The Robe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Robe

Outside the apartment building and Lottie said, "rats", her car had a ticket. Nola agreed with Lottie that the ticket was not deserved, even as Marg pointed to a "no parking between the hours of 3.00 AM and 6.00 AM". Nola explained to Marg that there had been no snow removal and normally no tickets were issued unless the ploughs were being used.
    Lottie had to be dissuaded from driving, Nola said, "over my dead body" and Lottie giggled, said, "okay but my driving has improved a whole lot". Marg chose to sit in back, saying, "I will sit back here like royalty, decide which way I want to look and will not be paying attention when you two are saying, "oh, look at this or look at that", driver, you choose a route".
    Nola said, "right, how about a drive by the parliament buildings, then Sussex Drive, through the village of Rockcliffe and on to the aircraft museum"...Marg agreed and Lottie mentioned "Bill was...oops, forgot, won't mention him again". Marg sighed, "lordy, lordy, don't tell me he was sleeping with someone else". Nola laughed said, "he might have been but none of us knew him when he was in the service". Lottie started to say something then changed her mind but Marg had noticed, inquired, "Lottie, i'm immune, tell me he was shacked up while in the service and I wouldn't care" and Nola said, "please, no more talk of Bill".
    The parliament buildings were behind them when Marg asked if they could drive through the "market", a place which had changed, Marg recognized very little and they made a left back up to Sussex Drive.
    Houses of millionaires mostly hidden by trees, acacias, firs and many maples but the feel of the place was not forbidding or exclusive and Marg remarked on that. Also in that area the RCMP building, passed a few minutes before they made the turn towards the old airport.
    And the museum was closed.
    Lottie asked Nola if she would drive around to the other entrance and Nola complied. Lottie had to point out where a hotel had been which Bill had taken her to. She was told by Nola to "cut it".
    The other entrance made Lotie say, "oh my God, this is nothing like it was, even the buildings where Bill worked are gone"...then she quickly added, "had nothing to do with him in the service, he was a civilian civil servant and his boss was a woman, that is all I am saying".
    Nola looked at Lottie and Marg leaned forward saying, "Nola, let it go, Lottie means no harm and I am quite enjoying another look at what's his name".
    Nola turned the car around, said, "we are off to Quebec, "Mac-C" bridge, through Hull and a few minutes in the Sil, perhaps one between us, Golden, Fifty or X, Bill drank em all".

Comment

But the "Silhouette" was not to be found. Nola turned the car on to a side street, made a u-turn and parked. A touch of wistfulness when she said, "changes, not sure I like them". Lottie agreed and Marg offered, "there are always going to be changes, this Hull might not be what it was but I bet there are spots all of us would like"......Lottie nodded, said, "I suppose but when Bill was here, I know, I know, shouldn't mention Bill, but where we are wasn't called "Hull" it was "Val Tetreau", I loved that name and even then it really was a part of Hull...now we have people saying Gatineau, because Hull is part of the Gatineau region, Bill loved over here, loved the Frenchness of it...you know something, we should take a Bill drive, I don't know all of the places he liked but I do want to drive through Wrightville and see if "The Raftsmen" is still going.
      Nola smiled, "okay, good idea, I know about "The Raftsman", a great place for lunches, government pay days it would be full of civil servants because pay days they were given an hour and a half lunch"... and they were off to Wrightville, a section of Hull which only the older folk remembered.
      No "Raftsman" and the next stop was Gatineau Pointe only to discover that "Manior Papineau" had met the wreckers ball. Coffee was suggested and all three nixed Tim Hortons; it took a while but they found a small cafe with a bonus, the table cloths were checkered red and white....coffee and poutine to celebrate.
      At some point, Nola excused herself, said, "bathroom" but when she returned she had also used a phone, "we are invited to a sports club, Ray will sign us in".

Comment

The club was where Nola had met with Ray. Ray met them at the door, ushered them inside and said, "I saw you park, welcome to the "old" "new" club". Lottie remarked, "not the way I remember, did eh, oh never mind", as they walked into a room with a bar. They sat, comfortable easy chairs. Ray's suggestion of wine was met with two, "tia maries" and an ok which changed to, "make that three tia's" from Lottie and then her eyes took in the pool table in an abutting room and she had to have a look.....rejoined the others as Ray was serving the tia maries and said, "same old pool table I think, but the felt was green, wasn't it" ? Ray smiled, nodded, agreed that it had been green, "in fact it had been green a number of times, the felt sometimes wears out and sometimes it suffers rips"....Lottie blushed and laughed, "oh yes, I believe that", then she looked at Marg before adding, "Marg, I know he gave you fits but, well, would you mind if I phoned him, no, no, no, not now, later when I am home".
        Marg patted Lottie on the hand and answered, "Lottie, you phone him anytime you want, I really don't give a good goddamn"....no one made eye contact with any of the others and the air was icy.

Comment

The gloomy quartet sat in silence, Marg looking quite angry, the others a bit lost. Minutes passed and the silence was broken by the bartender, "Ray ! " and he nodded in the direction of an elderly man sitting in one of the comfy chairs, a quart in front of him and the glass half full. Ray excused himself, walked over to the man, smiled, offered a hand and said, "Paul". Paul shook his hand and said, "Ray, the young woman with the legs, ask her if she will join me for a drink, tell her we have a mutual acquaintance, and tell her I am nice"....Ray laughed answered, "Paul, I cannot tell a lie, going to ask her to join you but will warn her that you are a devious, horny, old man, but she will join you anyway". Then Paul said, "and say hello to Nola, a long time ago but I do remember her".
          Back at the table Ray said, "Lottie, the elderly man would like a few minutes of your time, he seems to know you and, Nola, he said to say hello to you". Nola said, "it's Paul, isn't it"...and Lottie looked, blushed and smiled, said to Nola, "no, I never slept with him but he....I wonder", then she got up and walked over to Paul, who rose, shook her hand and said, "Lottie, a fine looking woman yet, ah, those legs"...she kissed his cheek and sat.

Comment

"Paul, everyone's favourite waiter, you knew Bill" and they both laughed. Paul nodded agreement, a big smile on his face, "oh yes, and I look at you and think, "he was a very lucky man"...Lottie laughed, "you are a smoothie, Bill liked you, liked you a lot, said, damn, can't remember, something French" and it was Paul who was laughing, "je na c'est quoi"..."oh yes, that was it" said Lottie, "damn memory but some things are coming back".
            The drink had been brought to her and Paul nodded at it, "Tia and milk" ? "Yes" from Lottie with a puzzled look. Paul nodded a few times, "Beacon Arms, a divorced lady, her ex was a cop, big, hard SOB...and angry, knew about Bill and his ex. Could have been nasty but the lady sorted everything... told the cop, you hurt Bill and I tell everyone you have a useless dick.....not sure Bill knew what she saved him from.
            Lottie was enjoying his company, said, "Bill did have his share of good luck, some bad moments though" and Paul answered, "pissing blood not good, but you made him well"..........Lottie stared for a full minute, "you know about that, you stopped by, it was you who visited when I was out...he wouldn't tell me, told me nothing really, said he fell against a fire hydrant".
            Paul drew a deep breath, said, "I tell you this much....he was found by a very good friend, not in good shape, hospital needed but he was awake, came to when they were at the emergency and wouldn't go in, gave his friend your address...you met his friend and someone stopped by to see you everyday...now, no more talk of bad times".......Paul squeezed her leg above the knee....and winked.
            Lottie, wondering, a smile started in her eyes, said, "Paul, you must be near eighty, are you still, you know" ?....."Mon Cher, if you are not busy, I suggest a journey of discovery, we should start with the billiard room, something in there you might have met before". Lottie's entire mood changed in an instant, very quietly said, "he told you"......."no mon cher, I saw, the place was closed, I was the bartender, in the toilet to lock the window and heard two people laughing, Bill whom I knew very well and a beautiful woman I am hoping to discover".
            Lottie was not upset by what he said, "your kidding, you are making this up, what was I wearing"? Paul said, "to begin, a slim skirt, a top which tied, sandals and Bill had a why....do you remember what that was (?)...in that regard I agree with Bill".
            She laughed out loud, the others in the room stared at her, Paul said, "sshh" and she whispered, "my triangle, I thought it was cute, oh my God".

Comment

Paul stood, offered his left hand which Lottie accepted with her left hand; she held on and when standing the couple went arm in arm towards what Lottie referred to as the, "games room".
              Those at the other table(s) watched the pair. Lottie stopped, turned her head. looked at Nola and smiled before moving on with a more pronounced movement of her rear. Nola and Ray laughed and Ray added, "sashay". Marg wasn't smiling, "sashay, is that the Ottawa name for someone who wiggles their ass" ? Nola replied, "Marg, I remember when you weren't a wet blanket, for God's sake, lighten up, Lottie is looking at serious stuff and right now that is forgotten, Lottie is arm in arm with an attractive man, he is a charmer and by tomorrow she will have had a great time" then she softened her tone, added, "Lottie isn't only about sex and whether Paul is up to it or not, Lottie will enjoy her time with him".
              Marg apologized, "forgive me again, I just feel so, I dunno, maybe an outsider, look, would you mind if I went back to your apartment, I need to do a little thinking and I should phone Bernice about the change of flight, that if I am staying the extra day".
              Nola said, "perhaps time we both left, I will let Lottie know"......Marg shook her head, "no, Ray's chin just hit the floor, I think he might want you to stay for a bit, I can get a cab".....Ray's, "I'll phone" was immediate.
              The ladies hugged and Nola whispered, "you think" ? and Marg replied, "oh yes, he is almost drooling".

Comment

Ray said about ten minutes for the cab, time enough for Marg to have a few words with Lottie. Marg nodded towards the "games" room and said, "should I, just let her know I am leaving" ? Nola smiled, said, "sure, she wont be naked for a while......
                maybe".
                When Lottie and Paul had entered the room, the first thing she noticed was the cover, the tan cover, lifted one corner and said, "ah, it is green". Paul nodded, said, "yes but not always, the felt wears out or sometimes there are stains, and once it was ripped, that time Bill payed for a new felt, that was at the old place, he said he did it when his cue slid off the ball but it happened when I was bartending and Bill was with a lady, closed the doors....and I do remember what the lady was wearing".
                Lottie kissed him on the cheek and whispered, "stiletto heels and only time to get one of...our secret, right (?) and Paul said, "mais qui", returned the kiss but missed the cheek and Lottie gave as good as she got.
                Marg entered as Lottie was asking about the sliding doors. Paul said, "yes, from the old place but they are do not close all the way, we knew that before they were installed........no real privacy but felt lasts longer".
                Marg said she was heading back to the apartment and Lottie asked about Nola. Marg said "Ray" and Lottie said, "oh i hope so, he seems nice and she needs someone", then she hugged Marg and said, "you know you don't have to stay on my account, I just hope you do for Nola, she is a worrier".
                Marg turned to Paul and offered her hand, saying, "i'm Marg". Paul took the hand in both of his, lifted it to his mouth, kissed and said, "mademoiselle". Marg smiled said, "Madame, surely", to which Paul answered, "much too young looking" and Lottie added, "thats his ginny something".
                Ray walked Marg out to the cab and before getting in, Marg said, "be patient Ray, she has a lot on her mind". Fifteen minutes later she was offering to pay the driver but he said, "Ray has a tab", before pulling away.

Comment

Marg was away. Lottie talking "old times" with Paul. Ray about to get another X was stopped by Nola, a hand on his arm, said, "Ray, I don't want to sit here and watch you get drunk". He nodded, "okay, what do you suggest" ?. She shook her head from side to side, "sure as hell not what you are thinking, Ray, this woman is not looking for a quick roll in the hay, years ago I got tired of guys who spend half their lives in bars, hotels, clubs (indicating their surroundings) or whatever...if you can't have a social drink and leave it then you need to find a drinking companion".
                  He surprised her by saying, "not sure I have a problem, am sure that I am going to find out, what say we go for a little drive, just talk, and you drop me off at my place, Clifton, my only investment and bought before the prices went through the roof. Nola smiled, "not judging a book by it's cover does come to mind, I will tell Lottie we are going".
                  Lottie was being kissed. Nola said, "you two should get a room, I can drop you off somewhere, I am driving Ray home". Paul said, "merci, we accept your offer. my house is two houses from Ray's"....Lottie addressed Paul, "really, you own a house" ? and he pulled her close saying, I may have many surprised for you".
                  And the four departed.
                  Last edited by swiftest; 18 March 2013, 10:17.

Comment

The cab which had delivered Marg to Nola's apartment building had pulled away from the kerb, joined what little traffic there was before Marg yelled, "no wait", she might as well have saved her breath, he was half a block away and crossing lanes to make a turn; Marg had no key. She entered the building and pushed the button for the super. A woman answered and Marg explained she was visiting Nola and had no key to get in. The woman apologized, said there was nothing she could do. Marg asked if there was a cafe nearby, a place she could have a coffee and use a phone to try and reach Nola.
                    The voice gave directions to a cafe and asked where Nola was. When told the "Montagnards Club" the voice said, "you go for coffee and I see what I can do, come back and press same buzzer".
                    Marg found the cafe with ease, sat at the counter and ordered a coffee, said to the counter girl, "awfully quiet today, is this a holiday or something" ? and the young woman answered, "Sunday, most Sundays are quiet" and Marg, mouth closed, raised eyebrows said, "mmmm" before exhaling....then added, "seems I have lost a day, thought it was Saturday"....woman remarked, "my old man did that a lot, it's why i dumped him, booze will do that to you"....Marg could only shrug.
                    When Marg arrived back at the apartment building, the super and his wife were in the hallway. He opened the door and bid her to enter, saying, "I fine yor fren, I take you to her apartmen", but the lady said, "down boy, I have the key" and she proceeded up the flight of stairs, Marg followed.
                    Unlocking the door she said, "don't mind Carmine, anything in a skirt can turn him on". Marg smiled, said, "your a lucky woman" and the reply was, "I wish....he is a perfect example of the mind willing and the body not".
                    Alone inside, Marg undressed, stepped into the shower and started to relax under the hot water....a long shower, hair washed, a warm fluffy towel felt good and dressed in pyjamas and house coat, she used a hair drier. Made coffee and called her sister.

Comment

Before they were out of the building Ray heard his name called and returned to the bar, was told his friend Nola had a call from another fella. Nola took the phone and Ray heard, "yes Carmine, yes she is staying with me...yes of course you can let her in...yes, thank you".
                      Four of them in the car, the drive towards the west-end uneventful. Clifton, a secluded street not far from Island Park Drive and one of the bridges to the Quebec side. Lottie from the back seat said, "wow, I like this street, nice, quiet", then she turned to Paul and added, "you want to adopt me" ? and a grinning Paul said, "oh yes, for the rest of the day and much of tomorrow"....Lottie, a big grin, then kissed him on the mouth, stroked the inside of his leg and said, "we will see how that works out".
                      Ray pointed to a driveway but before Nola drove in, Paul said, "here is fine, stay on the road, mon ami Ray is two houses farther on this side, me being on the other side means I can see all of his comings and goings".

Comment

Ray opened a side door to the house, Nola stepped inside, coats on hooks to her right and to her left stairs, stairs going down to what she thought might be a basement. Ray nodded in the direction of the stairs and said, "finished basement, a tour later but first the kitchen" and he gestured towards two steps which led to an open door. Nola said, "shoes" and Ray answered, "in the kitchen, a mat".
                        Ray had put slippers on and found a pair for Nola. Nola smiled and commented, "your sisters I suppose" and Ray answered, "no, they were bought for someone I was dating, Christmas of last year, she threw them at me, said she was expecting an effing ring"....Nola laughed, added, "they've never been worn" and Ray answered, "true, she never came back for them".
                        Ray walked over to his fridge, offered tea, coffee, juice and Nola said, "I gotta see this house and" the "and" left hanging.....Ray volunteered, "how can I afford it" and Nola nodded.

Comment

Bernice answered her phone, "my baby sister, having a good time" ? "So so, be glad to get home", said Marg, "and speaking of which, i'm not sure about when I will be leaving here, a friend of Nola's has had a biopsy for cancer and Wednesday is her visit to the surgeon, Nola has asked me to stay until then but I thought I was booked for a Thursday flight". Bernice laughed and said, "God, you are really lost, Thursday is your return, try looking at your ticket".
                          Marg said, "I think you are right, not about me being lost, just the return flight, lost I was but no longer, discovered more about Bill than I ever wanted to know". "I see" from Bernice, "all finished with the rat, are we (?), well that is good...if that is what you want, by the way, he is not all bad, just my opinion based on nothing more than a gut feeling and a couple of coffees with him"...a half minute of complete silence.
                          Marg spoke, not a rush of anger and not a lot of joy, "Bernice, for God's sake, your my sister, are you telling me you are SEEING that, that, I don't believe this" before Bernice cut in, "for crying out loud don't be so damned ridiculous, you know what's wrong here, YOU, you found someone and then discovered he had had a life before you and your pride could not stand it, yes you were hurt and yes he was wrong but listen to yourself, I am your sister, do you honestly think I would suddenly start SEEING someone who you had been seeing...Marg honey, give this some thought.
                          Marg said, "damn, sorry Bernice, I know I could never get a better sister than you, how about I call a little later (?)....but dammit there is nothing wrong with my pride" and Bernice answered, "later. I will call later, I do have the number".

Comment

Late fall in Ottawa the nights arrive early, near dark by eight PM and that is when Nola arrived back at her apartment; a smile on her face and a hug for Marg. Marg held her at arms length, said, "mhm, you look ehm, i'm not sure, can't be love, can it (?)". Nola said "no, of course not, I drove Ray home, he has a house near Westboro and so does Paul". Marg guessed, "Lottie is with Paul and you were with Ray, not my business but did you " ? Laughing again Nola said, "no I didnt but I was sure tempted".
                            Marg shook her head, saying, "Nola, you are of age, how long has it been" ? "Too long" was the reply, "tempted I was and Ray was quite eager, but, anyway I gotta tell you about his house, gorgeous, a beautiful place, hardwood floors in almost every room, two granny flats at the back, an office, and the basement you wouldn't believe, exercise stuff, a fair sized shower, pool table and a hockey net at one end but most of the space is furnished with style, a small bar, fully stocked but i'm not sure he will keep that, a huge fish tank on top of three stands, a bookcase the length of the front wall, a couple of couches, big TV and rugs, one small Persian hanging on a wall, five thousand dollars ten years ago, you gotta see this place.
                            Marg said, "then why didn't you, he ain't bad looking and a house like that makes him eligible". Nola shook her head, "he's a man, I wriggle out of my panty hose and when we are done he thinks, "she only did it because of the house"...he is not overly confident and is thinking he might have a problem with the booze". Marg said, "Bill did" and Nola answered, "they have been talking".

Comment

Nola said, "i'm going to have a bath, soak for a bit, runs things through my mind and wonder if this is a good time for a change of direction". Marg asked if Ray would cross her mind and Nola answered, "oh yes, for sure, no telling where that could lead, perhaps nowhere because this woman is not spending the rest of her life with a drinker"........Marg sighed said, "according to someone we both know, recovery homes or treatment centres make no guarantees". Nola said, "true enough but it seems Bill has made it for a lot of years and I do know others, just not sure I could handle living with someone doing, "one day at a time".
                              Marg took a call from Bernice while Nola was in the tub; Marg would remark later, "more like a damn lecture that a chat with a sister". Marg checked her plane ticket and as Bernice had said, her flight was for the forthcoming Thursday. She also had a look at her schedule and, Nepean, Monday afternoon at 2.00PM until 4.00, Tuesday a morning session somewhere in Overbrook, Wednesday scheduled for 10.00 AM, something she would need to change.
                              When Nola re-appeared, Marg let her know she needed to drop her Wednesday appointment but Nola would not hear of that, "bet your boots we will be tied up until the afternoon, do your session and come straight to here, if we are going to be really late, I will call, just remind me to get a key for you".
                              The phone call from Bernice was put aside and both were sound asleep before midnight. Nine AM a surprise, Lottie buzzed and entered with the dapper looking Paul.

Comment

Paul would have been quite happy to leave Lottie at the door of the apartment but that was not about to happen; Lottie wanted to show him off and insisted he enter with her. The short hallway led to the living room and Lottie did a, "tara" (!) when she entered. But no one was there, Nola called from the kitchen, "bring your tara here"...which Lottie did.
                                And after her repeat performance, Lottie said, "this man is class, check out his dress sense, the overcoat, cashmere, the blazer, an officers crest, the cravat, almost never seen these days, and the hat, the fur hat which he won't admit is real fur, a dead animal but boy does it look good. Paul played along, did a pirouette and tried to take his leave. Nola said, "c'mon, a cup of coffee and tell me what you have done which makes my friend glow".
                                Paul bowed, said, "the glow is no credit to me, the lady is made for glowing, and I must be off". Marg stood, thrust her hand towards Paul and said, "a repeat of yesterday"....Paul kissed her hand and said, "mademoiselle", Marg grinned and said, "I like it"....Nola added, "I want to hear about last night" and Paul, leaving, replied, "the time has come, the walrus said"...Nola looked at Lotie and smiled, Lottie, a tear trickling down her cheek, nodded and Marg said, "Alice in Wonderland" ? and the other two said, "no".
                                Nola stood up and said, "coffee time ladies, Lottie has much to tell".

Comment

Working...
                                X