Egypt & Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt & Iran

Quite some situation in Egypt at the moment. It just seems to me that the muslims are somewhat intolerant to other religions right across the middle east and thus all the issues we're seeing.

Two weeks after his sensational victory Iran's president-elect, Hassan Rouhani, has expressed relatively progressive views about civil liberties, freedom of expression and the internet. That's encouraging. I'm told he speaks some seven languages and when he speaks in English he has a Scottish accent having studied at Caledonian University in Glasgow.

So on one hand potential major problems in Egypt but a bit of encouraging news from Iran.

Alastair

Re: Egypt & Iran

I wouldn't be too worried about Egypt at this point. The military removed the current President due to a lack of follow through on putting together a representative government and getting essential public services restored. The Egyptians I have met in my travels have been a cosmopolitan group. If any of the middle eastern peoples can find a way to balance the secular with the spiritual to maintain a stable society, I would be surprised if the Egyptians didn't figure out how to do so.

As an aside I think that middle eastern democracies will not be modeled on European and North American democracies, they will have to create versions that reflect their culture and traditions.

Comment

Actually that was why I was interested in the SDA think tank papers as they had a new vision on how a country could be run. I do think the West needs some new way to govern to get people re-engaged in the political process.

Alastair

Comment

I have met people from various middle eastern countries here in Australia and I must comment that those from Egypt have been the most cosmopolitan and best educated.

Elda

Comment

I was just hearing on the BBC that this first year of the Muslim Brotherhood have some how managed to wreck the country. They had 33 billion in foreign assets but that is now down to 13 billion. Tourism is down 14%. Unemployment is now around 14%. They have fuel shortages. And of course they produced a new constitution which was all about increasing islamic authority in the country and so have ignored a very large percentage of their people.

Alastair

Comment

Despite all this they were voted in following a democratic process and I am betting that when there are new elections the Muslim Brotherhood will win again. And then what...?
            Sandy

Comment

Not sure about that Sandy... I have heard some folk say they were disenchanted with him due to higher unemployment and fuel shortages.

Alastair

Comment

Clearly many people did not like his government or he would still be in power. I just suspect that when the votes are counted his supporters are VERY motivated.
                As to Iran becoming more friendly to the "West" I doubt it. The "supreme leader" is an old school Shia Imam...

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                X