The Robe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Robe

Winnie said, "is your Marg not talking to me,(?) I mean it is not as if I know her but I would have thought she would have told me about the kid, Cornelius, instead of Nola, anyway, it seems she thinks he might have a future but needs more mean which means, what, exactly (?), you see he isn't one of those kids who gets into fights or anything, but, I doubt he would ever run away, now one thing I do know for sure is that he wouldn't use his feet, I got that from the hubby".
    Bill answered, "and hello to you, Winnie, as for Marg, i'm not sure she is mine and not sure what she sees, more mean is a tough call if you haven't seen the kid in a game, and besides, there have been a lot of players make it who did not fight or use the stick, one of the things is that every once in a while a player might have to assert himself just to let other players know he is no pushover"....Winnie laughed, said, "like me" ? Bill laughed, "c'mon Win, you could have stopped me at anytime". Winnie's, "perhaps" seemed to Bill, a bit tenuous.
    Winnie asked if he had read any Steinbeck, lately. Bill hesitated, not sure what this meant, answered, "not lately, not since "Travels with Charlie" least I think that is what is was called", and then the memory recalled and he said, "ah, the short story" and they both laughed.
    "You got it Bill, you know when you first mentioned it my first thought was an oyster shell, you know like, "the world is my oyster", and then she chuckled, "thought you were paying a compliment until you told me to wash" and then she was laughing very hard, "no one, not a man on this earth, would stop the warm-up and whisper, the pearl needs attention, go wash, and I did and you followed me and talked about Steinbeck". Bill too was laughing and asked, "did we make it back to the bed" ? A laughing Winnie said, "no, you arse, not until, forget it, if you can't remember that is too bad".
    Winnie sighed, "our time together was short, but a few first for me, we might have lasted much longer if I had been on meds, but, life has been good to me and I was serious about meeting up again". Bill said, "your married Winnie, you sound content, suppose hubby found out about us". She answered, "hubby knows about everything, the works, and if you and I meet, he will be with me, no naughty stuff i'd just like for us to meet again and you would get along with hubby, not sure your Marg could handle it".
    Before finishing their call, Winnie gave Bill her e-mail address, added, "anytime you want to talk".

Comment

Two days to go and Bill was wondering how to spend them. Tuesday he would play bridge in a neighbouring community....and then what (?) three hours out of more than sixty is not a big chunk. He decided to make a list of things to do. The list included calling Paul, Ray and Stan. He sat, looked around the flat and wrote, "housewifey things": called Stan. Stan and Tilley thought the list a good idea and both made suggestions.....and so to bed.
      Up at six, coffee, a long look at the list and then he made a full breakfast, scrambled egg with cheese, beans and potato fritters; HP on the beans and he was in heaven. A load of washing, folded when dried and shirts on the ironing board. After nine AM and he had made a few inquiries about the recovery place in Guelph. He called around ten.
      Bill wanted to know about visiting and he was immediately transferred. He gave his name, asked the answering party about visitors and if the person taking the "programme" would be allowed away for weekends. "Common questions", said a voice, "do you know anything about our facility or anything about addiction". Bill said, "a little" and heard, "Bill, ehm, let me guess, you MIGHT know someone heading our way, MIGHT even be here now, tell me, a long time ago did you live in a huge house on the banks of the Detroit river" (?).
      Bill paused, then, "could have, your identacall is way above average, unless the person heading your way has mentioned me"....a laugh, then, "believe it or not, I recognized your voice, you should have been in radio". Bill said, "well I did try that and failed"...the sound of laughter reached him and the voice said, "c'mon Bill, you failed because you quit, anyway we do know each other, think of the guys who started to get sober when you started, think of detox". Bill did, thought of the guys he first met, said, "Ray" (?)........more laughter followed by, "yes that is what you knew me as, not really my name but couldn't see me entering recovery as "Dick". Bill laughed said, "I dig" and the voice said, "everyone calls me Richard"....Bill said, "good move" and they talked of old times.
      His next call was to Bernice.

Comment

Bernice answered, "congratulations, Bill, everything seems to be falling into place for you, but, a word of caution". Bill cut in, "please, Bernice, no threats, i'm too old to be threatened, all I want is a chance with Marg, if I am rejected I will have to live with that, if I am forgiven I would never ask for another thing for the rest of my life".
        Bernice said, "no threats, not a one but do tread softly, I can't see any way that my sister has gone from throwing bricks through your windows to smothering you with affection....she seems to have taken to Lottie and could overlook that episode of your life, Nola she has known for a long time; I cannot see her giving up that friendship and I cannot see her putting your affair with Nola out of her mind; and then there is someone called Winnie.....Marg hates Winnie, swears when she mentions her, says she could still be a centre fold......I just don't know, Bill, but this I would suggest, you see my sister with anything in her hand that looks sharp, you get ready for severe pain.....I wish you well but watch your back, my sister is a wounded lady", then she hung up.
        Bill sat and looked at his phone, shrugged and thought, "forewarned is forearmed, I suppose"......he knew it wasn't going to be easy.
        At nine PM he dialed Nola's number and Marg answered. He was surprised and said, "I just wanted to hear how Lottie was bearing up". Marg replied, "bearing up issit, mmhm, don't really know but I would say that by this she will have been pleasured by a man older than you, a man who will be fondling her titties, which everyone says are perfect and he will be stroking the inner things of those beautiful legs". Nola grabbed the phone and Bill heard her say, "gimme my damn phone", then, "Bill (?), Lottie is with Paul, she may or may not be back here tonight, Paul wants to be at the hospital and then we will see, Paul is sure Lottie will be fine and he has arranged a special lunch, I don't know where". Bill said, "perhaps the "Point" with Father Bernard, if he is still alive......would you call me when the examination is over" ? Nola said, "yes, for sure".
        Nola wanted to glare at Marg but couldn't; she knew that Marg was having difficulty thinking of Bill and also that Marg was feeling for Lottie. Nola dialed Paul's number and when he answered she said, "just checking, are we going to meet Father Bernard" ? Paul laughed said, "who toll you, must be Ray or that Bill, not many know Father Bernard, he a better chef dan me, I know him since grade school".

Comment

Tuesday evening. Bill thinks of a line written by Stan Rogers, "it's just my luck to have the watch with nothing left to do" and sighs; he has lots he could be doing. Perhaps an early night or a trip to timmies. Cool weather calls for a jacket; winter arrives a lot earlier in Ottawa than it does in Bill's part of the country. Thinking of Ottawa leads to thoughts of Marg; and his past; he wonders.
          Should he regret his past, be ashamed, wish it had never happened (?) and the answers are no, no, no. So how does that affect the way he feels about Marg (?); puzzling, or better yet, a conundrum, at least for the present. Bill will always have the memories and Marg will be aware of that. If he had his druthers he would druther Marg had never met anyone from his past, which leads him to, "can we make it" ?
          Timmies is quiet. One of the younger women is working the till. She takes his order and while she is pouring, says, "I was one of Margs girls, one of the "Marg's Muppets for a Christmas show"". Lynda overheard and laughing said, "Marg is a bridge he has burned"....Bill said, "you don't know that" and Lynda answered, "gone, gone, gone, you blew it"; and before he could reply, one of the other servers said, "Bill, take your time, shop carefully and find someone nice, Christmas will be here before you know it and we all know how lonely that can be if you have no one". Bill nodded, took his coffee and sat at one of the small tables.
          A minute or so thinking then a voice says, "you are away in another world". Bill looks at the woman who spoke, smiles and says, "Leona, I bet you didn't think i'd remember"; she laughs and replies, "remembering is another of those things I don't do as well as I did". He takes his coffee and stands at her table, touches one of the chairs and says, "do you mind(?), going deaf you know, makes it easier to talk if I am close"; she is jovial, says, "sit Bill, I can use the company but heard you are seeing the younger Racine woman, she won't mind, will she ?
          Bill laughs says, "i'm not really sure". And they talked.

Comment

One AM before Bill and Leona left timmies; might have stayed longer but one of the staff asked, "are you two spending the night" ? Leona laughed and Bill was a bit more serious, "damn, I never noticed the time". Lynda was nearby and said, "watch him, Leona, just a few days ago he was head over heels, his heart belonged to another, fickle, the man is fickle". Bill walked towards the exit and heard Lynda say, "don't go away mad, Bill, and goodnight to you too"....Bill turned said, "sorry, yes, goodnight, Leona, i'm supposed to be up early, hope to see you" and he left. Leona nudged Lynda and said, "sooner that he thinks" and she opened her hand to reveal car keys, Bills.
            She walked out the same door and saw him standing beside the old Aztec, going through his pockets. She said, "do you need a drive home, Bill" ? "No, no, this is a loaner from one of my daughters, I eh". He stopped when Leona handed over the keys, said, "oh". Leona gave the keys to him, kissed his cheek and said, "see you around, Bill".
            Bill was first out of the lot. Within five minutes a car sped past him and he saw Leona raise her hand. He looked at what she was driving and the minute he was inside his apartment, he searched the phone book and smiled when he found her number, She answered on the third ring and he asked, "is that a Shelby, 1968 with a 350 Cleveland under the hood". She laughed and said, "yes, same model as the one in "Bullitt"...and still laughing added, "long as Marg doesn't mind I will let you pass one hundred but you pay your own tickets" before hanging up.
            He went to bed.

Comment

Bill overslept. Not out of bed until after nine. He was going on-line when he noticed the phone flashing. His "hello" was answered with, "hello to you to, you must have been out, Lottie the brat is fine, you still there(?), you did tell me to call" and that is when he heard Marg, "ask him if Leona the land stealer slept over". He managed an "oh God, tell her NO, Leona did not sleep over and Nola, please ask her ladyship if I am still picking her up". Nola replied, "you ask her" and handed the phone to Marg, who said, "what are you going to ask" ?
              Bill said, "peace, a little peace would be nice but perhaps too much to ask, anyway, do I still get the pleasure of driving you home" and Marg said, "darn tooting lover, and don't forget MY room, good seats for the show and in the morning you can stop by, pick me up and even you are well behaved I might let you buy my breakfast". She was about to hang up when she heard, "please don't hang up" and she asked "why" ?
              Bill was sure it was the wrong thing to do but he went ahead, "I would like a word with Lottie, probably piss you off but you are pissed off anyway". A much more subdued Marg said, "i'll get her" then reverted to form with, "and don't be god-damned well late tomorrow".
              Lottie said "hello old friend" and she was laughing. Bill knew she was fine, said, "I don't need to ask, you sound very happy, in good health and i'm thinking that Paul is good for you"......she whispered, "he is, he does know what he is doing and he is a better cook than you"....Bill laughed, added, "you did like my scrambled eggs" and Lottie said, "and you liked the way I thanked you"....both laughed and Paul took the phone said, "gotta cut this short, Bill, we are going to be early for the point but I already talked to the "Father" and he is looking forward to showing what a good chef he is".

Comment

Bill had the rest of the day to kill. He called his old friend Stan. "Stan", he said, "I am looking on the bright side, being positive, extremely positive, Marg and I are going to be fine, happy, excellent; what do you think" ? Stan said, " roller coaster and that is all i'm saying, talk to you later, i'm busy right now", and he hung up. Bill listened to the dial tone and thought, "who in hell does he think he is", but his thoughts quickly changed to, "roller coaster (?) maybe; Stan you bugger I need to talk to you NOW....but if Stan said he "is busy" he is.
                The day was cold, no more than 2C and timmies crossed his mind. He wondered who would be there because a man can get tired of being told what a screw-up he is; he went anyway, figuring, "let them have their day, I know things are going to work out.
                He took all of the jibes with as much calm as he could muster. His scratch ticket won $5.00 and he held it high when he said, "five bucks and this is only the beginning, this man is a winner and tomorrow will tell the tale. Home and a look at the time made him think of lunch. Fritters came to mind and so did Marg; no fritters today, fritters for a Saturday breakfast with Marg, breakfast in bed and he smiled, thought, "a bed overflowing with snacking food"; his really good mood was restored.
                He skipped lunch, actually forgot to eat. He put it down to "an age thing", no worries about seeing a rosy future with a degree anticipation which seriously belied the facts. Bill was really looking forward to the next few days, and NIGHTS. He vacuumed the bedroom and felt that was enough. He did laundry, the red silky sheets and pillow cases. Was going to make up the bed but changed his mind; the red bedding will be fresh for Marg. He cut and filed his nails, remembering the motto used by the "Boy Scouts".
                Nine PM was when he went to bed. He truly believed he could sleep.

Comment

He tried reading, first with his kindle and then got out of bed to find something else but sleep would not come. Ten PM the water boils and he makes a pot of tea; pours a mug full and sits at the computer. Checks the time and is annoyed because only fifteen minutes have elapsed. He gets dressed and goes for a walk. He buys a ticket from the variety store and thinks to scratch it at timmies because he is halfway there. Two blocks later he realizes he was not eve close to the halfway point and decides to go home. Eleven is close at hand, he will scratch the ticket in the morning. But still sleep eludes him.
                  Nine AM and he wakes with a start, the sun is up and he leaps from his bed, runs to the kitchen and groans when he sees the time. He cannot remember what time Marg's flight arrives and realizes he does not know where the airport is. He tells himself not to panic, the time will be in his computer and he has a sat/nav.
                  He shaves, brushes his teeth and is dressed and driving towards London before 9.45, two hours and five minutes to find the airport should be lots.
                  60 kilometres on he is explaining to a bored policewoman why he was a tiny bit over the speed limit. She interrupts his spiel with, "so you are in a hurry because you are meeting someone from a flight, gotta tell you that most flights are on time, seldom early and if they are late it is out of your hands and no need to rush, so did you allow enough time to reach the airport without the need for 135 kilometers per hour....the licence says your from Urbania, okay, this might be your lucky day; Urbania isn't very big, I know someone who lives there, a retired OPP officer, do you know his name". Bill sighed, said, "no but his wife's name might be Jane". The officer closed her pad and said, "don't you ever speed again on my stretch of highway" and Bill was free to go.
                  He had booked a room at one of the larger hotels and went straight to it. Flowers had been placed in the room, one red rose separate. He wrote a note, "this is your room, your bed, would I like to share this bed with you(?), yes, very much, I love you. To hold you while you are fully dressed would be wonderful...undressed we could make it unforgettable, please give us a chance".
                  And he arrived at the airport with time to spare.

Comment

At five minutes to twelve they saw each other. Bill's saw her looking really good and welcomed the smile she wore before the feeling of unease entered his head; her smile was teeth only. He reached for her baggage and she gave it over,wrapped her arms around him and whispered, "hi". Bill could not catch his breath, started to cough and this became gasps and wheezing.
                    Marg said, "oh Bill, I am sorry, forgot about your whatever, thought you might like the perfume, one of your daughters mentioned it on line. Bill snarled, "I know what it is; come", and he turned abruptly and went straight to the taxis. He put her bag in the front seat of the first in line cab, opened the back door and ushered her inside. He slammed the door and handed the driver some money, told him which hotel and then said, "one minute"; he opened the rear door and handed the room key to Marg, saying, "it is paid for and I will call". Marg said, "WAIT" and Bill replied, "I said I would bloody well call and I will, in one hour" and he walked straight to the parking lot, wheezing with every step.
                    A drugstore for ibuprofen because he knew a severe headache was just a short while away. A coffee or three at a timmies used the hour and he called Marg. He said, "clever, and if you can get rid of the "perry" I will pick you up and drive you to Urbania, otherwise you can spend the night, have someone else pick you up or do whatever you wish, your message came through loud and clear".
                    He was astounded when Marg said, "i'm sorry, it was childish and I had no idea you reaction would be that severe, i'm not proposing a reconciliation but I have showered, dressed in fresh clothes and changed to another room, now in 218 and wouldn't mind if we had lunch.
                    1.20 and they were face to face.

Comment

Bill was standing in the hallway, Marg holding the open door to her room. She said, "you could have called from the desk" and Bill replied, "I thought I would come straight to your room, you gave the room number to me and I thought you would invite me in". "Mhm" came from her lips, "is this when I am to experience something unforgettable, no, no, wait, this is to be the warm up when you simply want to hold me". She stepped to one side, "c'mon in Bill, you wanna hold me, do it, just don't get any ideas of us going to bed, let's see, how about the balcony, no, perhaps a little cool, or, how would it be if I stand next to the bedside table, you do anything to piss me off and you wear the lamp".
                      Bill said, "forget it, it wasn't so much a bad plan as bad timing; are we still on for lunch"? And Marg replied, "no Bill not forgetting, not forgetting anything, come, hold me, lean against me, it will be a last chance". Bill was quick, hands touched her shoulders then moved quickly down the length of her arms. They were pelvis to pelvis and Bill was pushing, his feet were on the outside of Margs and each of her hands were held by one of his. She tried leg movement and knew she couldn't kick him.
                      He kissed her neck and she tried to move away from his mouth. His lips continued downward and he kissed the top of her chest, two inches above the top of her breast. She said, "enough, Bill, please, i'm sorry I started this" but it was as if he couldn't hear and his mouth opened and took in as much breast as it could.
                      She said, "Bill, this is not how it is supposed to be". Bill noted her breath was a little heavier, said, "your right" and then he clamped on to the other breast. She said, "no Bill" but there was no conviction.
                      He released her hands and for a brief moment she thought he had finished. His hands moved to her buttocks and pulled her toward him. She felt his readiness but only for an instant then she felt his breath through her slacks, near the top of her leg and then the warmth moved and she held her breath, could not have stopped what he was doing for anything. He felt her hands on his head but she was not pulling his hair.
                      She shuddered, felt limp, a touch of anger was trying to exert itself but all she said was, "please wait for me in the lobby" and she stepped past him and went into the bathroom.

Comment

Bill waited for what seemed like an eternity; he paced, bought a soft drink from a machine, sat and tried to read a newspaper. He stood and had a mind to walk up the stairs to the room but thought he would probably miss Marg if she came down on the elevator. He went outside and walked to the end of the building; smokers dominated the front doors. A few minutes passed, the smokers departed and Bill reclaimed his seat in the foyer.
                        Half an hour had elapsed and Bill was at the front desk, going to ask if he could use the house phone when the elevator doors opened and Marg appeared. She nodded to him and walked towards the exit. Bill followed and once outside said, "there is a very good fish and chip shop not too far and I highly recommend the halibut". Marg answered, "sounds good, Bill, but I would love to go home, would see it as a big favour if you gave the theatre tickets to me and I will use them with a friend of mine".
                        Bill stopped and Marg turned to face him, "your serious (?), he said, and Marg nodded...he said, "but" and Marg cut him off, saying, "Bill, what happened in the room was, I don't know, needed maybe, I mean I must have needed something because I ehm, anyway it isn't going to re-unite us, there are going to be times when I will want you desperately but for now I want separation, I would like to go home, pick-up my sister, the best friend I could ever have, and I am going to phone someone from your past. Bill simply nodded, thought, Nola, and as if reading his mind Marg said, "your friend Lottie said something to me when we first met, I didn't get it then but I think I do now, she is" and Bill added, "not the airhead that everyone thinks she is".
                        The drive to Urbania took a little more than an hour and the only words exchanged were, "coffee ?" and, "please, and a walnut crunch".
                        Marg wanted dropped at her sisters and Bill gave the tickets to her.

Comment

Bill drove to his apartment, surprised, saddened but above all, uncertain; he did not know what to do and he did not like the feeling. He picked up his phone to call Stan and stopped, felt sure he knew what Stan would say, "go to a meeting". Too early but he knew how to pass the time; called Ray in Guelph, wasn't sure they would allow a call but they did and he was pleased.
                          Marg too had mixed feelings, wasn't sure how a separation would feel four or five days ahead. She and Bernice had lunch and afterwards Marg phoned Nola to get a number for Lottie. Nola said, "Lottie (?), I remember when you used to talk to me". "Nola, you know you are irreplaceable, I need to talk to Lottie about something she said when we first met, I think it was the first time her and I saw each other". Nola said, "okay, she will be here in a short while, she spent the night with Paul and is dieing to brag about it to me....does she call you or are you calling back" ? Marg answered, "how about you guys call me and you can use your speaker phone, I will be here with Bernice for the next few hours" . Nola liked that idea.
                          While Marg had been on the phone, Bernice had put on a wash, added Marg's slacks and underwear, did the lunch dishes then poured coffee for each. They were sitting at the kitchen table and Bernice remarked, "that little bit of wash you had is in the machine", and Marg thanked her. Bernice added, "mhm mhm, your welcome" and she raised her eybrows. Marg said, "what" ? Bernice said, "no, nothing, I just wondered why you had changed your pants, you know it was a short flight and it's not like we change our underwear twice a day, not really my business, is it (?) Marg felt herself blush and Bernice took that in, said, "haven't seen you blush for a long time, but it is really not my business".
                          Marg looked down at her hands, said, "just like Mum, she always knew when, you know, okay "touched" myself or got into some heavy petting, anyway I am not telling you what happened because I don't believe it myself". Bernice laughed, answered, "yes you will, not now maybe but you will tell your big sister", Marg laughed, adding, "cotton pants are too thin for this time of year" and they both laughed when Bernice said, "London must have been a lot hotter than Urbania".
                          The phone rang.

Comment

The phone call was for Bernice and after her "hello", said, " oh, hi, Leona", listened and continued, "I have no idea, one minute it is on and the next it is off, I tell you what, how would it be if I pop over, pick you up and we go for a coffee" then, "okay, good, five minutes", and she hung up. Marg said, "that would be Leona the land stealer, I don't know how you can be bothered with any of them". Bernice said, "they stole nothing, you know that, your problem little sis is your vanity, Leona catches the eye of just as many men as you do, in the words of a man I know, "she is one sharp looking road". Marg said, "who said that" ? and Bernice answered, "see ya", picked up her purse, took car keys from their hook and was gone.
                            Before Bernice had driven away, Marg was at the front door of the house, yelled, "wait" and motioned for Bernice to roll down the window; Bernice did and Marg, said, "that bastard Bill, wasn't it, has he been sleeping with her"(?). Bernice just shook her head and Marg, very loudly said, "Bernice, i'm your sister, tell me, i've a right to know", the last word not heard be Bernice because she was driving towards the road. Marg stamped her foot, said, "sonofabitch" and re-entered the house. She poured another coffee and sat staring at the phone. Her coffee cold before the phone rang.

Comment

Marg answered the phone and heard Nola, "Marg, just a minute while i switch this to speaker, our Lottie is ready but cannot remember what you and she talked about". Lottie said, "Marg, was this the time I had come to Nola's after being with Alex (?), see I can't remember, I know I was rushed from the hotel but not much else".
                              Marg said, "that was part of it, you said, "when do they stop being the boss" and I told you that being the boss was a bit old fashioned, but you told me, "perhaps so but sex for them includes, "the image" and i'm not sure what that means because I didn't get a chance to ask you.
                              Lottie was giving it a think and said, "okay, "the image" I remember a bit about but that morning other things were going through my mind. Now i'm not saying they are all the same but I started very young and it seemed that they all wanted to be in charge, you know, like we were there but only for them". Marg said, "okay but what's the dif" ?
                              Lottie laughed, "none I guess, if you are talking about the outcome but where we are different from them might have to do with how they see themselves compared to their friends, no (?) Nola and I have talked a lot about men, mostly men I have slept with but she has had her moments and we seem to remember the good parts as a sort of shared thing and most men, well many, see sex as their right and that part seems to come mostly from being told "be a man", which they get from older pals, pals, magazines, movies and even adverts.
                              Marg said she was still not sure, continued, "right, that might be so and I do know from friends that physical force can play a part, but you know something, one of my classmates dated mister big, the athlete, the football hero and he bragged about what he had done, told his buddies how he held her hands, used his body weight and did "IT", "snapped her cherry" were his exact words, said she cried after but "they all love it once your in" and, let me tell you, she doted on him.
                              Lottie agreed that this sort of thing happened frequently, said, "it happend to me more dan once and I was real easy" and she laughed, added, "some guys needed to feel they had "made" you....but you know, a lot of them do believe they MUST be assertive".
                              Marg said, "what about Bill, was he forceful" ? Lottie sighed, said, "c'mon Marg, you and he are finished", then Nola spoke, "Marg, I think Lottie was talking about younger men, Bill was older"....and Lottie agreed, said, "yes, much older, but you know something, he ehm, never mind but what happened when you and Bill met and how come you are home, thought he had a night planned".
                              Marg said, "no, nothing happened, we did nothing I just wanted to be home". Nola said, "Marg, why am I not believing that (?) I know you HATE him but you were out for revenge, don't tell me you simply let everything slide".
                              Marg said, "okay, nothing MUCH happened, he had the room booked and I had a look at it, sure he wanted me naked but that didn't happen....I will give you a call after dinner, gotta get caught up with friends.
                              Each phone was cradled and Lottie said to Nola, "dat is bull" and Nola smiled, said, "that old bugger had his way", we should call him, later".

Comment

Ray called Bill, "wanna pick me up (?), i've had it with this place, time for me to go home, not as if i'm desperate or anything". Bill said, "no, not really" and Ray exploded, "NO (?), what kind of a friend are you (?), you don't wanna pick me up then fine, I can get a f-----g cab". Bill jumped in, "you need to wash the shit outta your ears, I didnt say I wouldn't I said I didn't want to, I can be there in three hours, and that is if I push it".
                                Ray, a bit short of a "sorry" said, "okay, tell me what YOU want me to do" and Bill said, "not up to me, Ray, but, now listen to what i'm saying, what I would wish for you is that you give the place a shot, trust them, talk to the other men who are, like yourself, new to what you are facing, I would like to see you argue some points, get angry, accept that you MIGHT, just MIGHT, need to make some changes, in short I want you to experience and live through what I did because it works, might not always be pleasant and some changes do take time...but you are the boss".
                                Ray used the "f" word, said, "i'll be in touch" and hung up. Ray called the treatment centre and ten minutes later, Richard was sitting with Ray.
                                Bill sat for a few minutes, looked at the time and headed for timmies where Bernice beckoned to him to join them; he was surprised Bernice was with Leona. When he had his coffee he joined them, saying, "evening Leona" and looking at Bernice added, "your not going to stab me or anything are you" ? Bernice smiled, said, "not at this time...my sister is at my place, not sure what went on when you picked her up, do you want to tell me" ? Bill said, "not at this time...and I take it that the tickets are not going to be used".
                                Bernice said, "damn, you bought tickets for a show, also booked a room, okay, what is the name of the show and which hotel". Bill told her and she stood said, "c'mon Leona, let's go see a play" and the ladies left him alone.
                                Bill returned to his apartment. Bernice drove home and with Leona waiting in the car she went inside, took the theatre tickets and heard Marg say, "what are you doing" as she left.
                                Bernice started her car and said, "curtain rises at eight, means we have an hour and fifteen minutes, hell we don't even need your mustang".

Comment

Working...
                                X