Fires in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires in Australia

These seem to be some serious fires in Australia... I've been seeing reports on the Canadian news channels but funnily enough not on the US news channels.

Alastair

Re: Fires in Australia

The worst of them have been in Tasmania, Alastair. Down on the lower east side peninsula. It's unusual for Tassie to get such high temperatures. It's not been unusual in the past for Tasmania to get snow on Christmas Day, so this doesn't happen very often.

What makes us all angry are the stupid people who light them deliberately. It's usually teenagers but it's not unknown for supposedly more sensible, mature people to do it. You have to wonder what gets into their heads. So far there are none of any consequence close to me but there was a small grass fire not far away, caused by someone tossing away a lit cigarette, which was quickly extinguished.

In the past some stupid local Council decisions have been to blame. For example, a friend of mine backs onto bush and every year she and her husband would clear the bush back to leave a fire break. They would hack all the undergrowth out and put it out for Council to collect. What did the Council do? They stopped picking up the stuff my friends had cleared out and if they wanted rid of it they had to take to the tip and pay to take it in. You can guess what my friends did after that.

Elda

Comment

I guess that's where people go by the letter of the law instead of the meaning of the law. That is indeed daft Elda.

BTW if you or anyone else should spot a story in the online newspapers over there about Scots I'd be pleased to get a url in for the article. That way I can add it to my new ScotNews feed which I've placed on the site index page.

Alastair

Comment

Hey,
        Ya I saw the news about the wildfires. Sounds so familiar. I also read where there was a great dust storm that had mixed with a storm from the ocean and was coming in on the West shore of Australia. The pics were fantastic and tragic at the same time. They were in a slideshow and I couldn't get them posted here. Hope everyone stays safe!

Comment

In Queensland alone an area of one million sq miles is affected by fires, that area is equivalent to the UK, Ireland,France,Belguim, Netherlands,and Switzerland combined.Most of this area is cattle country, so now food has to be brought in for feed.
          Euan..

Comment

The temperatures have been so high two new colors have been added to the temp. map to accommodate. 129F has been recorded in one area.

And it won't be reported at length in the US media as the corporate elite do not want to inform the plebes global warming is a fact.

Comment

Hey,
              Saw this picture this morning. Sure hope they can get it under control soon. How awful for everything!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fires.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	23566
              170 Fires Rage Across Australia's New South Wales State
              Over 1.2 million acres of land have been destroyed by the blazes

Comment

Working...
              X