Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ES Is Back!!

Hey Everyone,
    I know this sounds so sappy, but I am so excited we are all back online. I really miss this site and all the posts and I check it everyday. So come on every body...talk!!!!!

Re: ES Is Back!!

Yes indeed we are back. However tonight we will still be doing a few wee things just to complete our return. Like we need to bring back out logo and get rid of the blogs and we need to get our picture gallery back. But not much to do so shouldn't take long.

Alastair

Comment

I agree with Dianne, it's a great relief to have ES back online. Thanks for all the hard work Alastair!

Comment

Agree with Diane and Rick, but would add a thank you to Steve.

Comment

I am very happy to see the forums up and running. It has become an established part of my morning routine to spend time at ES. Two Fridays without the newsletter was enough.

Comment

Just talked to Steve and he tells me the tool we ran that ended up fixing the problems is still running... that's over 24 hours now and looks like it's still got several more hours to go.

The bits that still need to be dealt with are:

Add back in our logo
            Redirect our current home page to the Forums home page
            Remove the Blogs from the menu
            Add the Gallery back to the menu

All the other mods we added should be working as normal unless of course you know otherwise.

The problem at the end of the day was simply that we didn't clear our temp folder and and hadn't done so for over a year. We apparently reached a limit on the number of files it could hold and the clue to that was we started running a lot slower and then finally started to get those errors. And so the Facebook errors were actually a red herring and got us chasing down the wrong path.

The product we used was CCleaner and to be frank the last time we had a situation like we've just gone through that product fixed the problem that time and we simply forgot about that this time around. We've now purchased the professional version which we can now automate to run each Saturday around 3am in the morning which is our quietest time of the week.

And so both times we've had such a major problem is down to not clearing the temp folder so that now won't happen again.

Sorry for all the time it took us to find the problem and fix it and thanks for your patience.

We thought we might reward you by upgrading from our current version 4 to the new version 5 but as I looked through the support forums all I could see were messages about problems and lack of functionality so we'll be holding off on that until we're confident it's worth doing.

Alastair

Comment

That is really interesting, thanks for the explanation. The technical skills are marvelous, so I'll join Ranald in extending the thanks to Steve too!

Comment

The funny thing is that if we had just restored the community it wouldn't have fixed the problem as that temp folder would still have been full.

Alastair

Comment

Evidently, I am "Joanie-come-lately" in regard to this being able to get onto "our" site. Thanks to Alastair & Steve, & sooooo glad that we're finally back up again. Although I've been busy going to the Doc & also getting MRI of shoulder, now I will be able to get on here every day. Just have physical therapy to do yet. Thanks again for all you guys do. Joan

Comment

Good to see ES back up again
                    When running under Windows it is always a good idea to clean up on a regular basis...

Comment

All these "goings on" in my absence, My computer has been more Off than On for the last few weeks so I was not aware of all the "Happenings" .
                      good to see all is rectified, everyone will now be able to reduce their "Stress Medication" now that ES [the Ultimate Internet site] is full throttle once more.

Cheers and best wishes to all on ES.

Gordon.

Comment

To my knowledge there is just one problem still outstanding and that is to do with our Gallery. While it's now back some of the albums have vanished. For example Stan Bruce posted up a huge collection of great pictures of Edinburgh but we can't find them.

Sorry to hear of your computer woes.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                        X