X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year's Resolutions 101

New Year’s Resolutions 101

By Marla W. Deibler, PsyD

New Year’s resolutions: We have all set them and we have all broken them. Whether it is to lose weight, stop smoking, or spend more quality time with our loved ones, New Year’s resolutions involve behavior change. Achieving and maintaining change can be challenging. After all, behavior patterns develop over time and it takes time to develop new patterns. For those who look ahead to the new year with personal goals, here a few tips for success:

1.Set realistic goals. One of the greatest reasons for failing to meet a personal goal is that the goal is unrealistic. So, keep it obtainable.

2.Be kind to yourself. Behavior change does not happen overnight. It is a process. There will be good times that are consistent with your goals, and times that are not quite so good. Allow yourself to make a mistake from time to time. Do not dwell on it or be unkind to yourself because of it. Make useful meaning of it. Learn from it. And, move forward toward your goal.

3.Remember that success is motivating. Track your progress and set smaller goals on the course to your end goal. Meeting goals feels good and this motivates behavior, so set goals en route and empower yourself to keep going.

4.Think about thinking. Our own thoughts can keep us from achieving our goals. Identify unreasonable, inaccurate, and unhelpful thoughts that lead to negative feelings and self-sabotaging behavior. Then, change them. Thoughts that are realistic and consistent with our goals are more likely to positively affect our emotional experience and promote desirable behavior.

5.Reward yourself. Positive reinforcement is a powerful tool to encourage desirable behavior. So, go ahead, praise yourself for every success, no matter how small. It will help you to continue your efforts.

Best wishes for a great 2013 and achieving all you hope to achieve.

Felt this was worth posting. Joan:shamrock::redrose:

Re: New Year's Resolutions 101

My New Years resolution is to become a scratch golfer by this time next year....and when this time next year arrives, I shall make the same resolution....:confused::crazy:
    Euan..

Comment

I was reading somewhere that it is important you set "realistic" goals for your resolutions Euan <grin> But I wish you every success in this one.

Alastair

Comment

Well Al, success is on the way..around August 2012, when i started recording my score,i would generally hit around 58 maybe 56 for 9 holes. Today i hit 47 on the hardest 9 holes.
        Euan..

Comment

Don't get carried away!!!!

It IS golf after all.

Sandy

Comment

Excellent progress Euan.. well done!

I remember many years ago when playing a par 5 on Grangemouth Golf Club there was a ridge across the fairway about 240 yards out. I usually got to about the ridge with my driver. However this particular day the twosome that were in front had just gone past the ridge so I figured it was save to drive. Lo and behold to my astonishment it sailed over the ridge so much so that I had to yell "fore". Probably the best drive of my life.

I also got a hole in one at Dollar Golf Course. It was the second hole and it was a par 3 and almost a vertical hole as it was the one that got you up the hill to where the rest of the course was. So it was a 9 iron only and you would line it up with a pole stuck at the top. Well got a good shot or so I thought so but when getting up to the green couldn't find the ball. So my playing partner holed out and when he went to get his ball out of the cup lo and behold there was my golf ball!

Alastair

Comment

Don't worry Sandy, I'm well aware of the cruel aspects of the game..
              Euan..

Comment

Hi Al,
                and I suppose you landed a 60lb salmon on the Forth as well~~~~

Sandy

Comment

Euan, I'll stick to the walking (once I get over the sore knee)!!

Sandy

Comment

No... but I did land a 3 inch trout on the River Devon at Dollar <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                    X