Enigma Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enigma Machine

A number of years ago, our friend Doug Ross used to concoct and post these brain teasers every week. He would post on Sunday or Monday and would let the members guess at the answers for the rest of the week when he would finally post the answers. Here is the first one I have and if there is any interest I will post some more. Click on the image for a larger picture.

Cheers,

Hugh

Click image for larger version

Name:	EM10.gif
Views:	1
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	24012

Re: Enigma Machine

These are either too hard or there is no interest. Or is everyone afraid they may be wrong?

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Hi Hugh

I must admit that I never took up the offer from Doug, when he put up these Enigma questions.

I think it is my brain, or lack thereof, that is the problem.

Thank you, but I'll pass....

Ranald

Comment

Likewise... my brain is obviously damaged... I have absolutely no clue as to what this is all about. Perhaps it would be worth explaining the logic and how to solve this?

Alastair

Comment

If we look at the item given the number 2, there is the word "LOW" inside the word "COME" so the answer would be "LOW INCOME". The rest are like that. Try to make a word or expression out of the items that are there. Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

I am pretty sure I'd be totally useless at this Hugh but thanks for explaining.

Alastair

Comment

I'm no good at that kind of thing that's why I never did Doug's enigma either. Somehow, my brain just doesn't work like that. I'm no good at cryptic crosswords either. A lot of people did participate though. I wonder where they all are?

Elda

Comment

Don't know where they all are Elda. Over the years most of the email addresses don't work any more. I used to send out my newsletter to around 3,500 people but with folk changing their email addresses and spam filters getting more aggressive I think it only reaches a few hundred now.

Alastair

Comment

At first I thought it would be about WWII code breaking, but here goes: 1. Foreclose (four close); 2. Low income (a freebie); 3. Plumb bob; 4. Thumb in it; 5. That is beside the point; 6. Doom and gloom; 7. Reject it all; 8. Hearts on fire; 9. Better by far; 10. the double play; 11. Null and void; 12. the Lone Ranger. I'm not too sure about number 7, but nice break anyhow!

Comment

Hi Rick, very well done.

Hugh will be delighted with your reply.

I wonder if 4 is just Thumb it ?

Ranald

Comment

Great attempt Rick. Almost 100%. Here are the official answers according to Doug.

Answers to Enigma Machine #10:

1. foreclose

2. low income

3. bob up and down

4. Thumb through it.

5. That is beside the point.

6. doom and gloom

7. know it all or dash it all

8. hearts on fire

9. better by far

10. the play by play or the double play

11. null 'n void

12. The Lone Ranger

Comment

I'm pretty hopeless on these type of "enigmas". I did get #'s 8 & 9 of the above. Sometimes I like to do crosswords, but not all the time. I'll keep an eye on these, & try in a "desultory" fashion. Thanks, Joan

Comment

Rick, I think your answer to #3 is as good as the one I posted.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Working...
                          X