A Hundred Years in the Highlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hundred Years in the Highlands

By Osgood Hanbury MacKenzie of Inverewe (1921)

PREFACE

My uncle, Dr. John Mackenzie, having left behind him ten manuscript volumes of Highland Memories, covering the period 1803 to 1860, and I, who inherited these manuscripts, having reached the age of seventy-nine, it has occurred to me that I might make a book of reminiscences which would give pleasure to those who reverence ancient customs and love the West Coast Highlands.

I make no pretence to the art of the writing man. The reader must be kind enough to imagine that he is sitting on the opposite side of a peat fire listening to the leisurely memories of one who has lived a great number of years, observant of the customs of his neighbours, attentive to things of the passing moment, and who finds an increasing pleasure, after a life of the open air, in dwelling on the times that are gone.

If my book should give pleasure to its readers, I shall be glad; if it should do anything to deepen affection and give them reverence for the noblest memories of our Scottish past, I shall be humbly grateful.

OSGOOD HANBURY MACKENZIE.
    Tournaig, Poolewe,
    March, 1921.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...dred/index.htm

Alastair
Working...
X