Our fires and firesides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our fires and firesides

The above book put on the site today, astounded me, of the knowledge known on the subject at that time - 1874 !!

Even central heating by waterpipes, the paragraph follows here;-

[quote starts]
    Instead of letting the heat away into dead walls, we should let it into one or two other rooms, and instead of letting so much heat out at the top of the chimney, make it heat one or two apartments in different storeys. This has actually been done by a clergyman near Dumfries. 'Then, there is the heating of a whole house by means of hot air pipes, by means of hot water, or by means of steam. The kitchen fire, with any of these, would render any other fire entirely unnecessary in a large house; and what people would in former years have scouted as un-British, &c., will, in the year 1875, be adopted as eminently practical and necessary, and we will wonder at our own slavish conformity to a wasteful custom.
    [quote ends]

We think that central heating, was 20th centuary !!

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 18 December 2012, 12:05.

Re: Our fires and firesides

Mind you I believe the Romans had a form of central heating Ranald.

Alastair

Comment

They most certainly did. Hot air underfloor type.
      Sandy

Comment

Oh dear..... I had forgotten about that !

Ranald

Comment

Too bad it didn't catch on with the general populace of Scotland until recent years. My fondest winter memories of my youth were the delightful patterns Jack Frost wove on the window of my bedroom, and dragging my icy clothes under the blankets to warm them - sometimes even trying to don them while snug in my cocoon!! Those were the days!!!

Comment

Working...
          X