Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molasses in Cold Weather

November 5, 2012

This fall weather I believe is how it would feel to take the pulse of a giant. Although the balmy breezes for the most part have prevailed still there is the sense that all at once the gigantic entity might move and bring down a great change in our lives. The patio is devoid of all the tropical like plants and instead of water sprinkled cement dry leaves whiirl around and about like little kittens chasing each other.

Sometimes I envy the Catholics who can fall to their knees on a padded bench to give thanks to
    their God and I would need a greatly padded board to help me get to my knees at this point and
    time in my life. To make myself clear there must be a sharing of the happiness and thanksgiving because Rod broke no bones from his fall out of the Apple tree. Only now can I tease him and ask, “Were you looking for Eve an apple up there?” Then and again this isn’t fair to the lovely lady I know who has that name, so best to leave that alone.

Comforters for the kids are almost all done, all but one. To work through that little project while Rod was going through pain kept me more or less sane. Caring for him is only a modicum of the times he spent beside my sick bed when I fought through the numerous surgeries in 1975.

The sorrows of the folks in the east who are suffering the loss of their homes, 3000 of those in our faith alone, almost makes me wish to email the presidential campaigners to ask them to forget themselves long enough to move in those trailers from Katrina just for a brief place for those folks to get in out of the weather.

Only one tip comes to mind at this point and that is of teaching the kids to develop a taste for Molasses by mixing it half and half with Maple pancake syrup. Early day Oklahoma people who were my folks kept sorghum molasses on the table and often that on biscuits was the dessert. The ingredients in the molasses is a wonderful tonic for fighting a cold.

To end with a joke, my nephew came from California for a visit. When mother was pouring the thick
    dark syrupy stuff on his toast he asked,

“What is that?”

“Molasses!” Mother said.

“Molasses?” The child was big eyed.

We had to laugh to realize he was ,no doubt, thinking about our little Scottish Terrier whose name was, “Molasses.”

So with that the giant who holds the power to bring a sudden burst of cold down upon us, is for the
    moment lethargic and seemingly willing to keep the weather warm enough for the molasses to pour
    easily.
Working...
X