X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Dunlap and My Oklahoma

http://www.reverbnation.com/chuckdunlap

Chuck Dunlap Our Cousin

Chuck Dunlap a descendant of Gramma Bell’s sister, Charity Parilee Collins Dunlap.

Chuck visited us some years ago. My oh my how the children enjoyed his songs and his guitar.

With his heart tugging melodies I too, endeavor to send along a bit of the Oklahoma happenings. No matter how old I get my quiet moments are filled with the adventures of the lovely Oklahoma people all around me.

The artist, Earl Fairchild, sat a table in the smoking section in a local café. It is a private place and despite the smoke we always enjoy the space. Earl had his elbows resting on the table and commented, “I’m enjoying my own private gallery.”

The walls were lined with his pen and ink totally intricate detailed pen and ink drawings of scenes of rare and interesting subject matter. There was an old
    car parked outside and older barn, a painting of a light house, another barn and on and on.

The man was a wealth of history of the area and we enjoyed his ramblings of this and that place even up to the long gone house of ill repute with the infamous lady’s name who kept it.

Earl shared a bit of his technique with me and that was a good thing, too. He said he used a felt tip pen. To work first on a napkin was his advice because you learn how to use the proper pressure on your pen.

Don’t know if I mentioned meeting the now famous “Pioneer Woman,” Ree Drummond or not. She’s a woman whose strength and beauty are not even
    caught on the filming of her cooking show right there on the Drummond ranch.
    Her easy conversation put me at ease. Ree's a real country woman now even though she admits to have come from the city. Her husband “The Marlboro Man,” as Ree calls him, and is he ever. Ladd is as good looking as any movie star. He flashes a wide grin as he helps her entertain and cook on her show.

Seems my life has been one of adjustment so bits of pieces of frivolity have carried me through and so it is now. To keep thinking of special little projects is how I survive. The cards I’ve illustrated of the old chief’s sayings are now up in the Standing Bear gift shop.

A friend cut up 8x10 pieces of Masonite for me and my goal is to do all those in small illustrations of Ponca language words. Today’s was an illustration of a Native man gathering a plant. I called it, “Mon kah, medicine.” I plan not to sell these but to make copies to frame for the gift shops which will be affordable.
Working...
X