Oscar-Winner Jennifer Lawrence Speaks Up for Mental Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar-Winner Jennifer Lawrence Speaks Up for Mental Health

You may have missed the Oscars on Sunday night, but you surely haven’t missed all the talk about them since they aired.

One of the things you may have also missed, though, was Oscar-winner Jennifer Lawrence speaking about mental illness and the stigma and prejudice that still surround people with a mental health concern.

In the movie she won the Best Actress Oscar for, Lawrence plays a character who befriends Bradley Cooper’s character, who has bipolar disorder. Her performance is simply wondrous, and given her age at the time of the filming — just 21 — also quite extraordinary.

“I think that there’s such a huge stigma over it [mental illness], that I hope we can get rid of, or help… I mean, people have diabetes or asthma and they have to take medication for it. But as soon as you have to take medication for your mind, there’s this instant stigma. Hopefully we’ve given those people hope, and made people realize that it’s not–”

She also said in a separate interview, “I don’t think we’re going to stop until we get rid of the stigma for mental illness. I know [director] David O. Russell won’t, and I hope that this helps.

By the way, if you haven’t seen Silver Linings Playbook, now’s a good time to fix that.

We hope Lawrence goes on to do more great work in Hollywood, making movies with meaning and a message. But using her voice during the Oscars to speak up for people with mental illness and mental health concerns is a great start. Thanks, Ms. Lawrence, for that effort!

Article written by John M. Grohol, PSYD , in Psych Central newsletter

As I, personally, worked to retirement as a case manager with seriously mentally ill clients, I say HOORAY for this young girl. I've experienced, albeit, "second hand", the way "normal" folks act around mentally ill people. They are many of the best folks in the world, provided they take their medications!!! Joan :redrose: check out the video on YouTube.

Re: Oscar-Winner Jennifer Lawrence Speaks Up for Mental Health

Hi Joan

Not sure which video you meant to suggest. If it was in her 'reply', where mention was made of the illness, then perhaps the following link will be in order.

I hope you don't mind my try...

Ranald

Comment

Re: Oscar-Winner Jennifer Lawrence Speaks Up for Mental Health

Yes Joan, you are right. Most people think if an illness or disability can't be seen, it doesn't exist. According to a survey by the Salvation Army which I read a number of years ago, 75-80% of homeless people have a mental illness of some kind. But, you will never see a homeless person with Downs Syndrome!!!!!!! It's very wrong as part of mental illnesses is the inability of the ill person to recognise that they are ill and to make inappropriate choices. The laws need to be changed so that they can be scheduled more easily for their own good and for the good of their families.

Elda

Comment

Working...
      X