The Blackhalls of that Ilk and Barra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blackhalls of that Ilk and Barra

Hereditary Coroners and Foresters of the Garioch by Alexander Morison (1905)

I don't usually ocr in books on individual families but due to the first paragraph of this book I thought I might make an exception with this one.

THE Editor for the New Spalding Club of the Records of Aboyne (p. 183), in discussing a charter conveying land, refers to one of the witnesses—Alexander Blackhall of that Ilk—as “a member of an ancient family, who frequently appear as witnesses to Aberdeenshire charters.” The object of the following pages is to give some account of that family. It is, moreover, one of the conditions attached to the granting of a “free search” among the documents in the Historical Department of His Majesty’s Register House in Edinburgh, that the results of such investigation should be published. As I obtained such permission in connection with an examination of the family history of the Blackhalls of that Ilk, I now fulfil the obligation thus imposed on me. But for this, the following records, if published at all, would probably have been circulated privately, for immediate interest in the history of most families is limited. It may be, however, that a certain general interest attaches to the history of the Blackhalls, as a concrete instance of the feudal forfeitures, to which King James VI. was sufficiently ill-advised to resort, in order to fill his depleted Treasury. It would, moreover, be strange, if, in the continuous story of a number of human beings, such as is set forth in these pages, there were no “touch of Nature” discoverable calculated to make “the whole world kin,” and consequently more or less interested. Possibly the Reader may, in this history of the Blackhalls, find some such justification for the wider publication of these memorials, which the circumstance mentioned has rendered necessary.

You can read this book at
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/blackhalls/

Alastair
Working...
X