Clear All

• Better Scalloped Potatoes

Potatoes for your family
    Almond Milk
    Grated cheese
    Salt
    Pepper
    Paprika

Boil enough potatoes for your family When they are done, cover them with cool water in order to cool them. When they are cool enough to handle scrape the peelings off.

Slice the potatoes in about 1/2 inch slices.

Place these in a casserole pan. Pour over them until pan is half full of Almond Milk.

Salt these.

Sprinkle your favorite grated cheese liberally over potatoes.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes until cheese is melted and milk cooks with the potatoes. Sprinkle with pepper, paprika and serve.

A recipe that I got in an email from Donna.

I love Scalloped Potatoes but never thought of using Almond Milk!

Alastair

Re: Better Scalloped Potatoes

Hey Alaktair

I never knew that you can get milk from an almond !! lol

Too rich for me with pepper, paprika etc...

Ranald

Comment

I'm sure I saw almond milk in the superstore so I'm going to try it. I don't think you need much at all of the pepper or paprika just a wee dusting.

When I make it I'll let you know what it tastes like!

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, I wanted to try this recipe but here is a problem these days my oven is out of order. I wanted to make it can I try this without oven if yes then how I could do so? any suggestions? But I don't want to compromise on its taste. I am waiting your reply because you always reply fast.
        Get more info on popular streets of the world.

Comment

I guess you could bl the potatoes and then mix up a sauce in a frying pan and then drop the cooked potatoes into the mix and co er them with the sauce.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair! Your shared tip is really effective I try this many times and found it very tasty. My brother is a big fan of your shard recipe is because you always shared nice recipes which are easy to cook. Would you like to tell me Do you love cooking or try this on just sometimes.

Comment

I really cook all my own meals and rarely eat out. I do eat a wide mix of dishes although breakfast tends to be fairly predictable. My main meals can often be dishes that will last two or three days. That means I will do various dishes like fish with boiled egg, a parsley white sauce and mashed potatoes and that will last three meals. Then I will buy liver and that usually means two meals. Then I'll get lamb chops and either grill then or do a casserole with root vegetables, etc. I'll do an Irish beef stew. Sometimes have a steak and fries or fish and chips. Sometimes a salad with shrimp and avocado pear. Odd time bangers and mash or baked beans on toast, scotch pie and beans,. I like curry so will have that usually with chicken. Then I will have pasta like macaroni and cheese or spaghetti with a sauce of some type. All pretty basic stuff really. I will make a Scotch Broth or Lentil soup and that usually lasts a week or more. Will have a burger from time to time.

I then just have some sandwiches for a change like egg salad, smoked salmon, cheese and chutney or even just plain roast beef. I'll sometimes do some fries with the sandwiches or take some potato chips. I often slice up a cooked boiled potato to put into a sandwich. Will have mince and potatoes or haggis from time to time and also an all day breakfast. I might also buy a cooked chicken from the supermarket. I like roast potatoes but I boil the potatoes and when done put them into the deep fat fryer to crisp up. Also have chicken maryland which is an old dish you don't see that often on menus. Also enjoy a liver pate with toast and salad or even a straight salad with beetroot and a cold meat. Sometimes also cheese like a Stilton with pickle and good crusty bread with a glass of port.

I will also have one off meals meaning it might be three months or more between having them. For example I will have stovies. I will have tinned corned beef as the basis for a meal. I will have sardines on toast or kippers. I will bake some link sausages with baked beans and mash. I'll even have a dish of cauliflower with a cheese sauce. I'll also do an omelette with a stir fry of vegetables and mushrooms or even just a plain omelette. Also a couple of boiled eggs and toast.

When my folks were alive we used to have our main meal in the middle of the day and then tea in the evening. The tea always included having bread, butter and jam on the table. We would often have sliced cold meats and cheese available so we would make up our own sandwiches and of course a pot of tea. We mostly drank tea but would have coffee from time to time but rarely with the meal. Usually coffee was had during the day or sometimes a special percolated coffee after a main meal but that was usually when we had a dinner party with friends.

I don't use much in the way of herbs or seasonings. I also don't do desserts that much due to being a diabetic. However I will have something usually once a month as a wee treat.

So tonight it's going to be chicken curry where I've made enough for two meals. To make it I purchased two jars of "Butter Chicken" curry sauce. So that just meant I fried up a couple of chicken breasts with an onion and green pepper. Fried that up in a pot for 5 minutes and then added the jars of sauce which simmers for 20 minutes. When I added the sauce I then added a cup of lentils. While that is cooking I do my rice. So once the curry is done I then just add the cooked rice and incorporate it into the sauce and then it's left overnight and then the next day I'll have my curry with a nan bread. On an odd occasions I may do some fries to have with it or if I have them do a couple of papadums. That meal just takes 30 minutes including preparation time. To add a bit of extra luxury to the meal I may incorporate some raisins, banana, boiled egg, raw tomato and onion, and some mango chutney.

So there you have it.

Alastair

Comment

I am glad to see your detailed post-Alastair. I must say it is good that you can cook a variety of dishes and often try them. I also try to cook but not a regularly. I am interested to know your receipe of chicken curry. Would you like ot share it with all of us detail recipie please!!

Comment

It's really easy... I just purchase a jar of butter or tiki masala curry sauce. Then cut up a breast of chicken and fry it in a little olive oil in a pot along with a diced up green pepper and small onion ( keep a little onion back). After 5 minutes I empty the curry sauce into the pot and simmer for 20 minutes. While that is going on I microwave a pack of Bistro Express Basmati rice in the microwave (2 mins). I then get some golden raisins, a hard boiled egg, dice up a small tomato and rest of the onion and mix them together and add to that some mango chutney. Once the curry has done its 20 minutes it gets poured over the rice and I then add the extras on top.

So at most half an hour and it's ready to eat.

If I was in Scotland I'd just phone the curry takeaway and they'd deliver it for me along with a nan bread. You can get nan bread in supermarkets these days.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                  X