The Robe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Robe

Bill filled two mugs while Bernice moved one of his high stools to the counter. She sat, said, "nasty scratches here, not from the brick, surely" ? Bill nodded, "you were here" ? Bernice ignored the question and said, "you hurt Marg, badly, your lucky not to be in the hospital, it's maybe where you should be but Marg told us to butt out
    ....any idea why you did what you did or is ripping the heart out of someone a habit with you (?)....your rep says your a Mr. Nice Guy, but not so, issit" ?
    Bill was angry, seething inside, ready to lash out but chose sarcasm, "Mr. Nice, issit, no, not really, hardly Mr. Nice with a failed marriage on my side of the ledger, or is that news to you". But Bernice was aware of that, a sneer on her face and said, "give me a break, most people who know you are aware of your "failure"(?), not sure about that but you have received more than your share of condolences" and she knew she had wounded him.
    More softly she said, "I do know about failed marriages, about the "did I do enough" and so does my sister; she beat herself unmercifully over that damned fruit, and yes I know that "fruit" is no longer acceptable but I hated that bastard from day one. And for the first time in days, Bill saw a glimmer of hope.
    He said, "where is Marg now" ? and Bernice stared at him before replying, "what business would that be of yours, your done, it is over, unless you are going to offer an apology". Bill answered, "yes I am, get down on my knees, beg, whatever it takes....you are not here to throw garbage my way, your first thoughts would have been about removing my balls with a rusty knife, now, please tell me where Marg is".....and she said, "Ottawa, might be back on Thursday but don't you hold your breath for a make-up"....and Bill said, "perhaps not but it sure as hell deserves a shot"

Comment

Bernice was less than two minutes out the door, Bill was looking for his calling card; he had no long distance plan, cursed Bell then smiled when he found the card. But before using the phone he needed a number from his computer, an old friend, a drinking buddy from the distant past.
      He found the number he was looking for, activated his card and dialed. Ten rings before an answer, "WHAT", and Bill replied, "morning to you too, Ray, how's the hangover"...and Ray replied, "where in the f*** are yuh" and Bill told him, "Urbania, south west Ontario, and I need a favour"....."of course you do, over thirty years and all I hear is you quit the drink so, because you need a favour you think of old Ray, shoot, tell me".
      Bill asked if the "club" was still in existence. Ray laughed, said, "of course and same rules, only regulars on Sunday". "And" replied Bill, "Ray will be at there by one.....now here is the favour, a lady friend, special Ray, really special, is in Ottawa, she is an expert on power skating, could be for the 67s or one of the other leagues but someone at the "Montagnard" will know".
      Ray said, "you in the book?....and when he heard the "yes", continued, call you before three, after three I might not know my own name", and he hung up.
      Bill sat and recalled some of the old days, the club was steeped in hockey history, dated back to the 1920s, had some great teams and produced a few NHLs, anything to do with hockey in the Capitol, the club would be aware of.

Comment

Bill was up-beat, sure that Ray would call. Busied himself in the kitchen; a cheeseburger, a few fries, a glass of pepsi and the easy chair in front of the TV. TV not watched, not really aware it was on, plans, thoughts, thinking of a good outcome; was sure he would meet Marg at the airport, apologize, beg forgiveness and, and, and, the ands bringing a smile to his face.
        A quarter to three, hearing aids in place and Bill is eyeing his phone. A quarter past three and he is starting to wonder. Half past three and he is imagining putting a real beating on Ray but knows for sure that this is not a good thought.
        Returns to the easy chair and changes channels. Still not paying attention but is calming down. He realizes that by now Ray has had a snootful and he should wait until tomorrow before calling again.
        A quarter to five and his phone rings. From Bill, "hello", other end, "hey, buddy". Bill, "you rotten, no good, drunken S.O.B, by three you said, I should visit and kick your ass" before he could continue his tirade, Ray yelled, "i'm sober you bastard, my Sunday at the club shot all to hell because YOU need a favour, and before I forget, your ass kicking days are long past....now, just shut it and listen, someone wants to talk to you".....and another voice from years past said, "hello lover, long time no hear from you". Bill was taken aback but managed, "Nola (?) ehm, yes, a very long time, it was" but Nola, voice a little louder, said, "don't remind me".

Comment

Nola laughed, said, "oh Bill, such a time back then, you, me and Lottie in that damned clinic and at the end of the day it was two with and two without and you were clean as a whistle". Bill chuckled and said, "a lucky time for me", followed by, "wait a minute, Lottie too was cleared". Nola continued, "yes she was, Bill, there was a woman in the General who was not cleared, and now you are wondering about privacy and how do I know, well, the lady who gave you the shot is a relative, you know how these things work....anyway, your shot was a precaution...or...she may have wanted a look at your ass, believe what you will".
          "But now you want to hear about Marg; a long time since I have seen her and don't ask me how I know her, that is her business......she is staying at my place, we get along fine, her ego has taken a beating and you may know something about that, but she flies out of Ottawa on Thursday, arriving London around noon, twelve fifteen, I think, Ray has flight information and wants to talk to you...I love the sound of your voice, often wonder what might have been, and....I am really pleased you are sober, bye lover, if things don't work out, get in touch".
          Ray took the phone from Nola, she kissed him on the cheek and said good-bye. He said, "i'll call you" and a laughing Nola said, "heard that one before".
          Ray spoke into the phone, "okay bud, i'm going to give my e-mail addy to you and when you get in touch I will reply with all the info...Marg is going to know you have called, also that you have talked to Nola, they don't keep secrets from each other....it's been years you know, anyway, you know, I got room if you ever wanna visit".

Comment

Bill sat at his computer, added Ray to the address book. Mind reminisced, a ten minute interlude. Aloud said, "yes Mr. Dickens, good times and bad times", before he typed a message to Ray.
            Bill had a good feeling about everything. He saw no problems, would meet Marg at the airport in London, perhaps dinner and a room for the night. Coffee time or perhaps something to eat; Ben Ash's came to mind, a deli in Montreal, best pastrami on rye anywhere....oh so long ago and Bill didn't know if Ben's was still there; he settled for "timmies" and their grilled chicken salad.
            Timmies was uneventful, Lynda asked if he was going to manage a make-up. He said he hoped and Lynda said, she hoped too. Heading for home he felt lucky, stopped and bought a scratch ticket.
            He opened his door and decided to leave it open with the storm window down to let the breeze do it's thing, weather far too warm for November. Put his ticket on one of his high stools but before he could start, the phone rang and it took ten rings before he found it. Finally, "hello" was followed by, "Don't know what your plans are but if they include picking my sister up in London, forget it, Marg called and is very clear on you staying away from her and Bill, do listen, believe me, Marg wants no part of you, she has already made arrangements"....Bill was silent....Bernice continued, a much softer tone, "Bill, maybe it was never to be but if you think there is a chance just have a bit of patience, maybe a month from now, in the meantime, take it easy" and Bill was left with the dial tone.

Comment

Bill mumbled and grumbled to himself. He thought of the roller coaster ride he was on, flying one minute and in the pits after talking to Bernice. He was going to figure this out and came up with a number of choices; wire flowers to Marg, dial Nola's number and talk to Marg, call Bernice, do nothing until Thursday then go to the airport....perhaps call Stan.
              Tillie was Stan's better half and she answered on the second ring. "Hello", "hi Tillie, can I talk to Stan", "maybe, how come you always want to talk to Stan when i'm the brains in this family, anyway, you two planning on killing me for my money"? then she broke into laughter and yelled, "Stan, your buddy ain't dead yet and needs a word, or two, or twenty minutes of your time".
              "That woman is never going to change, so what's up my man" ? Bill told his tale and added, "almost know what you are going to say, "wait it out, be patient". Stan answered, "going to put you on hold, need to grab my coffee and go to the den (Tilly was heard to say, "not nice to keep secrets from a wife of fifty years you know") and Stan said to her, "need to put on my "Dear Abby" costume" and there was a click.

Comment

Stan got right to it, "okay, a couple of points, maybe three or four, but first we repeat what we talked of many, many years ago....I talk, you listen, your choice to do what you will but", and Bill interrupted, saying, "I know, I know, short term, long term but only for my good", and Stan laughed, before continuing, "right on".
                Stan recalled the early years of their friendship, though, at the time, much of their conversations were not friendly; Bill could be quite mule-headed. Stan spoke and Bill listened, "you know when you hated all the sayings, especially "let go and let God", well that is one you might consider", and Bill said "just" and that was all he got out before Stan said, "shut it, shut it right now or this conversation is over, I talk and you bloody well listen....no reply from Bill....good, now...last time you were like this you barely spoke to me, a simple explanation, you KNEW you were on a one way street, KNEW what you felt and damn well knew that the other party did not feel the same and you thought I would tell you to bail out...which I may not have".
                "But this time is different because you have laid a severe hurt on someone, someone you have come to realize MIGHT have really strong feelings for you, so we MIGHT have a bit of guilt mixed in. The sister may well be right, let it go for a while, not easy for you, however you do have one thing which took time to acquire, "acceptance", member how awful that was to accept, and I had as much trouble with it as you did...and I do know you would sooner be "doing"".
                "Okay here is what I think you should do....nothing for the remainder of the day, do your review of the day when you are ready for sleep and before falling asleep a small prayer to you know who wouldn't hurt...plus....first thing in the morning simply ask for acceptance, accept what others have advised and see how your day goes".
                Bill said, "thanks Stan, i'm going to try"

Comment

When Nola was leaving Ray's place, the last she heard was, "they don't keep secrets from each other" and she thought, "I wonder" because while Marg had been ranting about the rotten S.O.B., the name "Bill" did ring a bell but Nola didn't realize until later that the "Bill" was well known to her and breaking that to Marg might be very difficult.
                  Nola did know that Marg had taken a lover in order to have a child, knew that she had done that twice with the same man, knew that man was unaware of the pregnancies until the kids were grown. Nola had one child, conceived when she, two years before meeting Marg, had an affair with the best friend of Marg's future paramour. Marg knew this and knew that Nola had had other affairs, just didn't know that her Bill knew Nola in the biblical sense...to tell or not to tell was troubling Nola.
                  Nola arrived home having decided to tell Marg that she knew Bill, how MUCH she would disclose was something she wasn't sure about. She opened the door and yelled, "anyone home" and Marg answered, "just me and I am here for another hour, then being picked up for an hour at an arena in Nepean".
                  Marg was sitting at the kitchen table and Nola said, "I just talked to your Bill, actually I know him from many years ago, he spent time in the nations capitol" and Marg stared at her for a full minute and then said, "you slept with him, jeezuz H, why didn't you tell me", and Nola answered, "just back off, I knew him thirty some years ago, long before I met you, in fact some time before my daughter was born". At this Marg's eyes widened but before she could open her mouth, Nola, voice raised said, "no, don't be ridiculous, you know who fathered Carol". Marg retorted, "so, you knew him, you gonna fix things for Bill, in a pig's eye" and that is when she called her sister.

Comment

Marg finished the phone call to her sister and turned to Nola, "so, you had a long affair with the rat, probably have a higher opinion of him that I do, so, time for me to pack, I will get a room"....Nola shook her head, no and Marg continued, "no, NO, the hell with your no, I do as I please" and again Nola shook her head, adding, "please Marg, not like this, I cannot change the past, wouldn't if I could, and you are part of my past, a part which is so very important, please" and Marg saw the tears, felt her own and the two held each other.
                    A few minutes passed, Marg whispered, "I was kidding" and Nola replied, "good" and they parted, each wearing a huge smile. Marg said, "one thing, no talk of that S.O.B."...Nola laughed, answered, "your choice but I think we have to, in fact I think we need to".
                    Marg was thinking "no way" when the phone rang. Nola said, "hello" and after a very short pause continued, "oh my God, Lottie" and the "Lottie" co-incided with a look at Marg, which alerted Marg. Nola continued with Lottie and after listening for a bit said, "Lottie, I will call you in five minutes, I am right in the middle of something".
                    She hung up and looked at Marg, closed her eyes, licked her top lip, shrugged and the second her eyes opened, Marg said, "Bastard Bill knew Lottie, slept with her too, God is there anyone he hasn't diddled" ? Nola said, "Marg it was a very long time ago, Lottie slept with everyone, but, I like her, she is loose, a flirt, loves men and she does call me from time to time". Marg said "fine, lets invite her over, tell her to bring anyone else he shagged, you lot can have a reunion, I don't care because he means less than nothing to me".

Comment

Nola reminded Marg she was due at an arena for skating lessons. Marg said, "mh, hm, trying to get rid of me (?)...Nola, I want to meet your friend, listen to the fun the pair of you had with Bill, not a problem for me, if I ever meet him again I might drop a hint as to what I know, could be good for a laugh, in the meantime I will phone, make sure I am still needed" and when she hung up went directly to a window and said to Nola, "snow, snow, snow, first snow I have seen this year and the lesson is cancelled". Nola answered, "well, snowed a bit last week but nothing like this and the city will pray for cold, get the canal frozen, our five mile long skating rink".
                      Marg asked if the snow would be a problem for Lottie and was told it wouldn't; Lottie would take a bus or more likely a cab. They discussed dinner and when the doorbell rang, Nola said, "too soon for Lottie" walked down the hall and Marg heard her say, "you were quick, someone offered a ride". Marg heard Lottie laugh, heard her say, "I drove" followed by Nola and Lottie laughing.
                      The two came into the living room and introductions were made. Nola, anxious to hear about the "driving", said, "whats with the driving, you don't drive, never have" ?
                      A grinning Lottie said, "I do now, took lessons for three weeks, the instructor was great".....Marg said, "expensive ?" Lottie giggled and said, "no, only paid for one". Nola's comment was, "Lottie, surely not in one of those little cars", Lottie smiled, shrugged, answered, "somethings you don't need a lot of room for" before saying to Marg, "are you an old friend" and Marg grinned, "yes, matter of fact I am and the three of us might have something in common"; sarcasm was noticeable and Lottie looked at Nola who said, "Bill"....Lottlie laughed heartily, said, "God, I loved the old bugger, wow, three of us"....and she couldn't stop laughing but did manage...."he was something".

Comment

Nola agreed with Lottie, "yes he was, something and someone from the past". Lottie was laughing, "oh the fun, the skinny dipping and"...but she was cut short by Nola, "Lottie, Marg has just finished with Bill, doesn't want to hear about his past, so cool it". Marg answered, "the hell I don't, come on Lottie, tell", and Lottie looked from one to the other, very quietly said, "you know, I might have had more fun with Bill than both of you, I enjoyed everything, we were lovers but not in love, I knew he didn't love me, he said he did because I told him it was what I wanted to hear; perhaps I should go, this might not be a fun afternoon".
                        Marg was looking at Nola, Nola shrugged, said to Lottie, "I don't want you to leave, time we lightened up, had a few laughs" then looked at Marg and said, "keep in mind that we are talking about ancient history and YES, I was in love with him, Lottie knew that, also knew that he wasn't in love with me"
                        And they talked.

Comment

Marg was first, wanted to hear about the "skinny dipping". Lottie caught the look from Nola and in answer to Marg said, "wasn't such a big deal, in fact the first time" and Marg sort of lost it, said, "first time, first time, how many times did you do this", stopped when Nola slapped an open hand against the table and said, "no more, this is ridiculous, you want to hear then get bent all out of shape over things which happened thirty some years ago; your finished with him, GOOD, lets drop the whole subject.
                          Marg stood, looked lost, closed her eyes and said, "sorry, it's just, God I don't know, my re-actions are crazy, perhaps I cared more than I thought; tell you what, I will try to shut it", then a bit of a smile directed towards Lottie before she continued, "sorry Lottie, forgive me but I do wish you would tell about the skinny dipping, i'm sure there is a laugh there, someplace".
                          Lottie looked from Marg to Nola and Nola's eyes went to the ceiling and she shrugged her shoulders. Lottie said, "alright but no yelling at me, not like he, never mind, never mind; anyway". "We had been to Arnprior or someplace, he loved his ale, and on the way back I remembered about an old quarry, never thought about the water, just wanted a look at it". "We turned onto the old road and a few minutes later, the quarry was in front of us". "The day had been a scorcher and it was still very hot".
                          "Bill turned off the ignition and said, "what do you think" and I was naked in two seconds". "I ran straight into the water; not very deep, just past my knees". "He ran past me and dived when the water was a bit deeper". "He swam back and forth, sometimes on his back". She smiled at Nola, said, "you know how it was" and Nola crimsoned, added, "never mind just go on". Marg looked from one to the other and stayed quiet.

Comment

Before Lottie could continue, her cell phone vibrated, she giggled, excused herself and walked into the living room to take the call. While she was away, Marg said, "okay, what did she mean by, "you know how that is or was or whatever she said", and Nola answered, "Marg, c'mon, it was ages ago", then she sighed, said, "later, I will explain as best I can....i'm beginning to wish Lottie hadn't come". And Lottie, returning said, "why (?), am I embarrassing you". Lena, said, "no Lottie, it isn't you, it's me and Marg and memories of Bill, good memories for me and you but Marg is not liking what she is hearing and never mind her saying she is finished with him, if she was, she wouldn't care".
                            Marg addressed Nola, "THAT is nonsense, perhaps the memories are causing you to pine for something you have lost, i'm fine, dying to hear how the skinny dipping ended". Nola stood, said, "tea or coffee" ? Marg chose coffee and Lottie said, "back in a minute, I have wine in my car, not cheap stuff, a gift from my drivers-ed guy", and she disappeared down the hall, leaving two puzzled ladies, one because she knew that Lottie was not a drinker and Marg wondering about a new driver and wine.

Comment

Lottie returned with two bottles of wine, "chianti" in the wicker basket and a bottle with half the label missing. She explained, "these are from "Alex", my driver instructor, the one without the label is "araba"....I think". Nola asked "is it Spanish, Portuguese, or what" ? Lottie replied, "definitely not Spanish, Alex is, "Alesander", a Basque, and this is a wine from where he was born, a gift from a relative who removed the label.
                              Marg asked for a small glass of the, "one from Tuscanny" and Lottie said, "there's only the two, one dark and one light"....Marg said, "the dark, and I am going to have a crusty bun and hope there is some cheddar". Nola poured some of the "white" and produced a can o tuna and crackers. Lottie poured a glass of the "Araba", saw the looks from Nola and Marg and said, "i'm not driving, the call, Alex picking me up here....a night at the "Chateau Laurier" and he is all a woman could ask for, doesn't need wine".
                              Marg nodded her head in the direction of Lottie, said. "the quarry". Lottie smiled, "no problem....I was kneeling in the water, water not even up to my belly button, Bill swam for a bit, swam to the shallower part and stood, he was getting into the mood and I was hoping he would finally, you know". Marg, a bit testy, said, "no I don't, I don't know, I guess he had an erection but what is, "finally" (?) it can't be he had never had sex with you...can it" ?
                              Nola put a hand on Marg's arm, squeezed and made a diving motion with her other hand, saying, "perhaps you have heard enough"....but Marg hadn't.

Comment

Lottie was told to continue, Nola said to her, "leave nothing out, after all she is finished with Bill, might learn something she missed". Lottie looked at Marg and said, "this part you will like, you see, when Bill came towards me I was more than ready and told him what I wanted, I touched him, kissed him, you know...then he said, "back seat, I will spread the blanket", then he kissed my mouth, neck, and breast, pulled me to my feet, bent down and kissed my tummy before adding, "I go first".......I was so excited if I had touched myself it would have happened there and then....Bill was spreading the blanket and I was walking towards the car when I stepped on something very sharp, let out a yell and before I knew it, Bill was at my side".
                                "I fell over and Bill told me I needed stitches and all I could say was no, no, no, over and over. I begged him while he was wrapping a towel around my foot. I cursed him, said he was only half a man, finally I just cried". He drove to the "Civic" and a woman doctor used four stitches to close the gash".
                                "They gave me a set of crutches which had to be returned in a week". "The next stop was my place, Bill grabbed an ale and I told him I was going to pee and I expected him to finish what we had started.......when I came out of my bathroom, the bottle was empty and Bill had gone....I didn't see him for five days".
                                Lottie was lost in memories, a half smile on her face and Marg said, "did he ever" ? Lottie laughed, said, "almost, and if my very good friend here had done a better job of explaining what I had to do, I would have been in seventh heaven".

Comment

Working...
                                X