Muir of Ord Golf Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muir of Ord Golf Course

One of the stranger courses I have played in Scotland is Muir of Ord near Beauly, Inverness-shire http://www.muirofordgolfclub.com/

It is a relatively short course at 5500 yards, interestingly divided in half by a railway cut of the West Highland Line. The front nine is relatively flat with few hazards other than the typical rough of gorse and heather, but the back nine on the other side of the railway cut is quite hilly. One par 3 hole is a blind shot uphill to a small green and, unlike many courses in Scotland it actually has some TREES in a few places.

One thing that will surprise visitors is that most of the locals play golf in the evening after dinner, taking advantage of the long daylight hours of summer in the north of Scotland. During most of the day, even on Sundays, you can tee off relatively easily. I recall my wife and I going to play on Saturday morning when most courses in North America would have line-ups. To our surprise, the pro shop wasn't open yet, and a local said: "Och, just tee off and pay your green fee later, the pro doesnae come in too early on weekends."

Re: Muir of Ord Golf Course

I spent an whole day playing it a few years back, the sun was splitting the sky and it hadn't rained for weeks. It must have been the hardest walk I have ever had on a golf course, my feet were aching after 36 holes......mind you I never noticed it much after a few beers in the Drouthy Duck in Conon Bridge!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X