Thickened Mil, Gravy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thickened Mil, Gravy.

Thickened milk is how one storyteller remembered the gravy his mother made when they crossed the plains in a covered wagon. So it is, two tablespoons flour added to two tablespoons oil in a skillet, browned and having milk added to cook while using a whisk to keep out the lumps is what we call gravy but, actually is “thickened milk."

Maybe this is why my husband married into our family. His mother was a fine cook and did everything according to the books as far as good nutrtion was concerned. Certainly she didn’t add rich sauces to her well thought out recipe.In fact she was a bit “put off” when her young son smoothered food in katchup. The women of my family all were proud of their ability to be good gravy makers.

Some of their variation were: green onion gravy, tomato gravy, soy sauce gravy, milk gravy, meat drippings gravy.

No entrance into spring was ever observed without the use of the first green shoots of winter onions. Chopped into small pieces so their pungent fragrance permeated every part of one’s mouth, made the treat uncommon and delicious.

Tomato gravy, a sauce all it’s own, is made by using tomato paste in the liquid added, not milk. Soy sauce added to just thickened flour and water (no milk) is as tasty as a good gravy made with meat fat and can be added to the tomato gravy, as well, or just enjoyed as plain soy sauce gravy.

Last, but not least, is the au juice made by simply adding water to the pan in which a roast had been cooked. This was Mother’s favorite. She served it in a small pitcher and we simply poured it over our mashed potatoes, biscuits or whatever.
    Last edited by DonnaFlood; 18 March 2013, 06:06. Reason: typo

Re: Thickened Milk, Gravy.

Actually I remember this last one. When my mother was doing a roast my father and myself would get a treat. We might be sitting watching TV and then my mum would appear with a saucer on which was a slice of bread soaked in the meat drippings. That was a real treat.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
    X