Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goats on the Higlands of Oklahoma

Down on The Kathy Marie

Winter comes into Oklahoma like a stalking cat showing an occasionally swipe with a cold claw while she slinks along toward her target. Suddenly with a swift pounce there is no mistaking the ability to totally dominate as freezing temperatures drop onto the landscape, humans and animals.

Little Max was young in years but wise to the ways of his adversary, the weather. The extension cord he had laboriously pulled across the length of space from outlet to his sister’s goat’s pen was going to work for him to hang a heat lamp so that the likely unthankful mischievous animal would have warmth through the bitter cold night.

While his mother watched he pulled and arranged the cord to the place where it would hang just out of Nanny’s reach. O course, this wasn’t enough to thwart the goat’s need to cause grief for the boy.

“Why did you throw that feed bucket at Nanny? And why are you kicking the gate on her fence?” Max’s mother thought the boy had lost his mind.

“Plop!” There was Nanny on the ground.

“Couldn’t you see her!” Max turned to his wide eyed mother. “She was chewing on that electric cord!” The boy’s efforts to distract the goat by throwing the empty feed bucket and kicking the fence didn’t work.

“Is she going to be okay?” His mother was still unbelieving for why the goat was so foolish to chew an electric cord and had been subsequently knocked to the ground.

“Aw, she’s all right. Look at her shaking her stupid head and looking silly. I”ll bet she doesn’t do that again.”

“Help me with this other cord to my hog’s pen. They won’t be so ignorant to chew on the cord.” Max was not to be turned from keeping his animals comfortable and, indeed, alive through he freezing cold of this Oklahoma winter night.
Working...
X