Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Alerts

Hey All,
    Not sure the best place to post this, but since it is regarding your health I thought to put it here. There have been many days that we get a pollution alert. They say even though it is nice out, don't stay outside long as the pollution is very bad. And if you have any health problems you should stay inside!!! The worst part is that it seems that everyone accepts this without comment. No one is outraged about the quality of the air we breathe. Huh. Just wondering if anyone else gets these types of warnings or just here!!

Re: Weather Alerts

I think in Canada we get pollon levels but not pollution levels. Mind you China's capital is really bad for pollution as Singapore is also having a bad time due to farmers burning the forest in Indonesia.

Alastair

Comment

We used to get them here but not for years now. It seems that a lot of pollution has been cleaned up here in Oz. They say that Sydney Harbour is almost totally pollution free now and we are getting lots of the migrating whales and sharks visiting.
      I think it's happening around the world now as people become aware of the environment. A couple of years ago I was on a ferry from Rothesay passing through the Firth of Clyde and we saw dolphins. Couldn't believe it. I'd never heard of dolphins being there before.

Elda

Comment

We get Pollen warnings. Long time since we had the smoke and fog. Even salmon coming up the River Kelvin, never mind the Clyde...

Sandy

Comment

The air is so good in Oz the Government has put a tax on it...
          Elda, i read the other day raw sewage is pumped into Bondi beach around 3 times a week..not sure if that's true though?..
          Euan..

Comment

What...you think the residents would tolerate that? Would you? I don't believe it.

Elda

Comment

In regard to the topic of smoke & fog...years ago when I was in Great Britain, we'd go down to London to sightsee, or shop. This sounds gross now, but it was a fact then. I'd get black soot inside my nose, and of course, the smoke & fog became smog, evidently. The buildings were all blackened, not as pretty as they are now. Of course, in those days of yore, London was called "The Old Smoke". Where I am now, in SE Indiana, I don't believe there's any smokiness. Only occasional fogs. Now pollen & mold are projected on all the news channels from Cincinnati, Dayton, & Indianapolis. JMO. Joan

Comment

Glasgow was the first city in Europe to ban the use of coal....only smokeless fuel was allowed. I'm trying to remember which year it was.....I think it was around the very early sixties because I remember in 1959 having to walk home from school because the smog was so thick you could not see your hand in front of your face. You couldn't see the end of the pavement where the kerb was and when I got home my face, particularly around the nose, was black with soot.

As far as I know the whole of the UK is smokeless now. Glasgow cleaned up all their beautiful old buildings in the CBD.....sandblasted them all to bring back the beautiful sandstone.

Elda

Comment

Elda, this is what i was reading the other day...i couldn't imagine THAT happening on our beaches in Queensland...
                  http://www.smh.com.au/environment/wa...707-2pk2d.html
                  Euan..

Comment

Originally posted by Euan View Post
                    Elda, this is what i was reading the other day...i couldn't imagine THAT happening on our beaches in Queensland...
                    http://www.smh.com.au/environment/wa...707-2pk2d.html
                    Like the article says people aren't always informed in time. I can't really see how they can remedy the problem other than to build bigger treatment works. It seems to be an overflow problem during prolonged rainy periods which we've just had. I reckon there's a lot of things the State & Federal Governments don't tell us.

Elda

Comment

Working...
                    X