Extremely Wet Spring!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely Wet Spring!!

I have been making a grand attempt to plant my three 4 X 8 ft garden beds, but so far, have only been able to clean them up. The first one I actually spaded last week, but this left it in clods. The other two I just hoed them harshly (ha) & they're easier to work with. But still haven't sowed any seeds, as we've had an extremely rainy spring to now. (Actually expecting major storms even tonight, & it's rained much more than usual this past week.) If it stays away, might get to it tomorrow or Monday. Have done a good bit of spraying poison (weed killer) on the poison ivy (which is growing nicely & lushly) in my woods. But did go out there today, finding even more that I missed. One excellent product of all the spading & hoeing was finding gobs of worms, including many nightcrawlers. I use old tea leaves & coffee grounds as a compost...put into the ground all winter, etc. Used newspapers as a mulch to keep the weeds from growing over fall/winter. Did pretty good job. And those worms loved the newspaper mulch! Just an update on gardening. Let's hear from Lizzie & those others who love gardens. (that's me in my hat, shooting poison ivy with sprayer!! Joan

PS: This is also plus cutting grass on most/some of my 2 acres...with gas powered walking mower!!

Re: Extremely Wet Spring!!

We actually have had a little moisture in Wyoming over the course of spring. Snow in March and April and spotty rains in May. We had hail Tuesday, May 28 that shredded my Ponderosa, Burr Oak, Red Maple, Catalpa and Hackberry seedlings that I was hardening off before transplanting. Despite the moisture, the ground remains dry deeper than 5" from the surface. The bands of moisture are beginning to separate to the South and North. I suspect Wyoming will be high and dry during the majority of our short growing season.

Comment

Actually forced myself out today, & got the first bed all planted with swiss chard & beets. Had already had elephant garlic growing from last fall's planting, only about 6 of them. Cleaned up some weeds, & made plans on where to plant the beans, kale, & catnip (nepeta). That's an experiment for my cats. (they don't know about it!) Only one of them really likes the dried up catnip that comes with their scratching posts, etc. Have some perennial parsley also growing from last year. So, we'll see about that. I've also got some perennial flowers, black-eyed susans, & yarrow (reddish) growing in one bed. Will cram in more seeds soonish. Let me know what else in "our" gardens is going on?! Joan :shamrock:

Comment

Hi Joan and All:

I have not been around much lately as I've been 'greatly occupied' in the garden. Started early in April repairing the fence Mama Bear and cubs demolished. Went from half inch horizontal straps to 2 x 3's and rebuilt with last little stretch to complete (pic). Since the varmints can climb doubt if it will deter but hope springs . . . I started off several years ago with an 8 x 24 bed and am now just short of 700 square feet of growing area. My neighbors tease I should start a roadside stand. But it gives me pleasure to extend invitations to pick - I am blessed with an enclave of delightful people around me, and it sometimes becomes a party. As you can see by the pic. the crop is sprouting and I have quite a selection. I check the pumpkin plants each morning urging them to grow:laugh2:. I promised my six year old granddaughter a pumpkin for Halloween. She is quite the pistol. Last time she visited she challenged me to a race. And, race her I did with arms pumping, and the legs desperately trying to maintain the same speed much to my astonishment that I could still move so fast. Why this great effort on my part? It brought back a wonderful memory of my challenge at the same age, "Race me, Dad" and the giggling and laughing at the long legs striding alongside me. I hope it will be a similar memory for her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden Fence 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	23575Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden beds.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	23574

Comment

Hi Lizzie, what a good job you made on the fence repair, yet another job you can advertise to carry out !!

You certainly will have some gorgeous flower beds, soon to come out in full flower.

Talk about a wet spring, the park near our house used to have grass, on which some practised their golf. The council decided not to cut the grass, and let it return to nature.

Now adjacent houses have their back gardens flooded, and I attach a photo showing just why the water left the park for gardens.

Sorry after two attempts, (last one 20 minutes) the fie of 354KB failed to upload.

Regards

Ranald

Comment

Hi Ranald:

Having a wet Spring here too! As far as my building skills are concerned my middle name is Jack!! But, I do boast about plumbing in my electric furnace. Even took a pic of my effort to the plumbing store that supplied the unit and they put it on their bulletin board inscribed - a woman did this!

Just have a small area and some pots for flowers. All the beds are planted with a variety of vegetables. It is very nice to pick fresh unpolluted veggies from your own garden. I do not use pesticides but do have about a dozen beer traps for the slugs. Amazing how many take the dive to drown in the beer - what a way to go!!!

Comment

I have now reduced the photo file to 334.7KB, so will see if it now uploads.

Go back to prior message for comment on the photo.

Sorry, after 10 minutes, the file was still not up loaded.... I give up.

Ranald

Comment

I was having the same problem with loading enigma machine puzzles at one time, but I forget what solved it. Bounce it off Alastair and he might have some answers. I may have had to reset my router.
                I am having a problem with reading the second posting in every thread. It doesn't matter where I start, the second posting is all scrunched up on the right side of the page. It is like a second column that is 1 letter wide and it happens every time. Good luck with the posting.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Hey Everyone,
                  Well I am definitely not a gardener, however, we have also had a pretty wet season. I am so excited as we have been in a draught for so long, our trees were being affected. Now they look so nice. But it is hot and today is the last chance for rain for several weeks. Oh well. Lizzie, isn't it wonderful how the little ones can get you feeling "young"? Haha I am sure she will remember you racing her all her life just like you remembered. Glad to see y'all are doing good.

Comment

Hi Ranald:

You sound so frustrated! Anyway, as you came to my rescue in the past when I could not upload, as you have my address you might want to route through me and I will try. I would like to see what the bureaucrats have done to flood the backyards.

Best, Liz.

Comment

HI, all... As we've all been having probs with the website, I just yesterday was able to get online here. All my garden is planted, but as stated previously, we're having sooo much rain, which is drenching down. The tiny little plants get washed somewhat. I keep thinking they'll be flooded out permanently. The catnip is a perennial, but I do believe I have a couple of teeny plants coming along. My black-eyed susan will pop out with flowers soon. My pink/coral yarrow has been beautiful. The beans are getting secondary leaves. When one goes out to do a bit of weeding, one gets attacked by giant mosquitoes...likely because there's lots of water...in ditches, & soaked into ground. Did another poison ivy spraying, used so far approx. 6 gallons (of course concentrate mixed w/ H2O. The other day I tried to trim laden limbs of mulberry tree, of course, while standing underneath, reaching up, & was pelted with black mulberries. Have fed hordes of varied birds & squirrels, too, with the mulberries. Not real pleasant on the car, though! You all take care. Joan

Comment

Thought I'd give a bit of a report in re: my garden. Just picked probably about 4#'s (or more) of both green italian beans, & the yellow wax beans. Believe it or not, but there's a story here! I have some "outside" cats, one of which is Silk, about 1 yr old. Silk decided to hide (hang out) amongst my beans out in the garden, & I am not having the rabbits eating them now. He's done a bit of damage by lying down on some, but not one rabbit has touched them. His mother cat had 5 kittens on 7/4. She's moved them about 4 times, so I don't know where they are. It's obvious that I have no difficulties in raising cats!! They are quite pleasant, & often accompany me on my perambulations about the two acres!! In regard to the above beans, I had them soaking in cold water in the sink, yellow on left, green Italian beans on right. I went back out to sit for a while, thinking about how I'll store them till tomorrow, to then freeze them. When I came back in, found several of the Ital. beans out of the water, on the floor...being used as playthings, with bite marks on them. I advised my cats inside, that the green beans weren't to be played with. Of course this was done calmly, with no yelling on my part!! Ha!

Comment

Working...
                        X