OSPREY HUNTING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSPREY HUNTING

Incredible hunting by an osprey. He got multiple fish at one swoop, a flounder under several feet of water, and then what looks like a steelhead weighing as much as he. To boot he shakes himself off like a dog.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXn...layer_embedded

Re: OSPREY HUNTING

Hello Lizzie

Many thanks for the link, which I throughly enjoyed.

In October 1954, my wife to be and I paid a viit to Nethybridge, where my father and mother were on holiday. ( 2 bedrooms allocated for us ;-( )

My father had purchased the house for his retirement.

Just to the south is the great Abernethy forrest where we often took long walks

On one of the walks we saw a large bird, gliding gracefully for long distance, but I did not know the name of the bird.

On making enquiries, it was established that it was in fact an Osprey, which had taken up residence in Loch Garten, also in the forrest.

It was then established that it was one of a pair that had come to Sotland for the first time sonce the late 1800s!!

We then visited Loch Garten and saw the nest in process of being built.

Here is a link which gives some of the history.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...rey/index.aspx

There are now many more of these birds breeding throuhout Scotland, and while on holiday at the Loch of the Lowes in 2003, we saw them there.

Your link had the old brain working, and thanks for that.

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 14 January 2013, 18:25.

Comment

Re: OSPREY HUNTING

Hello Ranald:

Thanks for the post. You've corrected a belief I had the piercing whistles I heard while padding the Highlands in the early 60's with the GUMC was from ospreys. Must have been from hawks or eagles. The cries certainly added to the eeriness of the empty glens.

Comment

Working...
      X