Fun With Can of EXPANDING Foam!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun With Can of EXPANDING Foam!!

I've had two cans of the above expanding foam for quite a long time now. It states on the can that you must use it only when it is warmer, as it won't work well in cold weather. Soooo, today at this time, EDT, it's 5:10PM. And according to my computer Weather Channel, it's 67 Degrees F. Finally got done with the projects I'd set out to do.

First, I took all of my detergents, bleach, dusters, laundry detergents, softeners, etc., etc. out of the under kitchen sink cabinet. I cannot kneel on the kit. floor, so had to have my spongy rubber kneeling pad, the can of foam, which has to be shaken "for AT LEAST 30 seconds". Plus paper towels to clean up areas where the spray went by mistake. Then started filling a very large hole, where my plumber made a hole for the pipes to go over to the washer/dryer. That one was next to the one where I keep newspapers & also paper towels in pkg., & such as swiffers, & such. The foam of course, filled too far over, & I had to clean that up. Then there's another hole on the other side of that cabinet...which goes to the outside of cabinet, & that was blurping through too. Cleaned that up, & varied other spots that got gooed up.

My enclosed back porch, of course, is colder in the winter time, & have noted fresh air coming through a few holes by the outer door. So, that was where I actually started, & those were very deep holes!! Can't wait to see what my cats do...hoping they don't think they need to dig them out!

Next, but definitely not the least, I needed to fill two prominent holes up in my storage room, what I consider is the attic. These holes were evidently caused by mice, & have been there a while...since I moved in! I filled those two holes, & the foam was perfect.

However, in all of the above work, I first had to move "stuff" out of the cabinets, and move stuff that was in front of the holes upstairs & on the porch. After, I had to move things back!!! So, that's how I spent much of my Sunday..."day of rest" HAH! Often feel that I am part of the Three Stooges...especially in doing this kind of maintenance work, but I seem to "get it done"!!! :shamrock::shamrock::shamrock:

Re: Fun With Can of EXPANDING Foam!!

So, what does it do this foam? Is it just airtight or watertight too? I've never heard of it although, mind you, I've never gone looking for anything like that. The mice holes made me think of when I had a new dishwasher still under warranty one time when it started leaking. I called out the manufacturer and the guy who came to fix it was Scottish. Turned out a mouse/mice had chewed the hose which wasn't covered by the warranty but the guy said, since he liked my accent, he'd put it down as something else......ROFL! Sometimes having the right accent is useful.

Elda
    Last edited by Glesgalass; 10 March 2013, 22:31. Reason: typo

Comment

It is rather a good product........................I believe it also can be used to muffle talkative women [ it only has a limited effect] .Still, us men of the world can always live in hopes.

Comment

Oh Gordon, you did not just say that!!!! What would all you "men of the world" do without us ladies telling you how things are suppose to be done???

Comment

It's such a hoot all the male pots denouncing the female kettles . . . :wink:

Comment

Hey, all...this is an answer to Glesgalass....I do not know what you folks in Oz use for insulation, but have seen it done on TV programs. I used an aerosol can which had to be shaken for a loooong time, which creates pressure, & then screwed a plastic nozzle thingy onto the top, & with my pushing down on that, was able to get the plastic like stuff to come out. In construction overall, nowadays, there will be a guy dressed in major coveralls, using a large machine to blow a foam onto the inside of the walls, between the studs. That's just what I was doing, except in a smaller way, & then I went back with my handy little folding saw, & sawed off the excess of the hardened foam. I left the mouse holes with no sawing off the blobs, as they were in the corners of the attic. By the by, my cats didn't mess with the areas I'd worked on the back porch. It has cut down on the air coming onto the porch. My purpose was to limit "anything" getting into the places that I filled...such as critters, etc. Hope that's explained it all.... By the way...Gordon...in Britain they have an expression that suits this occasion..."shut yer gob!" I guess that could be construed as "muffling"!!! Not trying to insult the males on here, but just calling the kettle/pot black!!

Comment

Ha! That Gordon thinks he's safe being down there in a wee place called Penguin in Tasmania. We know where you are Gordon and we have no doubt that we could recruit some females in Penguin should we try

Elda

Comment

Hi Joan,

It is available here...............I have used it a few years ago for exactly the same purpose.works a treat and saves using all those non-existent carpentry skills..

Being a "True Blue Gentleman" , I shall be nice to all you petite young lassies and leave with a passing thought...........:redrose::redrose::lilangel :

"Shaddup Your Face"

Comment

Working...
                X