Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam

Hey... I've now found a way to delete all these spam messages with just a few clicks. So managed to remove all the 99 messages from the spammer that has been invading our community. However there must be another option to update things as I note all his/her messages are still listed on the system but if you click on any of them they are not there. I'll be checking how to update the messages so that his message won't show on the list of new messages. In the meantime if you read the non spam messages then just "mark all messages read" he/her will disappear.

Alastair

Re: Spam

Having gone through various options I have now changed the way we accept new members. Nothing I have done will affect existing members only new ones. Now this won't affect any spammers that already have accounts with us but as they reveal themselves they'll be banned and their messages deleted.

I have now changed the "Forums" link in our menu to go to a new page where there is a prominent link at the top of the page to go to the community for existing members or those that just want to read as guests. However if you want to become a new member then we have changed the procedure and I explain it on that page at http://www.electricscotland.com/application.htm

Now this doesn't mean it will stop all spammers but I think it will stop the vast majority of them but time will tell.

Alastair

Comment

Thank you Alastair, I really hope it works.

Ranald

Comment

Al, i'm pleased to see you are doing something about the spam, it has been a very annoying issue for me for some time. It has also been the reason i only spend a short time on ES and don't bother to post. Maybe now, if this measure works i shall become more involved.
        Thanks for your efforts in this..
        Euan..

Comment

It's been annoying me as well Euan as I've had to deal with it when I could have been doing other things. I just wished there was some way to find these spammers and put a bullet through their head.

Alastair

Comment

I totally agree with Euan, as because of the "spammers", I've not been "on line" as much. Kind of creates some fear, or loathing, not sure, in me. Thanks for all you do, Alastair. Joan

Comment

We will continue to get spam in as there will be some spammers that have accounts with us so while no new spammers should get in we still need to deal with existing ones. However when they do spam they'll be quickly banned and their posts removed. Like this morning I noted around 66 messages on football jerseys so they have been removed and the spanner banned.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Alastair

Yes I saw that hey had 'taken over' the board !!

It must be very galling when you have already a full days work.

Thanks for your continued work.

Ranald

Comment

Originally posted by Ranald View Post
                  Hi Alastair

Yes I saw that hey had 'taken over' the board !!

It must be very galling when you have already a full days work.

Thanks for your continued work.

Ranald
                  I agree.

Gordon.

Comment

Working...
                  X