The Robe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Robe

Three ladies and not one an everyday drinker. Nola would have a glass of wine with a meal, Marg might have had two drinks per year and Lottie told Marg that she did not drink because it made her fall asleep and immediately after this was disclosed, Nola started to laugh, laughed a lot then said, "I remember that, you told me about the waiter who took you home", and she continued to laugh.
    Marg finished her "chianti", poured a glass of the white for herself, drank some and joined Nola in the laughter, with no idea why. Lottie wore a big smile and said, "yes, I remember telling you" and Marg wanted the details.
    Lottie had spent the evening at a bar which had a dance floor. She nursed a beer for most of the night, thinking that one of the band members would take her home; she knew them quite well.
    When the band had a rest, the jukebox would be plugged in and one of the band members would dance with Lottie. Near closing time and his girl friend turned up; Lottie was going to do without....until Armando.
    Armando asked Lottie if she needed a ride. She was a bit disappointed at the turn of event but not heart-broken. Armando brought a bottle of wine and off to Lottie's they went.
    Armando was not sure of himself, felt he would need to get some wine into this woman in order to stand any chance of bedding her. He poured, coaxed, and no matter how many times Lottie said, "no more wine", he insisted. Finally, Lottie said, "Armando, I have had more than enough wine, lets go to bed and hope I don't fall asleep, if I do, I will make it up to you in the morning.
    Lottie woke up, alone, evidence told her that Armando had enjoyed himself and she was annoyed, thought to phone him but vaguely remembered his wedding band.
    A few minutes later there was the door bell. Lottie jumped up, said she had to fly. Marg said, "what about the second skinny dipping with my Bill" ? Nola giggling said, "YOUR Bill" (?), is that the Bill you are finished with" " and Lottie said, "Nola knows the story, she will fill you in".

Comment

Lottie was gone in a flash. Nola left the kitchen and said, "gotta see what a Basque looks like". Marg joined her at the window and both saw Lottie going to the passenger side and the back of Alex as he was getting behind the wheel, As the car joined the few other cars, a hand from the passenger side was thrust into the air with one finger clearly visible; Nola laughed, said, "she will be giggling".
      Back to the kitchen and each sipped their wine. Marg said, "Nola, I am alright with this, really, and I am curious; what did Lottie mean when she said, "you know how that was" ? Nola answered, "okay but, we cannot let this come between us, I will tell you what I know, some of it you may not want to hear and I am saying nothing about Bill and I, nothing, not a word so don't ask". Marg nodded, said, "lets send out for pizza".
      They sipped wine, waited for the pizza and spoke of other things; Marg was not at all sure of how she felt.

Comment

Waiting for the pizza, talk was awkward, stilted, and this had never happened before. Marg said, "okay, perhaps your right, I feel as if i'm, I don't know, intruding maybe, lets drop the history, my curiosity will not kill me". Nola replied, "good idea" then laughed, added, "you should see the look on your face......I will, as Lottie said, "fill you in", though she is really the one who should tell you about he and her".
        Pizza arrived, was served, each had wine and Marg asked, "where did you meet Bill (?), all I want to know, honest, you and he are off limits". Nola answered, "office party......paused as if gathering thoughts, then.....exhaled, continued.....I picked him up, never did that before, blamed the drink, but, God, he made me feel good, my ex was in treatment, a sexless marriage, Catholic upbringing and my mom said I should pray, well I felt that my prayers were answered and I only wanted an evening, a quick fling, felt I was deserving....okay, enough about me, no more, no more, no more, this is about Lottie".
        Marg lifted a hand, "what did she mean by, "you know how that is"" ? Nola rolled her eyes, "well, he ehm, this is a little awkward....okay, Lottie met Bill before I did, met him in a bar, the bar was a downtown hot spot....they spent their first night at her place and the first night ran to three nights, Lottie was out of work at that time and Bill skipped, said no-one would notice.......the "you know how that is" had to do with him having, ehm, sort of a swelling, the part which hadn't been removed, I forget what they call it" and Marg said, "circumcised", noted the look from Nola and added, "i'm not blind you know, I did see it".
        Nola nodded, continued, "the swelling was, and this is what Bill said, because Lottie loved to be on top and her motion was a little different, more back and forth than up and down, now let us move on" and Marg said, "Nola, there is more, isn't there, c'mon, what else did he say"" ? Nola mumbled something then said, "let's finish the wine and pizza and I have a bottle of something in the cupboard". Marg retorted, "Nola, your stalling, for goodness sake tell me" and Nola said, "soon".

Comment

Nola brought two glasses and a bottle of "Tia Marie", to the table and to Marg's "what is it" ? answered, "a healthy drink because it is mixed with milk"; Marg thought this hilarious and laughing said, "whisky and milk, I don't believe it"; "not whisky" said Nola, "a liqueur and it tastes good" and a still laughing Marg remarked," gotta be more to it than, "tashtes good". Nola put a finger across her lips and said, "sshh, a secret"......the two were laughing, obviously feeling the effects of the wine.
          Nola said, "mutt" giggled, continued, "mutt, doesn't matter if you never heard of it, I will explain.....wanna try the tia" (?) to which Marg said, "no, think i've had enough". This was ignored and Nola poured two glasses, mostly milk, perhaps half a jigger of tia in each. She raised her glass, stood and said, "living room, let's get comfy".
          Marg was directed to a lazy-boy and Nola sat on the couch, said, "one sip, mutt, skinny dipping, phew, a long time ago, I was twenty-seven, anyway,"bottoms up" and she took a tiny sip, put her glass down, watched Marg take a lip smacking drink and smiled, "good girl".
          She opened her memories, began to speak and very soon the slurring of her speech had gone. "Mutt" was her starting point, "not sure how it is pronounced but Bill told me what it was, just remember this is about Bill and Lottie, they met a few weeks before I was with Bill".
          "Lottie was and is totally uninhibited, she loves it, everything, I told her once that she, more than likely, was the only woman interviewed by men's magazines which says "women love doing" you know what....and she does love being on top, though her favourite thing is something else"; Marg said she could guess, but there was a smile in her tone.
          "Mutt is the way is sounds, spelling is m a h o u t which I thought was mahhoot, but Bill uses mutt, the man who works with elephants, the guy who sits with his knees behind the elephants ears and thrusts backwards and forwards....and that is the way Bill saw Lottie when she was, you know".....Marg was not the least bit upset, between bouts of laughter said, "can see me doing that then saying, "remind you of anyone" ? then quickly added, "i know i know i know, this is just between us girls.
          Nola to herself said, "she ain't done with Bill".

Comment

Nola stood, drink in hand and said, "had enough, for now" walked through to the kitchen and placed her glass of, "tia and milk" in the fridge. In answer to Nola"s, "want to save yours" (?), Marg said, "no, never had this before, it's good".
            Nola then comfied herself on the couch and said, "where was I" ? Marg answered, "the swelling" and Nola laughed, "no no, enough about that, skinny dipping, this time in a swimming pool".
            "A Friday afternoon and Lottie phoned Bill, told him that a friend, Margo, was house-sitting for a week, the house belonged to her sister and had a pool....she suggested he visit his social club then walk over to the bar, around eight...Bill hesitated and Lottie added, Margo is meeting the drummer, she is really nuts about him but figures he might not want a date, unless he thinks a party is going to happen.....Bill said he would meet them".
            "At this time, Bill and I hadn't...anyway, their evening was a bit of a bust, the drummer's girlfriend showed up and Margo was quite upset....Margo had her sister's car and on the way to the parking lot said something about a threesome, but, she got talking to a guy in the parking lot and a minute later he had joined them".
            "Now, remember, this is from Lottie, I wasn't there...she said, arriving inside the house, Margo immediately un-capped a "fifty" for Bill and the other guy, then she and Lotie got naked and the new guy looked like he couldn't believe it, the girls went into the pool and very soon Bill and and the other guy joined them, Bill getting very close to Lottie and Lottie knew "it" was going to happen because Bill made a number of underwater visits".
            " Lottie stayed with her back against the side of the pool and after one of Bill's "dives" he put his back against the pool wall and said, "your turn". Nola gave Marg a description of the pool saying, "the pool was mostly four feet deep, and it was only under the diving board where you couldn't touch bottom".
            "Bill and Lottie had worked their way down to the far end, still at the side and a few feet from the diving board. And Lottie was more than ready, wanted Bill out of the pool or at least her out of the pool with Bill being extremely attentive. Bill held her, told her it was going to happen and they would use the diving board, Lottie thought they would get out of the pool but Bill had other ideas".
            "He had her reach up and hold on to the diving board, he went under the water and had her legs on his shoulders, came to the surface and reached for the board...he had barely started when Lottie's hands slipped and that is when Bill discovered that Lottie could not swim".

Comment

"Lottie, from waist to head was under water, one leg draped over the shoulder of Bill and the other started to kick, caught Bill where it is very sensitive and he went under, grabbing at the sore spot.....Bill surfaced, swore and heard Margo yell, "oh, God, she can't swim".....Bill brought a spluttering, coughing Lottie to the surface".
              "And, according to Bill, "the neighbours became a nuisance". Nola, looking at Marg said, "you okay with this" (?) and Marg, a big grin answered, "oh, yes, just thinking that the kick did no long term damage" and started to laugh........Nola's, barely audible,"lucky you" went unheeded but not unheard...she retrieved her drink from the fridge and continued.
              "Right, not sure who told me what, just remember how long ago this happened, and yes, after the office party, Bill was Bill, saw me, continued with Lottie, and, lets just say he was active".......Marg was no longer smiling, nodded, said, "and the bastard seemed so innocent".

Comment

Nola took a couple of sips, said, "trying to remember who told me about this and it might have been Margo". "Margo" (?), you know Margo (?) do you know a lot of Lottie's friends" (?) asked Marg, and Nola laughed, said, "no, met Margo after the clinic and maybe one or two others times in the bar". Margo raised her hand, "clinic, what you gave blood" ? and this convulsed Nola, who managed a "no,no,no, the clinic is another story Marg, not very important and, oh, never mind about that, perhaps later".
                "Anyway", and she took another sip, continued, "I like this"...Marg said, "NOLA, never mind the drink, the orgy in the pool or the damned clinic, for goodness sake, c'mon, tell me what went on". Nola nodded.
                "Okay, Margo told me about this part, said Bill got Lottie out of the pool, she coughed a bit then said, "I need mouth to mouth, AND". Bill started with the mouth to mouth, Lottie is a quick turn-on and was trying to speed things along when an angry voiced said, "shoulda let the bitch drown" and Bill moved very quickly, according to Margo, "Bill was mouth to mouth with Lottie, one hand fondling a breast and a split second later he went straight to his feet and his left hand flew to the underside of the man's chin"...seems at that moment the man started to scream because Bill was squeezing his.....Bill's word for them, "gonads"...Bill then hit the man with the side of a clenched fist, hit him square on the nose, a lot of blood and Bill danced the man around then pushed him into the pool", turned and said, "who in the ---- is that" ? and a woman said, "my husband, we live next door" and, still with Margo who told me, "she couldn't take her eyes of Bill's you know" and i'm told that neither could Margo".
                The lady yelled to her husband, "get out of the pool, go home and do what you are going to do and if you do, you know where I will be, first thing in the morning". Then she looked Bill in the eye, said, "he might call the cops, you might spend the night in gaol, but we will meet again", before adding, "I'm Candy and you might want to put something on before they pick you up".
                Ten minutes later Bill was in the back of a police car.

Comment

Nola told Marg, "i'm going to run through what happened as if I were there, most information came from Margo and a little from Bill.....don't look at me like that, Bill and I did talk, you know.......know something (?) this is nuts, you are bound and determined to hear what Bill was up to, many, many, years ago, a man you are finished with, God, you are full of it, lets stop this NOW....Marg said, "Nola, I promise this will not ruin our friendship, just give me a minute while I get another "tia", you want one (?). Nola said, "aw shit, might as well, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.
                  "Before Bill was hand-cuffed one of the cops sat in the kitchen while Bill was getting dressed; jeans, short sleeved shirt and sandals. Cop said, "no swimming trunks, skinny dipping and you didn't invite old Pete, perhaps why he is pissed off, anyway, any "golden" (?). Bill said he would have a look and the cop told him, "no, just sit, relax, don't want to cuff you until we leave".
                  Cop had un-capped three bottles just when his partner showed. Bill sat with the two cops and the second one said, "you a friend of Candy's" ? and Bill explained they had just met. Cop smiled, said, "for sure you are not a friend of Pete's, Candy is taking him to the "Civic" and they will pack his nose, might keep him in for the night".
                  Bill asked if he was being charged. Cop one said, "nothing to worry about, $14.00 fine and no record, probably won't even see a judge", cop two added, "Candy will bail you, she is one helluva woman, or so I am told". Bottles empty, Bill in hand-cuffs, into the cruiser and the ride downtown, a holding cell in the police station would be Bill's room for the night.
                  7:30 AM, Bill was awakened by the turnkey, handed a mug of coffee and offered cream and sugar. Also a small toiletry bag which contained, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush and a hand towel...fifteen minutes later he was standing next to Candy who was receiving a receipt for the fourteen bucks.
                  Bill followed Candy to her car, a cop standing guard because she was in a no parking zone. The cop said, "my pleasure" to her thank you and she drove off with Bill in the other seat.
                  Where too (?) and Bill told Candy where he lived. She said, "how does this sound, twelve pints of golden on ice, a room at the Rockcliffe Motel and this evening you can take me to the "Chamberlain's" in Aylmer for some county music and dancing (?).
                  And that my dear is all I know, perhaps Bill can fill in the details".

Comment

Marg nodded. She was eyeing Nola, her tongue tapping her upper lip, said, "Nola, there's more, isn't there (?)...did this Candy woman spend time with Bill, did they go to the dance hall (?), where was Lottie at this time (?) and why wouldn't Lottie have bailed Bill (?)...and would I be wrong in thinking the "IT" has a condition which your friend Lottie was too dumb to see"....you could have heard a pin drop, Marg said, "God I am sorry, shouldn't have said that about your friend". Nola was angry, really angry, seething, silent, grasping the edge of the table then quietly said, "you don't even know her, yes she loves men, has been with more than you and I and any other ten women we know, but she has been a wonderful friend, knew how I felt about Bill and not sure what I would have done without her, you have two kids to enjoy and I have one, she has none, although she is a mother, a mother at fifteen and her baby given over for adoption, no say in the matter........and, when we all die, if there is a heaven, Lottie will be admitted long before anyone I know". Marg had tears running down her cheeks, whispered, "forgive me".......Nola said, "of course, but no more talk, tonight".

Comment

Early, not yet seven when Marg woke with a start, had heard something but no light from the window made it difficult to see, then, "sh, sorry, didn't mean to wake you", Marg said, "Lottie" ?....Lottie whispering said, "yes, I need to shower, you go back to sleep"....but Marg had turned on the bed lamp, said, "what time is it, must be early, still dark outside". Lottie said "yes, half six or so, just gotta get my housecoat", and she dropped her clothes in a heap, put on the housecoat, took a toiletry bag from a dresser and was walking towards the bathroom, whispered, "if you need to tinkle, the door will be open, just don't flush if I am still in the shower, okay"..."okay" from Marg who thought it time to get out of bed.
                      Marg started the coffee, had bacon in the frying pan when Nola appeared, yawning, stretching, smiling, "the Basque must be needed at home, it's the only thing which would get Lottie moving at this time of the morning".
                      Marg poured two coffees, asked, "the scar on Lotties breast, is that from a bi-opsy" ? Nola's demeanor changed drastically, "what scar, you sure, wait" then she was out of her chair and into the bathroom.....pushed the shower curtain to one side and yelled, "show me".
                      Last edited by swiftest; 20 February 2013, 12:25.

Comment

Lottie looked past Nola and Marg mouthed, "sorry". Nola was shaking, said, "yes, Marg told me, probably thought I knew and I damn well should have, why (?), why could you not have told me, God, show me the scar" and when Lottie hesitated she turned, pushed past Marg, saying, "fine, do whatever".
                        Lottie was right behind her, pulled her arm and said, "look at you, going ballistic over nothing, a small lump" and she was naked. Nola touched the scar, said, "the pictures, what did they show" ? "Nothing, nothing to worry about", then Nola continued, "so, just a small lump with tiny hairs, not smooth" and when Lottie said, yes".....Nola, drew a quick breath and said, "chemo or radiation" ?
                        Marg had brought Lotie's robe, placed it around her shoulder; Lottie sobbing, looked at Nola and very quietly said, "I find out for sure, tomorrow, Friday they weren't sure, either way it starts on Wednesday" and as she clung to Nola, Marg went into the kitchen and left them alone, alone with each other.

Comment

Just a wee note to say thank you to those who are reading this thread.......I must admit to being lazy, easily diverted from anything I should be doing and constantly on the look-out for ladies who would take the time to have a coffee with me; I would love the ability to follow a schedule but cannae....but I will try and post far more regularly than I am doing at present: mind I dae have three days and nights in Huntsville (senior games bridge tournament), starting next Tuesday....however, unless I am very fortunate, I will have time on my hands.

Comment

Marg, alone with her thoughts; pain for what Lottie was experiencing and guilt. She did feel badly for Lottie but might have been more concerned about her friend Nola. Questioned herself, couldn't see a right or wrong in what she was feeling and decided to phone her sister.
                            Bernice picked up on the second ring, guessed who it was and said, "tired of Ottawa, missing your big sister and want me come get you when you land in London". "Not sure" said Marg, "I am definitely flying out of here on Wednesday, 10.00 in the morning, be landed and out of the airport by eleven, not really sure whether you should pick me up or not". Bernice laughed, said, "perhaps all over your snit and would prefer a man to do the chauffeuring". "Maybe" from Marg, "learning a lot about the S.O.B., perhaps have him come get me and I can tell him a few things for the hour we would be together".
                            Bernice remained silent, perhaps a minute passed before Marg said, "what" (?). "Not a good idea, just my opinion now, but you were hurt, nothing going to change that and no one gets even in these things so why not forget him for a while, not saying avoid him, too small a community for that, but this is your big sister saying what is best for you". Nola appeared in the kitchen doorway and Marg said, "okay, I will sleep on what you said but must run, love yah, will call tomorrow".

Comment

Nola, looking lost,, said, ""God, this is awful, i'm so sorry you are caught up in this, your visit should have been" and she stopped, continued, "Wednesday, damn Wednesday, the day you must leave and Lottie begins her treatment, stay Marg, please, an, an"......and Marg went to her, held her, Marg's turn to be a comforter and agree to stay.
                              Coffee had begun to perc when Lottie, half dressed, came to the kitchen, hugged Nola. Nola said, "shower time and when I am dressed, scrambled eggs on toast would be nice, Marg, if you would, Lottie might be the worst cook in the world".
                              Marg poured coffee for herself and Lottie. The pair sitting opposite each other, Lottie reached for Marg's hand, saying, "Marg, I know you know Nola for a long time, but, well, I think I know her too, what I mean is, it's about Bill, I think it still hurts Nola, probably hurts to talk about him, you know what i'm saying (?)" Marg nodded, smiled, said, "yes, I hear you, no more questions, if I think of any I will save them for you"....Lottie smiled, said, "good".

Comment

Marg did the cooking, Lottie poured juice, Nola, showered and dressed in a very smart pant-suit, sat and waited to be served. Lottie said, "I have to eat and run, things to do". Nola squeezed her hand answered, "and miles to go before you sleep", "but not today, I need you today, we have company, a special friend who needs to see our city...I know some of the spots and you certainly know others, like, "The Silhouette"...this has to be a fun day....and hon, no men".
                                Marg hurried her meal, had a fast shower, dressed in jeans and a bulky-knit sweater re-joined the other two. The dishes were already in the dishwasher and three very attractive women headed down the stairs......one in a pant-suit, one wearing jeans and the third dressed in a skirt which did not quite reach her knees. Each one an eyeful.....three together the stuff dreams are made of.

Comment

Working...
                                X