Canadian weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian weather

Well not really breaking news but with the massive floods in Alberta and the sudden massive rain event which flooded Toronto we are sure seeing some weird weather of late.

Toronto got a full months rain in just 2 hours resulting in major flooding with some 100,000 people without power. I'm also told that the insurance companies don't usually cover flooding in Toronto so it's going to be a costly event for them.

As it happens I don't have flood insurance myself but I did inquire about that and the insurance company said there had never been a flood in Chatham. With all this weird weather I'm getting a touch uncertain as to whether I should have it just in case.

Alastair

Re: Canadian weather

I don't know how the insurance companies can differentiate between storms and floods because it's storms which cause floods. It's ridiculous.

Elda

Comment

I agree!

Alastair

Comment

They make the rules and apply them as they see fit. I remember when we had water in the basement way back in 2000. I was quit specific to make them aware that it was not "an act of God" nor was it a flood in our case (a flood is usually defined as water entering a building through doors, windows etc. The water that was coming into our house was a backup of the storm drains caused by bad engineering. Once I had that established we had no problems with the insurer. A neighbour, who was with the same insurer, was not so lucky because some of the water that got into their house was 'surface water' that got in through their garage.

Comment

Working...
        X