Chilocco Alumni Meeting at Standing Bear Museum, December 14, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilocco Alumni Meeting at Standing Bear Museum, December 14, 2012

By the way we had a Chilocco Alumni meeting this last week at the Standing Bear museum. There was a small group and a wonderful meal after the meeting. I made up some Chilocco cards with the dates, May 30-Jun 2 of the upcoming reunion for 2013. They were hand
    illustrated with a brave and a tee pee. Everyone seemed to be thrilled to have the cards.

The reunion last year was simply exquisite with the lake, mown lawns and
    clean interior of the student union building where the memorabilia was set up. There was a museum quality about the displays that were simply grand.

My grandchildren enjoyed racing along the sidewalks with Rhonda in her wheelchair, and fishing in the lake. My son parked his r.v. vehicle close and I was able to take a nap there in order to get through the day.

I sat my painting up on the long patio in front of the Student Union building and everyone seemed to enjoy those. My little granddaughter took care of sales of my handmade Chilocco memorabilia cards. The sales paid for our day there, food, gasoline, treats for the kids. We were the last to leave and didn’t go until dusk. As always it was very hard to say good-by to the dear old campus.
    The warm breezes off the lake, low branches of the trees on the patio, view of cared for campus was a memory to be sealed in our minds.

This year it was discussed at the meeting some folks want to camp out there. I personally think this is a grand idea and would be an excellent way they could bring their children with them. The thought of having r.v.’s on campus was talked about, too. I’m sure this would increase the number in attendance as well as allowing young descendants to learn about their parents, grandparents alma mater.

The owners of the grounds through lease and shared tribal interests would have to be agreeable. I’m sure the tribes would agree, but the federal entities might be of another opinion. We are, after all, their guests and must be careful about making demands which could easily be denied. This makes me a bit sad, again, to think we as alumni are not really free to visit our school.
Working...
X