• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How owls swivel their heads

From the BBC, and worth a look.

How owls swivel their heads

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21279609

Afterwards, then scroll down, and on the right side, click the first one on the list (named as below).

'See a barn owl show off its incredible hearing'

Enjoy

Ranald

Re: How owls swivel their heads

Ranald...Many years ago, in the late '70's...I was teaching foods & nutrition, even cooking, to lower income families...mainly women, in their own homes in my county. This is a very rural area, & this was during winter...we'd had major snowstorms, etc., and ultimately, I kind of got "snow blindness" from driving my big old Buick through the white countryside. We had snows longer than I could ever remember!!

One day, I passed a barn, & saw a large bird sitting on a fence post, & when he looked at me in the vehicle, I realized I'd just seen a real barn owl. I wonder IF the smallish barn owl the fellow was attracting, even being female, shows that the UK barn owls may all be smaller than ours?? Anybody know difference, if any? PS: Great videos!!!

Joan

Comment

Hello Joan

There are many web pages about Barn Owls, but I think the following is the most detailed.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barn_Owl/lifehistory

You will note that they do mention that the North American is the largest !

The following site is also worth a look. I have not yet used all the links contained in the site.

http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/infopage.html?Id=4

Ranald
      Last edited by Ranald; 3 February 2013, 08:40. Reason: added two lins

Comment

Ranald...I went to the Cornell web site about birds. Enjoyed seeing info re: barn owls, then searched my favorite bird, Carolina Wren. I have several of these around here mainly in summer. They will nest in my old barn, sometimes in a cavity in a wooden beam, sometimes making nests inside old metal kitchen cabinets (not mine!!) that someone left here (on the wall of barn!). Many years ago, when I'd only been here for short time, I heard sounds from inside my enclosed back porch. Now, my understanding was that the old lady who used to live here, had a "cat door" in the wall of back porch. Carolina wrens are very curious. I say that they seem to be very like chipmunks, in a bird body. Anyway, I looked from the kitchen into back porch, & saw a Carolina wren perched on something out there, & walking around on the floor!! He'd been there obviously for a while, as I found his droppings on floor. At any rate, I opened the back door of porch, propping it open, & he finally flew out. They are unafraid of me, as I go about my outdoors chores. I know when it's spring coming, as I see pairs flying in & out OVER the doors/windows of the old barn. I've saved the site All About Birds, thanks to you. Ta' Joan

Comment

Working...
        X