Deer v Dog v Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer v Dog v Man

Had the dog out for her walk this morning. As usual let her loose in the park. She did spook some deer and I could see her chasing them through the trees.
    Was not prepared for the next bit. I could hear her barking and then the next thing I heard was a deer 'coughing'. She had managed to catch one...
    I took off into the woods, through deep snow and eventually found the two of them. Brynn had the deer by one ear and was dragging it to the ground. It was not a full grown deer, they are bigger than Roe deer, and was big enough...
    I got between them and managed to get the dog off. Before I could get the lead on her she was off after it again. Second round, got them apart. But still not able to get the lead on and off she went again. This time had to throw myself flat out on the ground to get to them. The deer was in shock, no surprise. I managed to get the lead on and eventually dragged the dog away. Th e deer recovered and took off. We just lay in the snow and slowly recovered ourselves. Needless to say I won't be letting dog off the lead again...
    Home, knackered and time for a coffee...
    Tried to upload a picture of the dog, but it seems it is too large. She IS a big dog~~

Only one more week out here in the Western Prairies, where Spring may actually be planning to make an appearance.
    Back to Ontario next week, then up to Yellowknife in the NWT before heading back to Scotland at the start of May. I am laying bets that by the time I get back to UK it will be WET and cold. I missed the good weather last year and see no reason why this year should be different~~!!!

Re: Deer v Dog v Man

Did that really happen? I thought your dog was in Scotland. You get fined here if you let your dog off the leash in anything but a special area set aside for them. They are only allowed on certain beaches too.

Elda

Comment

Re: Deer v Dog v Man

Hi Elda,
      I am out in the western prairies just now. This is "countryside" and dogs do not need to be on a leash.
      Our wee dog in Scotland died last October, he had cancer. He spent most of his time in Scotland off the leash and had more freedom than he ever did in our part of Canada. They have "leash free" parks there and I would never take him near one. Too many cases of flees and fights in those places. I did walk him off the leash in quiet areas. He was more obedient off leash.
      And yes it really did happen. I don't walk her in that area any more. Like most dogs, she closes her ears when she is chasing something.
      As to the deer, it may have been a bit traumatised but maybe learned from the event. It may need to with the coyotes that are around here and have no-one calling them off...
      Sandy

Comment

Working...
      X