No announcement yet.

Has Anyone sighted Comet pan-Starrs?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone sighted Comet pan-Starrs?!?

I noted that the comet pan-Starrs was pictured on-line through a news letter on March 2, close to Queenstown, New Zealand. I have found out that my area of the USA might be able to see it in the West, after sunset on March 12th. Have any of our southern hemisphere folks seen this phenomenon yet?

I'd like a detailed, written report!?!!!!! In other words, could someone let all of us know how it was, & what your impressions of it were. I used to work in Cincinnati years ago, & every night coming home on the interstate, I'd see the Hale-Bopp comet up there in the sky. (just had a huge book order...so had to pause!!)

Thanks...Joan

Re: Has Anyone sighted Comet pan-Starrs?!?

I haven't heard about it. There hasn't been any publicity or news about it in my neck of the woods.

Elda

Comment

Hi Joan, an others

For many years now I have been using the NASA site for information.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...-at-nasa/2013/

It is a massive site, but the above will give 'todays' news.

Ranald

Comment

Hi Joan:

Spotted this bit in my meandering through articles this morning:

05:22 PM ET
        Rare naked-eye comet now visible

By Amanda Barnett, CNN

A rare treat for sky watchers is hovering overhead.

Comet Pan-STARRS is now visible on the western horizon in the Northern Hemisphere and viewers in the United States may be able to see it with the naked eye.

The comet has been visible through telescopes in the Southern Hemisphere for a while and amateur photographers are now posting sightings online from the Northern Hemisphere.

Scientists estimate that naked-eye comets happen only once every five to 10 years, according to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

If you have a clear view of the western horizon about 15 minutes after twilight, you should be able to see the comet without using binoculars or a telescope. It will look like a bright point of light with its tail pointing nearly straight up from the horizon, according to the laboratory.

In a few days, the comet may get lost in the sun's glare, but should be visible to the naked eye again by March 12. This may be the best time to look for Pan-STARRS; it should emerge in the western sunset sky not far from the crescent moon.

The comet will slowly fade from view and be hard to see by the end of the month, even using binoculars or small telescopes.

PanSTARRS gets its funky name from the telescope credited with discovering it: the Panoramic Survey Telescope & Rapid Response System in Hawaii.

Comment

Here is the link to PanSTARRS

http://www.space.com/20142-comet-pan...ing-facts.html

Ranald

Comment

Here is another link, this time from the BBC, but is worth a look for others outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21701641

Scroll down to the small video, where the 'BBC's Reecca Morelle explains' ...

Ranald

Comment

Working...
            X