Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McNeil/Macdonald of Barra, Jura under Macdonald of Glencoe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McNeil/Macdonald of Barra, Jura under Macdonald of Glencoe

Hey,

I wanted to read this while I got some peace and quiet. You gotta be the same woman I met at the museum cause I see your Ocheltree lady up there. All I can read here is you DNA matches the McNeil's of Barra. I used this nifty litte search thingy at the bottom and wanted to ask someone from here, does this mean there were two McNeil families?

http://www.electricscotland.com/webc.../macneil2.html

I am not real bright about Scottish Clans but pretty sure this article says there were two different McNeil families. The Giga branch went into the Campbells.

Electric Scotland has so much to look at! We have a farm just across the Texas Border in Oklahoma. I will try to read as much of this as I can.

247 Mini Golf Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The first line of the History says...

The Macneills consisted of two independent branches, the Macneills of Barra and the Macneills of Gigha, said to be descended from brothers.

http://www.electricscotland.com/webc.../macneil2.html

When searching for information you should also check for alternative spellings such as MacNeil, McNeil, M'Neil and also MacNeill, McNeill. Also in the Irish O'Neil.

We also record septs of the clan as...

Septs of the Clan: More than 1000 different spellings of the family name are recognized: Macneil, MacNeil, Macniel, MacNiel, Macneill, MacNeill, Macneal, MacNeal, Macneale, MacNeale, MacNeilage, Macneilage, MacNelly, Macnelly, MacNeally, Macneally, Mcneil, McNeil, Mcniel, McNiel, Mcneill, McNeill, Mcneal, McNeal, Mcneale, McNeale, McNeilage, Mcneilage, McNelly, Mcnelly, McNeally and Mcneally; also: Neil, Neal, Neale, Neill, Niel, O'Neal, O'Neil, O'Niel, Nelson, Neilson and Nielson and variants of these. Other family names recognized as loyal to the proud traditions held by our Chief include: MacGougan, Macgougan, MacGrail, Macgrail, MacGugan, Macgugan, MacGuigan, Macguigan, McGougan, Mcgougan, McGrail, Mcgrail, McGugan, Macgugan, McGuigan, and Mcguigan.

I guess that will keep you busy for a while Vivienne <grin>

Alastair

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Alastair,

Thanks for this above and yah right, it will take up my time but I got most of the chores caught up so will look while the 'better' half is working. I do have to ask,

I see mcNelly in your list, I thought that was a female name. It is interesting where names come from!

247 Mini Golf Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wasn't actually aware any surname was either male of female. That's a new one for me Vivienne.

Alastair

Post Thanks / Like

I am having that same trouble. Ochiltree is the way our branch spells it...Now that I search deeper, there are:: Ocheltrees, Uchiltres, Ochtred, Orcheted...Just once, I would love to hear the voice of a Scot emigrant to America to see if I could decipher the language !!
    Thanks.
    Lu.

Post Thanks / Like

Lu, it would depend from which part of Scotland, as each area has it's own dialect.

I am sure that on electircscotland, Alastair has the Doric (north east area) spoken, and I have great difficulty in understanding the spoken word.

Here is a link, to a VERY long but worth while read about Doric, here on es

http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doric.htm

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 22nd April 2011 at 16:59. Reason: added a link

7. Thanks LuRose Williams thanked for this post.
    Like Kelly d liked this post.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Relationship between MacNeils of Barra, Buies of Jura, MacDonalds and MacLeods

To see recent DNA research into the relationship between the MacNeils of Barra, the Buies of Jura, some MacDonalds and the Clan MacLeod visit the R-L165 Project at Family Tree DNA.
    http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults

9. Like Kelly d liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Relationship between MacNeils of Barra, Buies of Jura, MacDonalds and MacLeods

Hello Alasdair MacD!

Welcome to Electric Scotland! I have just seen this posting. You are doing a terrific job with the Family Tree DNA projects! Thanks so very much for doing this for all of us who know absolutely nothing about DNA!
    kellyd

Post Thanks / Like

This is an update..

The male DNA matches two perfectly. They are the original McNeill, Stewart who settled in Canada. Now finding records where and why there is a complete different Surname from either one of these. The DNA does still match the Darnley Stuarts and Appin Stewarts. Oh, this is a nightmare.
    kellyd

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently recieved changes from FTNDA...Our DNA has been changed to L165...which shows the Viking signature. Our Haplogroup has changed also..And the Black Subgroup has been changed to Olive Subgroup. I will know the exact near September 24 when the lab completes the SNP reading..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information