• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Endless, Irrational Political Campaign

The Endless, Irrational Political Campaign

By John M. Grohol, PsyD
    Founder & Editor-in-Chief

Sometimes I’m not so sure what the point of democratic elections are.

After living in one of the largest democracies in the world all my life, I get more and more disillusioned with each passing year.

Why? Because each year the same pattern repeats itself. Endlessly.

This is especially true every four years when we go to the polls to elect our next President. Presidential candidates regularly make promises and pledges about what they can do to “fix” every problem afflicting us today.

One politician says he can “lower gas prices” and “turn around” the economy. But when asked how exactly the presidency can impact gas prices, you just hear more rhetoric about “turning around the economy.” It’s a circular argument. And a ridiculous one at that, since the President has no more influence on American gas prices in the U.S. as the Queen of England does. That is to say, there’s little a President can do on his or her own to change the price of gas at the pump.1

The same is true of the larger economy. We don’t live in the Soviet Union, where the government oversaw planning and exerted a large amount of control over their economy. We live in a free, capitalist society where the government has only marginal influence on the economy. American federal government isn’t at all like a big business — it’s like a big government, which is a completely different thing altogether.

From a psychological standpoint, I understand our human nature to want to believe these ridiculous things candidates say. We want a “strong leader” who can fix all of our modern problems.

But we don’t live in times where leadership strength is a guarantee for anything. In our system of government, bipartisanship is the only thing that gets actual work done. Without cooperation between our (largely) two party system, nothing gets done. So, somewhat ironically, the perceived strength of a President lies in the willingness of a Congress to cooperate through compromise.

About this point in time every four years, I simply get fed up at the ridiculous things both candidates say — both about what they can do, and what they say about their opponents. I tune out because all reasonable debate has now been thrown out the window in an effort to turn those handful of voters who haven’t yet made up their minds.

And I have to say that, if a week or two before the election, you are still “undecided,” you’ve got me at a complete loss. The two candidates have been talking about their positions for nearly a year now, so there’s no excuse for not having made a decision.

Whichever way it goes, you’ll find a democracy that will remain free, largely unchanged, and largely stuck in the same global economy morass that people around the world are experiencing. No single person can change things in a democracy (at least not any longer). That’s sorta the point of a democracy (versus, you know, a dictatorship).

We live in modern times, and it’s about time our understanding of the impact of one person — even if that person is the President of the United States of America — has on the world. It’s a lot less than some of us would believe.

Footnotes:
    1.In fact, the U.S. is poised to overtake Saudi Arabia as the world’s largest oil producer! [↩]

This was posted in Psych Central online. And wherever one lives, it could apply, NOT just in America. Joan

Re: The Endless, Irrational Political Campaign

Unfortunately there is not much democracy in the United States. The lack of alternatives to the two existing political parties, keeps the country polarized. The tradition of closed primaries in 49 of the 50 states places the two political parties in charge of the election process rather than the voters. The lack umbrage with campaigning occurring two years prior to an election drags on far too long would suggest that aspiring politicians can pretty much do as they please.

Too many Americans have their hands out and as long as they get a sliver, don't seem to care where the money is coming from. The country is bankrupt. Elected officials represent their own interests and the interests of the groups that paid for their campaigns, not neccessarily the constitutencies the officials supposedly represent.

The focus on peteroleum keeps us hostage. The internal combustion engine has been around since 1858 and in spite of 158 years of advances, remains relatively inefficient in turning fuel into work. They should be in museums by now. There does not seem to be any will to develop replacement technologies that rely on energy sources that are not evenly distributed around the world.

The average citizen is held hostage to just about every interest group that can pursue their interests because they have the capital to do so. Richard Nixon was aware of this when he appealed to the 'silent majority' prior to covering up abuses during his administration.

I don't see anything changing for the better in my lifetime. I worry when are entering an age may be someday called the 'new feudalism.'

Comment

We certainly need a new political system but how we go about getting one is a whole other story.

Alastair

Comment

What I can't understand is how people can keep changing their vote. To me you vote for the party which most closely resembles your own principles so how can anyone keep changing their principles?

The other thing people do is to vote for personalities or good looks. What the heck does that have to do with the candidates ability to serve in parliament?

Elda

Comment

It's much the same situation "downunder", very few of the political representatives are "Worth their Salt", and that includes the leaders. Over the years it has decended more into personal point scoring than political action.

I think this Famous??? Chihuahua reflects my view of the political spectrum. http://revjim.net/archives/2005/08/r...-chihuahua.jpg

Comment

Hey,
            You have said it all. I agree with everything. I feel just like this little girl.

Comment

Boy...did I ever "set the cat amongst the pigeons?" I have never felt so frustrated in regard to an upcoming election as now. First, I think that there should be limited "political ads" on TV. Secondly, I feel that there is so much hatred at this point in our country. I have an opinionated daughter, who doesn't even see what is obviously "clear" to old MOM. I have also become fed up with the posturing of both parties. I guess I could go on....& on. But will stop for now. Joan

Comment

I'm not the only one who thinks campaigns drag on too long.

Comment

Working...
                X