A scorcher in the West of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A scorcher in the West of Scotland

I know that some of you may not believe this but today we had summer in Scotland. Down on the Clyde "riviera" it reached about 28c (82F). I know that is not hot for some of you but believe me that is HOT here. I do not think I can ever recall the beach at Ayr ever being so busy, even in the "good old days". The buses back to Glasgow were packed and I am guessing many of us "over 60's" were taking advantage of our free bus travel.
    Hope this lasts for a while yet.

Sandy

Re: A scorcher in the West of Scotland

Only problem with hot weather in Scotland is there are very few homes with air conditioning. I actually remember back in the early 70's Britain had to appoint a Minister of Drought. We had 13 straight weeks of nothing but sunshine and at the time I was living in Coventry right in the very heart of England do couldn't have been further from the sea. It was a tough period in many ways.

Alastair

Comment

Hi, attached is a photo I took,(23:10 Monday 8th July 2013) inside my computer room.

Just on 80 F

Taking Sparky (the dog) for walks today was exhausting for both of us...

Sorry, despite a file size of 52.5 KB, it still has not been put up, after 15 minutes !!

I now note the temperature has gone up to 84 F !!

Ranald

Comment

It's a different kind of heat there Sandy. 28 degC is a nice, pleasant day for us and it's not because we're acclimatized. I've been in Germany when it's been that hot and it feels much more uncomfortable than here. It seems to be much more humid. You have to experience it to know what I'm talking about.

Elda

Comment

Well we are half way through winter and i'm already waiting for summer....the temps here reached about 18c today and it was drizzly, whats with all this precipitation?...It's supposed to be dry and sunny during our winters...
          Euan..

Comment

Still sunny and warm (hot) here and supposed to last for a while yet and no rain...
            Sorry Euan but I do not miss the rain

Comment

I am preparing to fly out tomorrow to a family wedding, so was trying to haul cut down bushes bits n' pieces back to the woods. (Plus getting ready to be gone away.) It's so hot & humid here that I perspire so much & feel oppressed with it. Now, in the house, & with a bit of wind out there, it's a bit cooler. However, prior to that, it was about 84 deg F. The humidity was so high!! We've had much more than our usual amount of rains, almost like monsoons, practically every day for past couple of months. My beans are way taller than their normal, seeming to vine around like crazy.

Comment

We are baking in an oven this week on the East coast with the temps in the 90's. What a scorcher and with the awful humidity it really feels like 100F plus.

Comment

Working...
                X