My current view on Scottish Independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My current view on Scottish Independence

Over the past two weeks I have been reading and reading loads of papers on Scottish Independence.

Some of these papers were very technical but none the less I did my best to understand their points of view and have done my best to double check some of their sources.

My understanding to date is that there are two key points that would make a real difference and that is to do with membership of the EU and our currency.

Right now the UK is London biased and thus the regions of the rUK are not being well served. The UK on the whole is performing worse that many other European countries. It has a poor industrial sector and that means our exports are much poorer than many other countries.

To try and understand the issues I would recommend reading the paper which discusses our currency and industrial performance at http://www.cuthbert1.pwp.blueyonder....y%20310513.doc

The other factor is to do with the EU. From everything I've read being a member of the EU is definitely not in Scotland's best interest. By being a member would mean we'd have to give up some of our independence and thus swap control from Westminster to Brussels and so instead of representing 10% of the population with Westminster we'd only be representing 1% of the population in Brussels. We would have less say on the world stage in the EU than if we instead joined EFTA and the EEA.

Read the paper at http://www.electricscotland.com/inde...ndinEurope.pdf

To me this all means that with the SNP deciding to go for membership of the EU and to go with Sterling as our currency then in my mind we'd be better of saying NO in the referendum as it's pretty obvious to me that they simply don't understand the issues and are thus not fit to lead an independent Scotland.

To me the SNP has done a good job domestically in Scotland but to be a successful country we need to engage in International affairs and that is a major weakness for them.

You could gamble that if Scotland voted YES then the SNP will quickly be voted out of power and that our domestic political system would change to reflect the need for the country to go down a different path than the one the SNP has laid out for us.

You could also argue that if we don't vote YES then it is likely to be a whole generation before we get the opportunity again.

Frankly the decision to vote either YES or NO is fraught with problems and it is by no means a simple decision.

I also think that comparatively few Scots are going to go to the trouble of trying to understand these issues.

Alastair

Re: My current view on Scottish Independence

Thanks Alastair for putting the information on this complicated issue in an easily accessible place! Having lived with Quebec independence issues for many years, I am convinced there are few lessons to be learned from Canada due to the quite different historical backgrounds, as well as the aboriginal reality in Quebec. So, coming at the Scotland question with a clear slate, it seems that the EU issue should be paramount, i.e. joining the Eurozone would be fatal to Scotland's future unless there is a real strong interest in bleeding the country dry to bail out small former fascist countries and their friends in Goldman Sachs. On the other hand, David Cameron's recent ghastly attempt to enlist Robert Burns' "To a Mouse" in support of continued unification might alone be good enough reasons to pull the plug! It promises to be an interesting year, 'tho I'm sure you're quite right that most will not take the time and trouble to make a really informed decision. Canada and Scotland have that in common!

Comment

I think that's what I am most concerned about Rick is people not bothering to research the issues. Right now I think it's a bit of a gamble voting YES as the SNP clearly don't know what they are talking about and so with the YES vote you need to gamble that the people will see them for what they are and vote NO to an EU referendum. However that is quite a gamble.

Alastair

Comment

Unfortunately Alastair it's been my experience that the majority of people do not research anything before making up their minds in a purely emotional manner. The vast majority believe what they read in newspapers and hear on TV. It doesn't occur to them that they are reading only the writers opinion and/or interpretation, not actual facts.
        The internet doesn't help much either with loads of rubbish being emailed which people actually believe. I've seen it among my own friends and family forwarding emails which claim to be true but are just spam.

Elda

Comment

I agree Elda... I'm just hoping that Scots will realise this is a serious matter that will affect them for generations and thus try and learn something about the issues.

I'm using my Scots Independence section to provide decent reading material and then toping that up with stories in the Scots News Feed. I really don't want to put up too much information in the Scots Independent section as I doubt most people will take the time to read it all.

Alastair

Comment

From what I can gather here, most people are really fed up with the whole thing. Disbelief in all and any politicians is high, no nned to guess why.
            I suspect that apathy will be a big issue come the referendum and that will NOT be a good thing.
            Sandy

Comment

I'm really engaged personally as I want to try and document this for the site. That however means I try to read most of the articles coming out and cutting through the hype is not easy.

A of it is just covering the same old ground so am being very selective on posting anything new into the Independence section.

Alastair

Comment

I am in Iceland right now and despite the recent financial meltdown here there does not seem to be any hardship.
                They are really pushing tourism and there are tourists everywhere (including my son and I).
                However prices are through the roof. They are a pretty independent lot but are extremely friendly. Currently they are not in the EU but I believe there is a plan to join. I think they will notice a huge difference if that does come about.
                They of course have already dealt with the 'independence' issue many years but I am not sure their link was a strong as the UK links.
                Sandy

Comment

I think Iceland have given up on the EU. They are in EFTA and as fishing is their main industry being a member of the EU would not be a good move for them.

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                    In Iceland fishing is their main industry being a member of the EU would not be a good move for them.

Alastair
                    I agree.
                    Sandy

Comment

BTW Did you know that all people in Iceland have submitted a sample of their DNA and as a result they found that 65% of the Icelandic women can be traced back to Scotland?

Alastair

Comment

They must all be very good looking and smart Alastair :laugh2::laugh2:

Elda

Comment

I did not know that. But I was talking to a woman who has a stall in the Reykjavik flea market and she had been a tour guide in Scotland!!

On the 'relationship' subject, all native Icelanders can trace their roots back to the original settlers. This has allowed someone to created an "app" that people can use to determine how closely related they are to anyone else. Stops "close" family relatives from 'going too far'~~~!!!

Comment

Interesting post. From another perspective from a business viewpoint you should take a look at this site - called Working for Scotland, http://workingforscotland.org/ which highlights the business implications of Scottish independence. It is a pro-union site, but the information is balanced. Take a look.

Comment

It's still my opinion that organisations like this still don't understand the value of being in EFTA/EEA instead of the EU. See http://www.electricscotland.com/inde...ndineurope.htm

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                              X