Happy Holidays!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy Holidays!!

New Years Day: Hogmanay was not celebrated in the traditional manner, tae start we, ahm no drinkin and havnae for many years and nay door tae door visiting neighbours. The early part of the evening was spent at the Blenheim (Ontario Senior Centre), a pot luck dinner was served buffet style and the food provided was excellent, roast beef, breaded chicken and all that goes with them (my contribution was a cheese plate....took my culinary skills near tae the limit) and an abundance of desserts...lemon meringue pie for me.
    The entertainment was provided by a country and western singer, a very good voice but the back up music was pre-recorded and a little loud.
    I was home early and although the entertainer never sang "sleeping single in a double bed" it was the one C and W tune which kept running through my mind.

Comment

I mind in Scotland we used to knock on the neighbours doors after the bells and have a wee dram and a blether with them. That doesn't seem to happen in Canada for some reason.

Alastair

Comment

IF I would do this, as above, I'd have to put on my large boots, & hike through 9-10" of snow. And it's rather coolish out there. I am here in the house, with warmness, sitting in front of a HOT computer. My kitties inside are all sleeping comfortably. The outside barn cats seem to take the weather all in stride, but I did fit out a small dog igloo with comfy bedding, & I believe these three guys all get in there, keeping each other warm. They certainly look healthy, & beautiful!! For some reason, this day, I am remembering those of my family who've died, my parents, my older brother, and also some of the "good times" we all shared. I drank a small glass of cherry wine last night, & went on to bed at midnight. I am glad to still be here on the earth. Appreciate having friends online as well!!! Cheers, Joan

Comment

This will be in the wrong place, I suppose. "Happy Holidays" had me thinking "vacations" rather than Christmas. I have returned from "Huntsville" a most gorgeous community a couple of hours north of Toronto. The event which took me there was the "Ontario Senior Winter Games". I played bridge but the town was overflowing with us older folk, hockey, bowling, ping-pong, you name it and it was played. Over a thousand attended and we were treated like royalty.
          A beautiful hotel, three meals a day (really good and plentiful), transportation to all venues, a welcome to Huntsville party and the population couldn't have been nicer.....my cost, totaled less than $200.00 and that included $27.00 from each participant for tips....so if you are a senior and get a chance to attend anything like that, grab it.

Comment

Awww.....a real vacation. How wonderful that sounds. Glad you had a good time and all the services were as expected. Was just picturing all "us older folk" playing hockey!!!

Comment

Diane: I did not see any of the hockey games but one of the teams was on the same bus and when they boarded the first player came on with crutches, a bent knee and a very painful expression....just pleased that it wasn't me.

Comment

Working...
              X