X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leopard Shark Falls onto California golf course

Shark falls from sky onto Calif. golf course

SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. —
    Nobody yelled "Fore!" at a Southern California golf course when a 2-foot-long shark dropped out of the sky and flopped around on the 12th tee.

The 2-pound leopard shark was apparently plucked from the ocean by a bird then dropped on San Juan Hills Golf Club, Melissa McCormack, director of club operations, said Thursday.

No one was teeing up when the shark fell Monday afternoon, although some golfers had just left the area, she said.

A course marshal, who makes sure players maintain an appropriate pace, saw something moving around on the tee and went to investigate. He found the shark bleeding with puncture wounds, where it seems the bird had held it in its grasp.

The marshal put the shark in his golf cart and drove it back to the clubhouse.

"He went above and beyond," McCormack said.

The marshal, McCormack and employee Bryan Stizer wanted to help the small shark, so they stuck it in a bucket of water. Then somebody remembered it wasn't a fresh water animal, so they stirred up some "homemade sea water" using sea salt from the kitchen, she said.

"We knew we had to get it to the ocean as fast as possible," McCormack said.

She grabbed a photo of the shark before Stizer headed to the sea.

"When Brian put it in the water, it didn't move," she said, "but then it flipped and took off."

It's the first time anyone could remember a shark falling from the sky at the golf course.

"We have your typical coyotes, skunks and the occasional mountain lion, but nothing like a shark," McCormack said.

Re: Leopard Shark Falls onto California golf course

This morning I was in the bedroom which overlooks the top of my neighbours carport. We are higher up and only see the roof of the carport. I heard this loud bang and looked out the window to see a crow with a golf ball in its mouth.....lol! It had accidentally dropped the golf ball on the carport then picked it back up and flew away. I guess it must have thought it was an egg. There is a golf driving range about 1.5 kms up the road, so it must have stolen it from there.

Elda

Comment

Crows are supposed to be one of the smartest birds. But ravens, which are likely related to them, are also intelligent. The only place I have seen ravens is at the Tower of London, many years ago. Those looked the size of chickens, & did not move very fast!!! Kind of fat looking! Some American people have taught crows how to "talk". None I know, though. I enjoy how crows talk with each other....as have heard down at Cumberland Gap while camping. They get up early, & if they find something, they let the others know, & it can be rather irritating when one is bleary-eyed from sleep. Joan

Comment

Yes Joan, crows can and do talk, real conversations as they fly overhead in a group.

On several occasions, I have also seen them, 'dive bombing' buzzards, and attach just such a photo.

Ranald
        Attached Files

Comment

Magpies are pretty smart too. We have a couple of them.....must be a male/female pair we reckon. They come around almost every day, sometimes twice :smile: They come right up to the front door wanting their tidbits and if you are too slow to realise they are there, they sing until you come to the door. One of them takes the food from your hand but the other is a bit wary and you have to throw it a couple of feet away.
          Magpies will often dive bomb people during nesting season but they don't do it to people they know. Apparently they have the ability to recognise different humans. :cool:

Elda

Comment

Elda,

When we lived in the "Blue Mountains" a number of years ago regular visits from a family of magpies was always interesting, if you were a little slow in tending to 'their needs' they would tap on the wire screen door.as you stated, once they knew you 'dive bombing' attacks were a thing of the past.

Gordon.

Comment

Another one to enjoy.................................. "hand feeding cheeky magpies on knee in Australia"

Comment

Working...
              X