Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearable technology: The bra designed to shock attackers

Saw this on the BBC news... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22110443

"The Delhi gang rape was the trigger. But also the numbness of women - and law-makers against this social menace. It was high time we women needed a change."

Manisha Mohan is an aeronautical engineering student at SRM University in the Indian city of Chennai. She is also a young woman in a country that was thrown into chaos following the brutal gang rape of a 23-year-old student in Delhi in December, 2012.

Together with fellow students Niladhri Basu Bal and Rimpi Tripathi, she decided to use her technical skills to try and do something to help protect women like her.

After talking to women living in hostels about their experiences of harassment - called Eve-teasing in India - they developed a bra designed to deliver a 3800kv electric shock to any would-be rapist.

The SHE (Society Harnessing Equipment) can also send a text message to a relative or friend and the local police station, with the GPS coordinates of the victim's location, says Ms Mohan.

The bra is fitted with a pressure sensor connected to an electric circuit. So how can the wearer be sure they won't be on the receiving end of a hefty electric jolt?

The team collect a Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Award for the lingerie
    "Firstly, the system is placed in a bi-layer fabric, which ensures insulation to the victim," says Ms Mohan.

"Also the pressure values for squeeze, pinch and grab have been calibrated. The force applied on hugging does not satisfy the conditions for actuation of the device, and there is also a self-actuation switch where a woman can actuate it by herself when in unsafe environment."

Alastair

Re: Wearable technology: The bra designed to shock attackers

Bras are getting more news today...

Research suggests bras do no good...

Bras do nothing to help support a woman’s breasts and could even be doing damage, research has found.

For years, women have been taught of the virtues of a good bra in order to make the most of their assets and defy the pull of gravity.

Now a French study has claimed that in fact breasts gain no benefit from underwear support, and that women would do better to go without.

Professor Jean-Denis Rouillon of Besançon University spent 15 years studying the anatomy of 330 women, before coming to the radical conclusion that bras are a “false necessity”.

Professor Rouillon said: “Medically, physiologically, anatomically – breasts gain no benefit from being denied gravity.”

The study found that breasts were firmer and sagged less in the women who did not wear a bra, and such women were no more likely than others to suffer from back pain.

The sports scientist, who has been researching the subject since 1997, using a slide rule and a caliper, found a 7mm difference in the height of bosoms, with those who went without a bra faring best against gravity.

Prof Rouillon suggested that breasts become “dependent” on lingerie support once women start wearing it, meaning that supporting muscle is under-used, and degrades more quickly.

He said his initial results “validated the hypothesis that the bra is a false ‘necessity'” but that he would not advise women who have relied on bras for years to cast them aside.

Some of the women who took part in the experiment, carried out at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire (University Hospital) in Besançon, said stopping wearing a bra had even helped ease back pains.

British research on post-menopausal women has previously suggested that those who wear a bra are more likely to suffer breast pain.

Alastair

Comment

Now, Alastair, are you trying to prove the veracity of my teasing you on another post with your choice of subject matter again? :sly:

Comment

Well i'll support the French study...and support the women who want no support..:shocked:
        Euan..

Comment

I just have to scan the news out there to find stories for my own ScotNews feed so of course come across some interesting stories some of which are of course nothing to do with Scotland but of course useful to tell you about in here <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Keep it up Al..I like to keep abreast of things...
            Euan..

Comment

Kudos for your diplomacy, Alastair! Still find it quite interesting what catches your eye and, like Euan, you certainly keep abreast of things! :sly:

Comment

Actually I am personally shocked at how badly treated women are in India as it seems rape is an every day occurrence there. And even just the other day a 5 year old girl was raped. That's just terrible so when I saw the news article about that bra I thought good for them for developing that and just wanted to ensure folk knew of it.

Mind you what I think is equally bad is the fact that the police won't take any action and in the rare case when they do the person usually gets away with it.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, there is a lot of corruption in countries like India and eastwards. Indonesia has a very bad reputation too. This is one reason I would never holiday in Bali which is a popular destination for lots of Australians, particularly the young crowd.

Elda

Comment

Working...
                  X