Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver

Hey,
    Saw this old webcam from 1907. I love to see life as it was so many years ago. Thought some might enjoy seeing this. Who knew they had webcam back then! The man who took this was Seattle Film maker William Harbeck. He was later commissioned to document the launching of the Titanic at age 44 causing his untimely death.

Re: Vancouver

Hi Diane

Thanks for the look back in time, yes even before my time !!

It does not have a video, but today the BBC also looks back in time, the London Undergrond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20901856

I hope the link works for you.

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 10 January 2013, 13:49. Reason: spelling

Comment

Anyone notice that they drove on the proper side of the road in Vancouver back then? :-)

Elda

Comment

And no traffic lights!

Cheers

Hugh

Comment

Hey...Diane...I especially enjoyed seeing all the horses pulling the wagons, the dogs running loose (with no obvious owners), & the fact that the fellow who filmed this, obviously was riding on the trolley/tram, as it followed the tracks. However, even in MY childhood, we had folks with wagons & horses, such as a White's bread wagon, with a brown horse, who was tied to a heavy object right in front of our house. I believe that my mom did buy bread from the guy.

Also, she'd put a smallish ICE sign out in front window, & a large guy with leather apron on shoulder, would bring in a big chunk of ice. I don't remember Mom paying for it, although she had to have. And I remember the elderly/old man pulling a makeshift wagon, yelling "Rags, Rags", although don't remember his stopping to pick anything up. I was there in East End of Dayton, OH, from about 1946-1958. Lots of changes since that time period. Take care, Joan

Comment

Talk about going back in time, here is a link from the BBC today....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20998737

There will be more journeys for this train at quiet times in the underground celebrating the original work.

For those that can see this link, note the comments about the crowds turning out, just to see train at the stations!

Don't forget to click on some of the links at the right side of the main text.

Ranald
            Last edited by Ranald; 13 January 2013, 17:36. Reason: added 2 lines

Comment

Thanks Diane, very interesting even if the webcam used celluloid! I spend a fair bit of time in Vancouver and can recognize some of the downtown buildings that are still there. The residential area is high end and almost certainly many of those houses are still standing and inhabited. I'm afraid the streets are a bit busier now and one wouldn't enjoy crossing them at will on foot.

Comment

Working...
              X