The Robe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Robe

Each of the ladies had a coffee, Lottie was holding a spoon, looking thoughtful but saying nothing; the others looked expectant. Lottie broke the silence, "well, you know, we have just met, perhaps I, ehm, shouldn't".
    Nola reached out and took one of Lottie's hands in hers, said, very gently, "Lottie, I have known you for a long time, you don't want to tell us how it was, don't, keep us wondering, but you will before the day is out, you will love the telling and we will be happy for you, one thing, one thing I do know is that you really enjoyed yourself and you really like Paul....just tell me, is he now the favourite ?
    Lottie laughed, said, "maybe....oh he is good" and Marg asked, "better than, what's his name, Alex (?)" Now Lottie was giggling and said, "steak or ice cream". Marg looked puzzled and Nola said, "it's what Sinatra said when he was asked what his favourite food was". Lottie said, "mhm, my Basque would definitely be steak, and Paul, oh so much more than plain ice cream, remember when "dairy queen" only did ice creams and you needed to save your small change until you had enough for one of their banana splits with everything but the peanuts, they were delicious and so is Paul".

Comment

Lottie sipped her coffee, said, "the house, phew, I could live there forever, beautiful from top to bottom, he has a sauna, I was never in one before"....Marg asked, "wet or dry" ? and Lottie didn't know, all she knew was that it was hot, made her sweat, "got really hot before we went out to the pond area" and Nola said, "POND, you were outside" ? "No", said a chuckling Lottie, "he has a square pond in the basement just outside of the sauna, it isn't big enough to be a pool just big enough for mibee six or seven people to sit and it isn't too deep, sort of steps down where we sat...warm water but cool when you come out of the sauna, and we didn't go in right away" then she winked at Nola before adding, "I thought he would let me get busy".
      "Anyway, I even tried when we were sitting in the pond but he told me, "later". And then we had a chat about later and he convinced me, well not really, you know I wanted to and most men would have jumped at the chance, but he told me that at his age he wanted it all, wanted me to be satisfied, wanted a complete night of pleasure and the night would start with a dinner.....and he can cook".

Comment

Nola tapped the table with a spoon, said, "stop, go back a little, you were in a pond and now you are in the kitchen, you may very well have been naked but no man is going to do the cooking with nothing on, some bits they are very careful of". Lottie laughed, "true...and I did not stay naked....out of the pond, dripping, not cold but cool, Paul dried me and I was tingling ALL over...and reaching, but he, God that man is stubborn, insisted we dress, eat and I made DAMNED sure he knew what I wanted to do and...anyway, dressing took a while".
        Lottie stood, held one finger up and mouthed, "a minute". She went into the bathroom. Marg lifted an eyebrow and Lena said, "she is now trying for a thoughtful look, say nothing when she returns", and return she did, regained her seat and looked slightly past both Lena and Marg....and said nothing.
        A minute passed before Lena said to Marg, "i'm not sure if Lottie is looking thoughtful of if she has gas, what do you think" ? Marg could only smile and Lottie said, "oh all right but you gotta admit both of you are curious, bet youse are wondering if Paul can"...both were shaking there heads and Lottie continued, "don't deny it, both of you are wondering if the OLD man can get it up....well I KNOW he can....is there anything here to drink (?), I know it is early in the morning but I have been awake for a while".......Nola left the table and returned with three glasses of orange juice.
        Lottie took a sip and said, "right, no more foolin, I had a wonderful time, the entire time, the sauna, the pond, being dried, the fireplace...oh, did I forget to tell about the fireplace, tut tut...he has a fireplace in the basement, along the back wall and in front of the fireplace is a fur rug". Marg, ever the skeptic says, "surely not a bearskin" and Lottie said, "no, not a bearskin, a sheeskin, a sheepskin from Scotland, a Shetland, light coloured and never been dyed, he has had it for a very long time, and the fireplace has a gas fire which Paul did not want to install but he was convinced to switch from a log burner when Ray mentioned the sparks and what they might do to the Shetland wool". "And I lay on it, spread out and felt sure IT was going to happen and Paul knelt by my side, very gently kissed me, whispered, "I am going to get something for you to wear", I couldn't believe it".

Comment

Lottie eased back from the table, looked directly at Marg and said, "Marg I don't know what to tell, you get angry so fast and its easy to say it is because of Bill, but, I think you are sometimes angry at me.....I can't change that I knew Bill, for sure a long time ago but your being here, us meeting Ray, and Paul, it is really weird, it's like, you know, everting, sorry, everything is.....I don't know, its like re-living what happened.....phew, I ave to go pee, coffee juice, anyway, Marg, I don't want you not to like me......i ave to go, i ave to go".
          Lottie ran to the bathroom and Marg said to Nola, "is she French" ? and Nola laughed, "no, she sometimes has an accent like whoever she was with, it comes and goes, (and she kept laughing), you should have heard her when she had a German boyfriend, it was hilarious; she would come here like now and tell me all they did.....Marg she is special and would do anything not to hurt your feelings but, to be honest, she is not the problem, you must know that?.
          And Marg did.

Comment

Lottie returned to the table, sat, glanced at Nola and turned her head towards Marg who said, "i'm sorry, sorry that you would think I didn't like you, sorry for the way I have acted but, until now, I haven't really been listening, haven't taken in what my sister said about my pride being hurt", and here she paused, looked thoughtful and shrugged, continued, "I don't know what happens when I go home, Urbania isn't very big and gossip does happen, but for now I have to, as Nola says, "be honest", also have to accept that I am not Bill's first....I would like to sit here and listen but if me being here is uncomfortable for you, I will go for a walk, or something": Lottie got up and hugged her.
            "No, you must not leave, when you say you must "accept", that is a Bill thing, Paul told me that, see Paul and me we talked a lot, it wasn't all bing-bang, Paul tell me about tings I don't know, tings maybe Nola don't know and sometime me and Nola will ave Paul over for an evening of talking, he know a lot of stuff and a very good lover"...Marg said, "better than Bill" ? but it was without malice and the three laughed, when Lottie replied, "maybe, but not steak and ice cream, praps more like, tenderloin and porterhouse...and ear I go talking funny again...that damned man's fault".
            Lottie was ready to begin and the other two were willing listeners...Nola got up, refilled her coffee cup, refilled Marg's and told Lottie, "none until we hear about your night".

Comment

Lottie began, "after we ate": Nola said, "LOTTIE"!!!! and she replied, "okay, okay, I just forget where I was" and Marg, with emphasis said, "on the sheepskin, NAKED AND READY FOR, phew, I don't know what".....Lottie nodded, added, "ready for everyting".
              "But Paul wanted me dressed, went into a small room and came back with clothes for me...would you believe, a toga, that's what he called it, more like a wrap around but he said to put it on and come into the small room, he said I would be interested; and so I did as I was told and boy he was not happy....although he didn't look unhappy, told me I had the thing on wrong".
              "The toga had a back and two long parts which I thought would drape down the front and I crossed them and tied them in back, didn't offer much support but then, unlike you older ladies, I don't need much support, do I (?)...Marg looked to Nola and Nola said, "ignore her, still thinks she is miss perky tits of 1977"...Lottie laughed saying, Nola you are just jealous......anyway, Paul pointed out that this thing had small ties and if I had used them the sides of my perkies would have not been so, "accessable", I think that is what he said.......but he had that look and I raised both arms above my head and did a slow turn around.....one hand placed on each breast with thumbs making me feel good, one very light kiss and he said, "you need to change" and before I knew it, he had me bundled into a housecoat, a quilted one, all sorts of colours and from shoulders to the floor, not the least bit sexy and he put on one of those butcher aprons and I wanted him in the worst way".

Comment

"But it was time to talk; "after", was suggested but Paul wasn't listening.
                We were surrounded by books, many of them French and some Bill had suggested, some Bill bought; Paul said it was with books they became very good friends". She paused, smiled, looked at Nola, eyes glistening, "True de looking glass, Paul know all about dat, ah my mouth, there she go again........right......I did know why Bill got beat up, and as Paul said, "stupid to challenge brothers", the ending I was never sure about, about what happened, only knew we had no more trouble at the Beacon........and now I need a cup of tea" and she was off to the kitchen.
                Marg said, "I am lost, no doubt this "TING" means a lot to her but isn't this a kids book we are talking about" and before Nola could respond, Lottie yelled, "not to me"....Nola laughed, "not to me either.....it's ehm, anyway, the book has little to do with this, the brothers probably never heard of Lewis Carroll or any of his books but one of them used an expression which is close to a small part of the book and I "tink" I can remember, "the time has come", the Walrus said, "to talk of many things. of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings, and why the sea is boiling.....(here was when Lottie returned and joined Nola with the last line) and whether pigs have wings".............tears streamed from her eyes, Nola, near to tears herself, whispered, "it was a long time ago".

Comment

Lottie agreed "it was a long time ago" and spoke directly to Marg, "we were at the Beacon and it was a break between sets, there was a group of us, me, Bill, the band and their girlfriends...the drummer called me a pig and"....Nola shook her head, said, "Bill wasn't there, he found out what had been said a bit later, and Claude (?), I think that was his name, thought he was being funny"....Lottie interupted saying, "wait; you weren't there"....paused then added...."were you (?), no you couldn't have been....did I tell you about this" ?
                  Nola said, "no, you didn't tell me but yes you are right that I wasn't there....and neither was Bill, Bill arrived when the place was closing...and you were already gone...the big guy, the one who wasn't Spanish took you home around ten" and this made Lottie smile, "I remember him, big. big guy, worked the door a lot of nights and, the smallest petunia I ever saw, oh but he was nice....made me forget I was a pig....but how do you know all this when you weren't there " ?
                  Nola explained a little, "the big guy got in touch, told how the group had been bugging their leader about him not reaching the high notes of a Glen Campbell song and he said, "just wait until the last set"....someone said, "yeah, right, when pigs can fly" and that is when the drummer asked you if it was true that you couldn't fly".
                  Lottie said, "okay, maybe, but I thought that was when Bill got beat up"....Nola sighed, "it was, I drove him, well you couldn't reason with the son of a bitch, he was so, so, f-----g, there, I said it, so f-----g bull headed and even the big guy told him to wait...God, the big guy should have been listened to"
                  Marg looked at Nola said, "so you were with Bill" and Nola said, "i am for another coffee".

Comment

Marg followed Nola to the coffee pot and before she said anything, Nola said, "let it go, Lottie might be getting to the interesting bits and both of us might learn something"....."okay but had you met Lottie by then". Lottie, answered, saying, "no, we met later at the clinic, I remember that; Bill was pretty much healed AND, Claude had broken fingers....Paul told me about that".
                    Nola poured a coffee for herself, said to Marg, "I never saw Bill after the clinic", then, looking directly at Lottie added, "don't think any of us did". Lottie said, "oh, I did, saw him a couple of times, he was driving a big truck and he had me try to find you but you had left your husband and you had changed jobs....he did hear that you had a baby". Marg said, "Bills" ?....Lottie laughed and Nola said, "of course not, you know who the father is".
                    When the three were re-seated at the table, Lottie said, "I would really like a small piece of strawberry shortcake". Nola said, "wrong time of year" and Lottie said, "Paul has servings, frozen, I ad some, really, really good...and so is he". Marg said, "please, I beg you, get to it because I must leave a little later...work to do".

Comment

"Okay, and I try to talk straight...and it is not only about de sex, Paul and I we talk and he tell me tings I dint know"...Nola smiled, "das good you talk straight, eh, an she good it not only about de sex but dis woman startin to wonder if der was any", and Lottie laughed, got up and warmed a cup of tea for herself while continuing her narrative.
                      "First thing, right of the bat, I reached under his apron and he stopped me, said, "later, all in good time, I am getting in the mood a little too soon" and he opened a closet, took out a white coat and a chef's cap, not the tall kind we sometimes see in the movies but one which sat above his ears with a round floppy bit on top; now he was only showing the bottom of his legs and the top of his chest what wasn't covered by the apron".
                      He pointed out a number of books and read the names of some authors, most I never erd of, Racine and Moliere were new to me but I did know the guy who wrote the hunchback...and then there was a bunch who weren't French, one in particular he was very fond of, and that one he said he ad a ard time reading but Bill ad given it to him...said it was by Bill's national poet, no not poet, can't remember and lots by Americans, said Bill was quite fond of Mark Twain, I remember that name cos Bill bought five or six by the same guy.
                      And there were movies, almost all French, not naughty ones mind, just French movies and Paul said I could watch whatever I wanted while he cooked. He was talking about sub something when he came to me, leaned over and kissed my mouth....soft, very soft, one hand stoking the back of my neck and then the tip of his tongue touched mine.....my housecoat was was opened, very slowly and he kissed every part as it was uncovered, breasts, stomach and then he skipped where I needed him but he teased the inside of both legs near my knees...and I was, wow, wriggling and I couldn't have stopped saying oh if you ad payed me.....I was reaching for his shoulders, going to make him move up a bit when he did and he didn't stop until my ooossss had died down...it's been a very long time since I have felt that good and I was ready to do anything.....Paul had other ideas, put his chef hat back on said, "thank you Lottie, you are all woman, relax here or in the pond and I will prepare our dinner", then he closed my housecoat, kissed me on the neck and said, "after me eat".

Comment

"He was gone and I was left, alone but not lonely; feeling good, oh so good all over. Not sure how long before Paul came back but I was laughing a little bit and he said, "you seem happy", and I was, told him I was laughing because I felt so good AND didn't have to go and get rid of anything and he laughed, said, "that might change, but in the meantime I have a little something to start the meal".
                        "He had a bowl of something and I sat up saying, "Paul, one kiss" and he stepped back, pretended he was shocked; my dressing gown had fallen open and one leg was hanging over the side of this day-bed thing I was laying in and he eyed me up and down. I said, "no not that again....although....no, no, my mouth, I need reminding of how good you kiss".....I gotta tell youse, he is some kisser and by the time he had stopped...mmhhmm, I was starting to reach for his, you know".
                        "He would have none of it and gave the bowl to me. Cake, angel food cake, I think, some raspberries, quite soft because they had been frozen, then he brought a bottle of something and poured onto the cake, said, use your fingers and when you are finished come upstairs, I will lick your fingers and our meal is started.......oh, and, after I lick your fingers you might want to relax, you will have a choice'.
                        "I liked what was in the bowl, tasted a bit licoricee, remember that black candy we used to get when we were kids, and I licked my own fingers. And I did wonder what was in the bottle so I read the label, pronounced it "per-nod" which Paul changed to "payrrrno" with that purr for the R...you know I think I love him". A grinning Nola said, "you love everyone"...Lottie's response in a light bantering tone, accompanied by a wink, was, "could love you if you want".....Marg stared from one to the other; both saw her look of uncertainty and both started to laugh....Lottie was the first to stop laughing and she said to Marg, "no, no, no, I did a threesome one night and Nola knows all about it" to which Nola added, "every last detail".
                        Lottie, "I ave to go but be right back, I will urry" and she was rocking back and forth as she spoke.....Marg told her to, "urry, urry, urry" and Lottie giggled to the bathroom. Marg asked Nola, "is there anything she won't do" ? Nola answered, "I think so, I know she has in the past done everything I can think of but one thing is a real turn-off for her...later" as Lotie returned.
                        "You two are very quiet" then she grinned and continued, "I bet you (looking at Marg) wonder where I draw the line, and I tell you......she paused, looked quite serious......I tried the other twice and it was not good, not too painful and I did want to try that but no pleasure, none at all, the second time I ad no choice". Marg had a question mark written all over her face and Lotties mood changed immediately, she was laughing her head off, said, "BILL (?) no, no way, if he was Catholic he would be one of those altar boys".
                        Lottie continued, "upstairs the kitchen is part of a larger room, it's sort of, ehm, Paul say, "open plan", I think that's what he called it.....Paul has a grill, a flat part on top of an oven, he can adjust the heat and have one part really hot and others parts not so hot; when he cooked our steak it was flat on the grill, the mushrooms were in a frying pan on top of another part of the grill, broccoli in a pot with cheese and I dunno, de man know what he is doing".
                        "There is a table, a big one with high, you know, those captains chairs, the kind with arms and they can turn. And there is a couch and easy chairs with a tv in one wall, another fireplace...oh and a small room what he says is his office, and there is a fish tank, says it relaxes him".
                        He is busy mixing stuff and he hears me, turns and says, "where is my bowl (?), did you enjoy the raspberries (?), what would you like now(?). anything to drink, a small apertif, perhaps, but not food until we eat....and I shrugged out of the housecoat and said, "more"....and oh how I wished I hadn't, he just looked so disappointed....so I said I was just joking and asked about my "choices"...he smiled, told me he would show me....but first he picked up my robe".
                        Upstairs I could use a jacuzzi or a bath, already with bubbles and an aroma I did not recognize.....I chose the bath and asked if he would kiss me....he did, long, lingering and sexy as all get out....we parted and one of his fingers trailed from the side of my neck to both breast, then down wards and he touched me...I held his hand where it was and kissed him....i wanted to stay as we were but he, very gently, moved my hand and said, twenty-five minutes.

Comment

During this time Bill was not kept completely out of the loop, didn't have all of the details but knew who was seeing whom. He also stayed in touch with Bernice whose attitude towards him had softened considerably but she tried not to show this.
                          Ray had talked to Bill about getting sober. They had had a number of talks and Bill felt they had touched all the bases and now it was up to Ray which path to take. Ray had been to a few AA meetings and his feeling was, "this just ain't for me"; Bill's answer was, "give it time". An eleven-thirty at night call from an enthusiastic Ray informed Bill that Ray, "talked to a guy after a meeting, we had a long talk and he has started his own programme because, as he says, AA ain't for everyone, it's a" and Bill interupted...."before you jump into this thing a word of caution...this guy might be the greatest, might have all the answers and i'm not saying HIS way is wrong, all I can do is tell you what I have found in the past....at least half a dozen guys who went through the same programme as me have started their own groups, usually within the first year. Some of them take a one year counseling course from a community college or by correspondence, from anywhere that will give them a diploma to hang on a wall. There catch phrase is almost always, AA ain't for everybody, and that I disagree with, what should be said is AA is for anyone who takes the time to follow the steps, AND, AA is free...you can find these guys everywhere and some definitely believe THEY have the answers....see what we are doing now this is AA, simply one alky talking to another alky...and let me tell you something buddy, my first year was not a great time, almost every meeting someone was giving me shit; it took a while for it to sink in that they were trying to help me and not just power tripping....you don't want to go to a recovery home then don't, but there are good ones out there, on the other hand, many, many, many of the men and women I meet at meetings do fine with AA as long as they try and follow the steps and talk to other AAs.
                          Ray said he would give it a think then added, "if I went where you went, would you visit" ? Bill laughed, said, "every weekend old son but you keep in mind that the HELP comes from where you are, mostly from one alky, YOU, talking to another alky who is in the same boat" and just before he hung up, Ray added, Bud, I think that Marg is a keeper".

Comment

Marg was starting to wonder about time, she wanted to hear about Lottie's meal and whatever went with it. She looked at Nola and said, "I really have to get ready, the last session was cancelled and I can't miss this one". Lottie said, "how about I drive you, call and say you have a ride and the three of us will go to the arena and we can talk on the way...and then we can eat out". Nola liked the plan except fot Lottie being the driver, said, "my car and I will drive".
                            Lottie got at her story as soon as she was buckled into her seat. "Our meal was the best I ever had, filet mignon cut to small pieces and cooked on the grill, Paul's was rare and mine medium rare, the mushrooms fried in butter and the broccoli in a side dish with a cheese sauce and sprinkled over the whole thing a mixture of crispy bacon bits, chopped up tiny peppers and a dish with something that we could dip the pieces of steak into; I forget what it was but liqueur for sure and Paul said it came from Scotland but it wasn't scotch, then he added, "not a whisky without the E" an I dint ask what e meant".
                            "We finished the first part and used crusty rolls to sop up what was left of the dipping stuff...and I was feeling good, I told him if he didn't start on me soon, I would start on me without him and he said, but first we have dessert and then I have MY way with you, and no arguments, remember to respect the wishes of your elders; I laughed cos what I had planned he couldn't resist, at least dats what I tot".
                            "Anyway dessert was served, two kinds, one was deep fried for just a few seconds, not even a minute, then Paul put paper towel into a bowl and put these two things into the paper towlel, rolled them around and placed each in a bowl, said, "give it a minute to cool down" and he placed some raspberries around each and sat down; dont know what it was but inside was ice cream and the outside was crispy, chocolatey and I don't know what else....i was starting to feel high and told him, he just laughed said, "old men love their women to be completely relaxed so we can take our time".
                            "We finished the first dessert and Paul said the next part will be taken upstairs". He had taken off his chefs coat but was still wearing his apron and I was wearing nothing, don't remember taken the robe off but it might have been when we climbed the stairs...next I knew I was in his bed, two pillows for support and he handed a dish to me...it had one scoop of french vanilla ice cream with lines of green over it and as i took my first taste he took the apron off pulled the sheet down to my ankles and said, "finish the ice cream very slowly while I get in the mood"...one more small taste and I started to tell him it was my turn when he had one of my breast in his mouth, his teeth closing very gently onto my nipple....it was wonderful but I wanted to, you know, but the son of a gun was touching me everywhere and next I knew his mouth was completely gone from my chest and I was starting to ohohoh and had both of my legs around him and just like that, Paul brought me off for a second time".
                            "I felt limp and weak and very drowsy but I did feel him trying to leave the bed and I held on, think I asked him not to leave me and he stayed, held me, I love him. I love him, I love him".
                            They entered the arena and two of them held swinging doors open while a woman pushed a wheelchair through, the wheelchair contained an elderly man but both Nola and Lottie were staring at the woman. Marg had seen them looking and when the woman had the wheelchair off to one side, she said, "don't tell me that is another of Bills"....Nola looked at Lottie who returned the look; they both knew who she was.

Comment

Talking with Ray on the phone had given Bill a good feeling; what Ray would decide might not be what Bill would want but it would be a step in the right direction. Talking with Bernice was another story; Bill could not see any good come out of Marg meeting with Lottie and Marg knowing Nola. He thought, "women talk" and wondered how much, could see only negatives and his, "chickens coming home to roost" would bring only news that he could lay no claim to decency, honesty and all of the other attributes which Marg would be looking for; his "slough of despond" was very near.
                              And had he known whom Nola and Lottie were going to talk to, all hope of a reconciliation with Marg were, "oot the windae".
                              The arena which the ladies had entered was small, seating was four rows of large steps which circled the ice and a packed house would have meant no more than thirty-four hundred; the ice surface was regulation and the boards had the right amount of give to satisfy all who were on the receiving end of a stiff check into the boards.
                              Younger kids were finishing a game and Marg caught the eye of one man she knew and another new to her; she turned to Nola and Lottie, said, "no talk until I return, sit by the cafeteria, I will be back in a minute": she approached the two men and the one she knew hugged her and introduced the other man. Marg missed his name but caught the sarcasm when he said, "bring your figure skates, did you" ? Marg looked him up and down, turned to the other man and said, "would the Neaderthal know the difference", (?) then she winked before adding, "see you on the ice, I need a few minutes with a couple of friends".
                              She sat down with Nola and Lottie, took a sip of coffee and said, "who is she" ? and she looked around saw that the other woman had pushed the wheel chair to a spot alongside the boards; nothing to hinder the man's view. Said to Nola, "late sixties, seventies maybe" ? Nola wasn't sure but offered, "Bill has ten years on me, some years more on Lottie, but I cannot remember Bill saying how old she was". Lottie joined in, "the name I remember was Winnie and Winnie told Bill she was twenty-seven, Bill told me she was thirty-four, I saw her back then, she was ehm, not bad, I guess", and Nola added, "gorgeous, thick, black hair, wavy, blue eyes, a bustline which made my pair of pears look like nothing...and hips, Jesus, she even looks good now....go skate Marg, I am going to meet her because she is heading our way"; and a siren sounded which signaled a change of ice users.

Comment

Most arenas use the fifty minute hour for practices and this small rink in Nepean was no exception. The ten minutes is when the ice is re-surfaced and Marg sat to get her skates on. The trousers she was wearing were quite ancient, a left over from when the pros were trying long, padded pants instead of shorts with stockings over the shin guards; Marg had been gifted a box of these pants.
                                The other coach, Lou by name, sat one tier above Marg, noticed her skates and said, "Bauers, d'you know who Bauer was" ? And Marg replied, "a bit before my time but an uncle played for the "Dutchmen", you know Kitchener when they had a senior major A team, and he made sure I knew a little about Milt, Woody and Bobby the right winger....not before your time, i'm guessing".
                                Lou explained that the "Kraut Line" was much before his time and that he had played "pro", then, as he was getting ready to step onto the ice he said, "the pants are a bit baggy"; Marg knew he had no idea they were padded; something he discovered when the front of her leg was hit by an errant puck.
                                While Marg was getting ready for the ice, Winnie had arrived at the cafeteria. It was really a small store, sold an assortment of confectionaries, laces, tape, skate guards and such; also had coffee on the go and a man to sharpen skates in the back room; and four tables with four chairs at each were just to one side of the counter.
                                Lottie spoke first, "is that your father in the wheel chair" and Winnie said, "no, he is my husband, if it is any of your business". Nola spoke, "easy Winnie, my friend means no harm, we both think we know you from a long time ago, better than thirty years, please, why not get a coffee and join us". Winnie said, "no thank you" bought two coffees and started back towards her husband. But while still within earshot, Nola said, "you blamed Bill for doing something he hadn't and I am sure your doctor, Sprague wasn't it, told you, join us please, we would like to clear Bill's name, either to you or anyone else who might be interested"....Winnie nodded, "I need a few minutes to get him settled, his great-grandson is on the ice".
                                Almost a complete hockey team of boys, fifteen and sixteen years of age. All members of a travel team, fifteen skaters and one goalie; Marg was to spend the first fifteen minutes with the goalie and a hockey net was put in place. Marg worked with him on his cross-overs and extra time on skating backwards, an area which Marg thought was badly neglected. At the end of their time the kid was ecstatic, asked if Marg would be a permanent coach and was disappointed that she lived far from Ottawa in a little town he had never heard of.
                                The goalie changed out of his goalie equipment and put on a pair of regular skates so as to join his teammates in the skating practice. Each coach had five and Marg said she would take the extra player, whistles, cat calls and the blushing goalie joined Marg's group.
                                Lou had a group at one end, Marg was in the centre ice area and the other coach had the far end. Marg's group were doing circles when a puck hit her pad, could have come from anywhere as each boy was skating with a puck. Marg looked straight at Lou and he grinned. He was standing with his back to the boards when Marg fired the puck back to him; she had some mustard on it and before he could move the puck hit the boards between his legs, fairly high up. Lou winced as the puck bounced of the boards and smacked against the back of his leg; Marg smiled said, "not wearing a protector Lou, a bit dangerous, is it not" ?
                                The rest of the practice was uneventful.

Comment

Working...
                                X