• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balvormie Farmhouse

Click image for larger version

Name:	Balvormie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	24002I have been fortunate to receive a photo of the house and farm buildings from where i lived in Scotland up till the age of 6. Balvormie, for those who don't know is now part of Beecraigs Country Park, and is situated in the Bathgate hills near Linlithgow. Sue and myself managed to visit when we were in Scotland last May, however the only signs of the property is the stones from the house which were used to build the wall for a carpark.
    Originally the house was build around 1830, and was owned at some point by the Nimmo family. Afterwards owned by the government, which decided to use the lands and surrounds to plant a pine forest, hence our move to Australia. The house was demolished some time after 1961.
    Euan..

Re: Balvormie Farmhouse

Nice to get such a picture to share with the family.
    Sandy

Comment

Given the date of the house it is a pity it couldn't have been preserved.

Alastair

Comment

Al,typical of governments at the time..historical value versus monetary gain...latter wins..
        It would have been nice to visit the place as it was when we left...instead we found a carpark. The pond is still there just over the road. And cockelroy brought back memories..
        I do have a photo of my grannies house, it is still in one piece..I shall post a pic when I get time..
        Euan..

Comment

Sandy, the photo was found in the council archives in Linlithgow and was given to me from my sister who was over there in August. She also has some further history on the place but as yet she hasn't given it to me.
          Euan..

Comment

Hi Euan, I made my first visit to Linlithgow in September. The castle and its location are very impressive. There was a huge fashion show there a couple of weeks ago.
            Sandy

Comment

Sandy, I'm very surprised you have not been to Linlithgow until now..a visit to the Palace would have been a short trip even for someone from Glasgow..
              Euan..

Comment

I am sure that I have been 'through' the town before the motorways were built but this was certainly my very first visit to the Palace. What a great location...
                Sandy

Comment

Working...
                X