Songs Of Scotland, Prior To Burns
    Forfarshire
    The Annals of Scottish Natural History
    The Blackhalls of that Ilk and Barra
    William Hannah
    Beths Newfangled Family Tree
    Dean of Lismore's Book
    History of England and Scottish connections
    Excursion to the Orkney Islands (New Book)
    and finally

Electric Scotland News
    As I mentioned the other week I've been having problems with my computer and it now seems it's down to the ClickFree backup drive I added to the system. It's now heading back to the company for replacement so I hope the replacement will fix the problems.

Actually despite the issues it's an excellent concept as if the main hard disk ever needs to be replaced you can boot from this device and totally restore the operating system, programs and data.

-----

I'm finding some good stories for our ScotNews feed and if you get a chance you might visit our index page at http://www.electricscotland.com. I can add stories throughout the day but mostly I put up the main bunch of stories at around 11 am EST but can also add them later in the day, in the evening or even just past midnight. There are always 50 stories so when a new one is added the oldest will come of the list. This means that the stories will remain on the site for perhaps a little over a week and then they are gone as I don't archive them on the site. They are all culled from Scottish newspapers and Scottish sources. Like at time of writing here are the some of the most recent stories I've featured...

Game of thrones: Scots role in foreign power struggles
    March 27, 2013 11:34:59 pm
    On Good Friday almost 500 years ago, Scots fought in a battle on Swedish soil in which their country was not involved. It was not an isolated case. Thousands of Scots have played a part in power struggles overseas for many centuries.

Perthshire to launch the UK's first geocache based tour
    March 27, 2013 11:28:39 am
    A high-tech treasure hunt is being launched in Perthshire in an attempt to lure tourists to the area.

First beaver spotted at a Perthshire loch in 400 years is given a DNA test
    March 27, 2013 11:25:11 am
    The first wild beaver in more than 400 years has been trapped at a Perthshire nature reserve in order to perform health checks and a DNA test.

Scottish local councils face tough spending decisions
    March 27, 2013 11:23:33 am
    Councils may have to reintroduce proposals they previously ruled out as they try to balance their budgets, according to the Accounts Commission.

It's official.. dark chocolate is good for you so you can eat your Easter eggs without feeling guilty
    March 27, 2013 11:21:48 am
    NUTRITIONAL therapist Laila Lewis reveals that chocolate can help lift your mood, improves memory and boost brain power.

Scottish textile mill that dates back to 1788 goes into partial liquidation as axe hangs over 36 jobs
    March 27, 2013 11:19:10 am
    THE mill which is based in the Borders dates to 1788 although its current operator was only formed in 2010 after a management buy-out.

Cigarettes and tobacco to be sold in plain packaging as Scotland bids to become 'smoke free' by 2034
    March 27, 2013 11:16:49 am
    SCOTTISH Public Health Minister Michael Matheson also set target to reduce number of smokers in Scotland by 2034 to help improve health.

First Scots patient fitted with new hearing aid
    March 27, 2013 11:10:29 am
    A HOSPITAL healthcare assistant in Tayside has become the first partially deaf person is Scotland to be fitted with a revolutionary new hearing device which allows sounds to be transmitted directly to the inner ear via bone conduction.

And so you can visit daily to read them or at least once a week so as to not miss any.

-----

Sorry about the newsletter for last week as I totally forgot you had to login to be able to download the pdf file. In actual fact I was having a major problem in getting it formatted and I only discovered later that the new version of my ocr'ing software I use is now embeding extra html code which is what was causing the problem. So to be frank I simply got a bit pissed off and decided just to post the pdf file as I was getting hungry and wanted to get my dinner. I did as it happens add the usual newsletter after I'd had my dinner as by that time my brain was working again.

-----

I'm really a very lucky person in that my life revolves around history which means I get the time to look at many publications. Now I don't of course have time to read them all in detail but do have time to at least scan the contents. This means I often find information that is interesting and also takes me to further studies some of which I publish on the site. It's like the old magazines such as the Historical Review and the Annals of Scottish Natural History we're adding at the moment. Now probably like me you are not going to read every page but if you take the time to scan through them it's amazing what you can find that will tweak your interest. So I certainly encourage you to take a few minutes to scan through these as I think you'll find them of interest.

Electric Canadian

Canada and its Provinces
    In 22 volumes and Index

I have now started to add these volumes and the idea is to make one volume available each week until complete. Should you be interested in this series then you'll be able to dip into each volume during the week and thus be ready for the next volume appearing.

Now added The Dominion: Missions, Arts and Letters: Volume 11 - Section VI

You can get to this collection towards the foot of our Canadian History page at
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...nada/index.htm

Enter the Haggis
    Canadian-Celtic Rock Band release a new CD this weekend.

Got in a promotional letter and a sample CD so thought I'd copy you into this. They do as it happens have a number of videos on YouTube.

You can read more about their new album and watch a video at
    http://www.electricscotland.org/show...ter-the-Haggis

The Flag in the Wind

This weeks edition was Compiled by Claire Adamson.

The main story is of course the announcement of the date for the Referendum.

You can read this issue at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Electric Scotland

The Scottish Historical Review
    We have now started on Volume 4 and added this week April 1907 in two parts at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...w/volume04.htm

You can read the previous issues at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/review/

Songs from John Henderson
    John sent us in a new song this week and here it is to read here...

Twa Braw Loons
    Lyrics composed by John Henderson on the 25th of March, 2013,
    to Earl Lebieg's 1923 music for the song, 'Sleep', played here by Jim Bottorff.

Glossary:
    twa=two; braw=good-looking; loons=infant boys; goons=gowns;
    happed=wrapped; guid=good; ticht=tight; nicht=night; sic=such;
    sicht=sight; thit=that; aye=always; waarmed=warmed; hert=heart;
    garr'd=caused; seen=soon; stert=start; teen=tune; fow'r-four;
    bricht=bright; een=eyes; sang=sing; ay=yes; luved=loved; bairns=infants;
    ilk=each; fyle=while; licht=light; frae=from; ee=eye; flicher'd=flickered;
    thur=their; vyces=voices; tee=too/also; jyned=joined; alang=along;
    fair=quite; soond=sound; wi'oot=without; mains=moans; gee=stubbornness.

Twa, braw, loons, snug in thur bed-goons,
    Happed-up guid an' ticht fur the nicht .....
    Sic a bonnie-like sicht thit aye waarmed ma hert,
    An' garr'd me seen stert
    Tae hum-oot a teen fur thase fow'r bricht een.

Sang, sang, sang, ay I luved tae sang
    Fur they bairns ilk nicht, fyle the licht ....
    Frae ilk ee flicher'd bricht an' thur vyces tee,
    Jyned alang wi' me
    'Till fair soond they'd be wi'oot mains or gee.

You can read more of John's songs mostly in the Doric language at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerels.htm

Songs Of Scotland, Prior To Burns
    This book is by Robert Chambers who is famous for collecting old Scottish Songs.

Added this week are...

The Auld Man's Mare's Dead
    Cauld Kail in Aberdeen
    The Blythsome Bridal

You can get to this book at the foot of the page at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ers_robert.htm

Forfarshire
    By Easton S. Valentine (1912)

Have added the following chapters this week...

Chapter 8. - The Coast Line
    Chapter 9. - Coastal Gains and Losses. Sandbanks. Lighthouses
    Chapter 10. - Climate and Rainfall
    Chapter 11. - People—Race, Dialect, Population
    Chapter 12. - Agriculture—Main Cultivations, Stock, Woodlands
    Chapter 13. - Industries and Manufactures
    Chapter 14. - Minerals—Quarries

In the section on Agriculture we read...

Eleventh in point of area, Forfarshire occupies the same rank in the percentage of its cultivated land, 44.5 per cent, as against 24.2 for the whole country.

Within the last century and a half much has been done both in the reclamation of arable land and in the improving of such accessories of farming as draining, fencing, the making of service roads, and the erection of commodious buildings and steadings. Along the Braes of Angus and amongst the Sidlaws, extensive reclamation was carried out between 1870 and 1880; and thus the arable percentage of the county was raised from 41.8 to 44.5, an increase that represents something like 1246 acres each year.

Forfarshire is thus one of the four chief Scottish counties in respect of no fewer that seven of the categories under which farming statistics are arranged by the Board of Agriculture: it stands first in two—barley and potatoes; and second in three—wheat, rotation grasses not for hay, and turnips.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rfar/index.htm

The Annals of Scottish Natural History
    Now added Volume 3 1894

You can read this at the foot of the page at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/natu...al_history.htm

I have to say I'm delighted that I have the time to read or at least scan through volumes such as this as you can find wee gems within them and these can also lead to other gems by following up on some of the notes. For example in this volume I found an obituary on A Stephan Wilson whose work was exceptional and through reading that discovered that he had written quite a few poems but also a book on "A Bushel of Corn" of which I obtained a copy and have also made this available on our Nature index page at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/nature

The Blackhalls of that Ilk and Barra
    A publication from the New Spalding Club. Hereditary Coroners and Foresters of the Garioch by Alexander Morison

We now have up the following chapters...

Chapter I. — The Garioch and the Earldom of Mar
    Chapter II. — The Blackhalls of that Ilk and Barra
    Chapter III. — The Blackhalls of that Ilk
    Chapter IV. — The Blackhalls of Barra
    Chapter V. — The Eve of the Forfeiture of the Blackhalls
    Chapter VI. — The Blackhalls, Burgesses of Aberdeen
    Chapter VII. — The Forfeiture of the Blackhalls of Barra
    Chapter VIII. — The Barra Blackhalls of that Ilk
    Chapter IX. — The Mar Action

In chapter VIII we read...

IX. Alexander Blackhall of that Ilk (V. of Barra).

IT is not probable that Alexander Blackhall himself, although declared his cousin’s heir, ever resided at Blackhall, or had actual possession of his property. All the evidence points, as we have seen, to his having been the son or grandson of Robert Blackhall of Fola, burgess of Aberdeen, and the instrument of retour, although illegible in many parts, states that the inquest was made in Aberdeen, and among those sitting upon it, besides some county gentry, there were several burgesses of Aberdeen. It is probable, therefore, that this Alexander Blackhall’s interests were cast in the royal burgh, and that his own future would have been that of a burgess but for the death of his cousin without male issue. Mr. Munro, in his examination of the burial registers of St. Nicholas Church in Aberdeen, found that he died, and was buried in that church in 1593, about three years after he had disposed of his inheritance to Alexander Blackhall of Barra, who must henceforth be regarded as Blackhall of that Ilk. The similarity of the Christian name of these two Blackhalls and their contemporaneous existence has led to some confusion between them, and I am indebted to Mr. Munro for making the situation clear on this point. The correctness of his conclusion is also proved by the terms of the charter of confirmation of 1610, in which the Aberdonian Alexander Blackhall, is referred to as the late Alexander Blackhall of that Ilk, and his decease specifically mentioned.

I think this goes to show why we all need to be very careful when doing our own genealogy.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...ie_update.html

William Hannah
    A significant Scottish Musician.

William was born in Livingston, West Lothian, Scotland in 1891 and reared in Blackburn, West Lothian. He was a prolific recording artist and popular band leader apart from having a major influence on Jimmy Shand. He published a tutor and tune collection for the button accordion around 1925.

You can read this account and listen to some of his music at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ah_william.htm

Beths Newfangled Family Tree
    Got in the April edition, Section A.

We're now back to her usual publication so she's obviously mastering her new software. She hopes to get Section B out next week.

You can read this issue at http://www.electricscotland.com/bnft

Dean of Lismore's Book
    Managed to find a good copy of this book which includes translations of the Gaelic texts.

When the Highland Society of Scotland were engaged in preparing their report on the poems of Ossian, they thought it important to search with all possible diligence after such sources of ancient Gaelic poetry as might have been open to Macpherson, and especially for such written remains as might still be found in the country. Among others they applied to the Highland Society of London, whose secretary at the time, Mr. John Mackenzie, was an enthusiastic Highlander, and an excellent Gaelic scholar. The Society furnished several interesting manuscripts which they had succeeded in collecting, and among these an ancient paper book which has since been called the Book of the Dean of Lismore. This book, which now lies in the library of the Faculty of Advocates, Edinburgh, is a small quarto very much defaced, of about seven inches square, and one inch and a quarter in thickness. It is bound in a piece of coarse sheepskin, and seems to have been much tossed about. The manuscript is written in what may be called phonetic Gaelic, the words being spelled on the same principle as the Welsh and Manx, although the application of the principle is very different. "Athair," fatehr, is "Ayr"; "Saor", free is "Seyr"; "Fhuair", found, is "Hoar"; "leodhas", Lewis, is "Looyss"; "iuchair", a key, is "ewthir"; "gràdh", love, is "Zrau". This principle of phonetic spelling, with a partial admission of the Irish eclipsis and the Irish dot in aspiration, distinguishes the whole manuscript, and has made it very difficult to interpret. The letter used is the English letter of the 15th and 16th centuries, and the MS. was transcribed by the late Mr Ewan M'Lachlan of Aberdeen, an admirable Gaelic scholar. But no attempt was made to transfer its contents into modern Gaelic, or to interpret them, save in the case of a few fragments which were transferred and interpreted by Dr Smith for the Highland Society. Recently, however, the whole manuscript, with few exceptions, has been transcribed, presented in a modern Gaelic dress, translated and annotated, by the writer; and a historical introduction and additional notes have been furnished by Dr W.F. Skene.

The volume is full of interest, as presenting a view of the native literature of the Highlands in the 15th and 16th centuries, while it contains productions of a much earlier age. The fragments which it contains are both Scottish and Irish, showing how familiar the bardic schools were with the production of both countries. Much of the contents consists of fragments of what is usually called Ossianic poetry - compositions by Ossian, by Fergus Filidh his brother, by Conall MacEdirsceoil, by Caoilte M'Ronan, and by poets of a later age, who imitated these ancient bards, such as Allan MacRorie, Gilliecallum Mac an Olla, and others. The collection bears on one of its pages the name "Jacobus M'Gregor decanus Lismorensis," James M'Gregor, Dean of Lismore, and it has been conjectured from this fact and the resemblance of the writing in the signature to that of the body of the manuscript, that this was the compiler of the work. That the manuscript was the work of a M'Gregor is pretty evident. It contains a series of obits of important men, most of them chiefs and other men of note of the clan Gregor, and there are among the poetical pieces of a date later than the Ossianic, numerous songs in praise of that clan. It seems, however, that M'Gregor had a brother called Dougal, who designates himself daoroglach, or "apprentice," who had some share in making the compilation. These M'Gregors belonged to Fortingall in Perthshire, although James held office in the diocese of Argyll. He was vicar of the parish of Fortingall, and it is presumed usually resided there.

The book shows the Gaelic texts but also the translations into English.

You can read a bit more from the Preface and download the book in pdf format at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rat/deanof.htm

History of England and Scottish connections
    Thanks to Paul at the House of Commons for giving me evidence of the 130 Scots that represented English constituencies. I have added a note of this to the page but here it is here...

Dear Alastair

I now understand. The figure comes from p. 328 of R. Thorne The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1790-1820 , volume 1, and can be found on this page of the website:
    http://www.historyofparliamentonline...ey/iii-members

Since the page is rather long, I’ve attached the text below.

The author will simply have been through all of the Members covered in our volumes for 1790-1820 and counted up the Scottish ones.

Scotsmen sitting for non-Scottish seats numbered over 130, noticeably more than the Irish. With 45 seats in Scotland almost monopolized by themselves, the Scots still needed more scope. The eldest sons of Scottish peers, who were not eligible to be created peers of Great Britain until 1782, could not sit for seats in Scotland, and they are among the number. In addition, some Scottish peerage families had English or Welsh interests—notably the Butes. Apart from them, the Campbells, created Lords Cawdor, had Welsh interests. The Johnstone family interest at Weymouth brought in Scots Members; the Dundas interest in Yorkshire introduced members of the family. But, by and large, far more Scots than Irish might properly be termed adventurers: their own country could not support them. Many of them were nabobs—John Agnew, John Alexander Bannerman, Sir George Dallas, Philip Dundas, John Fleming, Charles Forbes, Joseph Hume, Sir John Macpherson, James Paull, Sir William Paxton, John and William Petrie, Patrick Ross, George Simson, James Charles Stuart Strange and Henry Trail come to mind. This was no coincidence: the East India patronage bestowed on his countrymen by Henry Dundas was at work. Apart from dominating Scottish elections, he also occasionally returned Scots for vacant English seats in which he was able to exert ministerial influence, and Scottish Whigs were more or less driven out of their country by him to look for seats elsewhere. Only 23 of all these Members ever sat for Scottish constituencies: the rest crept into every corner of the land for their seats. They were more likely than the Irish to be of mercantile background—London Scottish merchants were often ambitious of a seat in Parliament.

Best wishes

Paul

so you can learn more about the Scots in England at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/england

Excursion to the Orkney Islands
    By Jacob Abbott

I found this to be a charming wee book. It details travelling from the USA to the UK and then an excursion to the Orkney Islands. It actually goes into a fair bit of detail on how to book your sailing, how to arrange currency and lots of other interesting details. This was the time of railways but not yet cars so shows how folk got around in these olden days. I hope you'll enjoy it.

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/kids/orkneyndx.htm

And finally...

Exercise for People over 50

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks.

Then try 50-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each sack.

-----

Old Friends

Two elderly ladies had been friends for many decades. Over the years, they had shared all kinds of activities and adventures. Lately, their activities had been limited to meeting a few times a week to play cards. One day, they were playing cards when one looked at the other and said, "Now don't get mad at me. I know we've been friends for a long time, but I just can't think of your name! I've thought and thought, but I can't remember it. Please tell me what your name is."

Her friend glared at her. For at least three minutes she just stared and glared at her. Finally she said, "How soon do you need to know?"

-----

And that's it for now and hope you all have a great Easter weekend.

Alastair

Re: Newsletter 29th March 2013

Alastair, plain paper packaging for tobacco products was introduced here last year. Personally I don't get what difference that would make. People usually start smoking due to peer influence, not the design of the package. It's quite insulting, I think, that smokers are perceived as being that stupid.
    I'm so glad I gave up.

Elda

Comment

Well I have to admit I get 200 cigarettes in a clear plastic bag and have done so ever since I came to Canada. They sell them on the Indian reservations at a fraction of the price you pay for normal cigarettes.

Alastair

Comment

Undermining the economy...

Comment

Supporting aboriginal economic development!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            Supporting aboriginal economic development!
            True, but still not generating any taxes for the rest of us. We have to pay.
            Sandy
            (I can comment because I am a Canadian even though showing as living in Scotland [which I do some of the year])

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
              Well I have to admit I get 200 cigarettes in a clear plastic bag and have done so ever since I came to Canada. They sell them on the Indian reservations at a fraction of the price you pay for normal cigarettes.

Alastair
              I still thoroughly enjoy rolling a smoke, having a coffee and relaxing in the sun, no peer pressure to start or stop, been enjoying the therapy for about 55 years,
              It's like dark chocolate................."I can feel it doing me good"

Comment

I used to work for Gallahers and then their import division, International Tobacco Sales. We took on a new line of Samson roll your own tobacco, a Dutch tobacco and as part of our introduction to it we all got issued with roll your own machines. Quite a sophisticated we machine and it came in a flat case kind of like a cigarette case where you could also add your own filters if you wished.

Alastair

Comment

Even rolling your own is expensive here Alastair. The tax is charged on the weight of the tobacco, you see. Doesn't matter if it's in a cigarette or loose.

Elda

Comment

Working...
                  X