McNeil/Macdonald of Barra, Jura under Macdonald of Glencoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNeil/Macdonald of Barra, Jura under Macdonald of Glencoe

This is for Williams of the flatlands West Virginia. John Williams Sr is the original ancestor came to the colonies in 1747 ca. We descend from Abraham Williams and Frankie Ochiltree.

This is the Y-DNA DYS Values based on FamilyDNA.com
    (male)
    PANEL 1 (1-12)
    Locus 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    DYS# 393 390 19* 391 385a 385b 426 388 439 389-1 392 389-2
    Alleles 12 25 15 10 11 13 12 12 13 12 13 28

PANEL 2 (13-25)
    Locus 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    DYS# 458 459a 459b 455 454 447 437 448 449 464a** 464b** 464c** 464d**
    Alleles 18 9 10 11 11 24 15 20 31 14 15 16 17

*Also known as DYS 394

This matches with the McNeils, Macdonalds and Buies of the Isles.

mtDNA
    (female)
    Haplogroup - U2
    16051G 16129C 16181G 16182C 16183C 16189C 16260T 16356C 16362C 16519C

This code of DNA matches a Coville woman from 350 years ago but goes back to original Irish DNA. This also matches an indian maiden from the NW of Washington and Canada called Morning Dove. Her father was a Coville.

We are listed under the MacDonald groups as the Black Group and our Group Manager is Alasdair MacDonald of Edinburgh.
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: McNeil/Macdonald of Barra, Jura under Macdonald of Glencoe

I am convinced this ancestor came from Britain with the group that worked for the Hudson Bay Company..AS I read the history of the company I find many names from Scotland of which we are related. The Native woman was indegenous to the NW Territory as stated but her grandfather was explicitly stated as a chief of the Indian tribe which was later recognized by the Interior department as one of the seven recognized tribes of US...to enjoy all the benefits of the five tribes that settled in the midwest...All of the ladies (4) that match my MtDNA are tied to the Colville Reservation.

Comment

The above DNA goes back 15,000 years on the male and 50,000 years on the female.

Comment

We have been posthumusly((spell) adopted by the MacNeil of the Isles...

Comment

What does that mean? Mama, your £5 word and one sentence! Thanks alot.

Comment

That may not be a 7.50$ sentence but only a 3$ one !!! Just remember, I have always taught you to walk softly and carry a big stick....So whomever is treading on you, Beware....

Comment

For Donald G please,

We received this update email from Family Tree DNA. I went in to look and found McNeill** at the top of the match list but I cannot access his kit.

A Y-DNA12 match has been found between kit 162876, Williams, and another person(s) in the Family Tree DNA database.
              Our help pages have the answers to questions about Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) matches.
              http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers/9.aspx
              Follow the link below to access your myFTDNA account.
              Your Kit Number is 162876

Donald, this is the first alert in a year and a half, maybe some good news?

Hope you can help!

Thanks!

Comment

I checked out your Familytree DNA,you have many matches in there all of them listed are a match off by 1 marker,you are Barra but close to Dalriadic Scot R1b,if you upgrade your kit to a 37 or 67 deep clade you would have way more success with finding deeper matches and it will confirm your haplogroup and may also put you in a new heading altogether.

your best match would be the kit with 25 in brackets,to get more info on a kit you have to email the person if you see a email beside there name,plus you can also see if they have a gedcom listed to the right of there email,the second person in your matches has a gedcom and it might help you for you may share a ancestor if they are in his tree and also yours.
                Last edited by Slichk_o_dine; 16 February 2011, 11:13.
                Stand Fast Craigellachie

Comment

Thanks I will get a hold of Mother and sort this out. I agree, it is time to dig deeper! Thanks again!

Comment

Update,

Mother was contacted by a Stuart who has direct linage to the Darnley and Lennox Stuarts, he says my grandfather's Ydna matches his perfectly. Our kit was moved into the Royal Stuart project claiming Grandaddy's DNA matches Charles I. I am at wits end trying to understand how this can be. All of these Stewart/Stuarts are now coming out of the woodwork down my mother's side. This is quite overwhelming at times!

Comment

Hey,

I wanted to read this while I got some peace and quiet. You gotta be the same woman I met at the museum cause I see your Ocheltree lady up there. All I can read here is you DNA matches the McNeil's of Barra. I used this nifty litte search thingy at the bottom and wanted to ask someone from here, does this mean there were two McNeil families?

http://www.electricscotland.com/webc.../macneil2.html

I am not real bright about Scottish Clans but pretty sure this article says there were two different McNeil families. The Giga branch went into the Campbells.

Electric Scotland has so much to look at! We have a farm just across the Texas Border in Oklahoma. I will try to read as much of this as I can.

Comment

The first line of the History says...

The Macneills consisted of two independent branches, the Macneills of Barra and the Macneills of Gigha, said to be descended from brothers.

http://www.electricscotland.com/webc.../macneil2.html

When searching for information you should also check for alternative spellings such as MacNeil, McNeil, M'Neil and also MacNeill, McNeill. Also in the Irish O'Neil.

We also record septs of the clan as...

Septs of the Clan: More than 1000 different spellings of the family name are recognized: Macneil, MacNeil, Macniel, MacNiel, Macneill, MacNeill, Macneal, MacNeal, Macneale, MacNeale, MacNeilage, Macneilage, MacNelly, Macnelly, MacNeally, Macneally, Mcneil, McNeil, Mcniel, McNiel, Mcneill, McNeill, Mcneal, McNeal, Mcneale, McNeale, McNeilage, Mcneilage, McNelly, Mcnelly, McNeally and Mcneally; also: Neil, Neal, Neale, Neill, Niel, O'Neal, O'Neil, O'Niel, Nelson, Neilson and Nielson and variants of these. Other family names recognized as loyal to the proud traditions held by our Chief include: MacGougan, Macgougan, MacGrail, Macgrail, MacGugan, Macgugan, MacGuigan, Macguigan, McGougan, Mcgougan, McGrail, Mcgrail, McGugan, Macgugan, McGuigan, and Mcguigan.

I guess that will keep you busy for a while Vivienne <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Hey Alastair,

Thanks for this above and yah right, it will take up my time but I got most of the chores caught up so will look while the 'better' half is working. I do have to ask,

I see mcNelly in your list, I thought that was a female name. It is interesting where names come from!

Comment

I wasn't actually aware any surname was either male of female. That's a new one for me Vivienne.

Alastair

Comment

I am having that same trouble. Ochiltree is the way our branch spells it...Now that I search deeper, there are:: Ocheltrees, Uchiltres, Ochtred, Orcheted...Just once, I would love to hear the voice of a Scot emigrant to America to see if I could decipher the language !!
                              Thanks.
                              Lu.

Comment

Working...
                              X