Windows 8 Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Platform

I just had a new computer built for me base on an Intel i7 chip and Windows 8 64 bit edition. It will have to go back next week as some of the innards aren't working as advertised. So far, the jury is out on Windows 8. It makes the computer act like an oversized tablet. The system does boot up in a fraction of the time that Windows 7 did.

Re: Windows 8 Platform

I had thought of going down that road, but my 'guru' said no, more memory- XP out and Win 7.

I has been fine, but I note it is slower than when first built. Ihave a tremebdous amount of 'stuff' installed. I really should delete some, but that is not my nature.... it might come in handy one day !!

Good luck with the machine, once you receive it back.

Ranald

Comment

I have only heard good reports on win8, and have considered installing it on my desktop. I'm surprised at the cost around $70au for a full version, it makes me wonder if the proliferation of tablets running apple and android had something to do with it.
      If that is the case,why were we paying hundreds for win7 and other previous editions?
      I can only think we have been taken for chumps all these years..
      Euan..

Comment

I "belong" to PCWorld Mag website, & between that and Cnet, they say that Windows 7 is better overall from Windows 8. I looked through a list of sites that sold the 7, & the cheapest was about $73.something. I had "cold feet", & at present, some lack of $$, so didn't do anything. One doesn't know exactly just what to do....as XP will not be "supported" after April 14th (I think that's correct date.) I recently changed over from paying $60 a year for Norton Security, to a free one...started with Windows Security Essentials, then read about probs with that. Now I have a FREE Avast security system, & so far think it's good. Sometimes I ask my oldest son, who's a computer nerd/geek. Otherwise, am flying on my own!!! Joan

Comment

I didn't know about XP not being supported after April. What are we supposed to do? I have free Avast and it seems OK. I've had it for a few years. I also have free Advanced SystemCare which seems fine too.

Elda

Comment

Elda,Joan, mainstream support for XP ended in April 2009, which means it's way past time to upgrade if you want a smooth and safe running machine. Extended support ends April 2014.
            For the cost of a couple of packets of fags and a few of pints you can get Win8...
            As for Free versions of Antivirus, they may work ok, and i have used them in the past, however you get what you pay for.
            I use Norton system security, for around $80 a year, i get regular updates, system security, and detailed reports every month informing me of just whats been happening in my computer. I haven't seen a virus in years.
            Euan..

Comment

Working...
            X