• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Older Workers More Reliable?

Are Older Workers More Reliable?
    By Rick Nauert PhD Senior News Editor
    Reviewed by John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on August 5, 2013

In general, most aspects of cognitive performance decline with age. But cognitive performance for the workforce is a different picture, say researchers from the Max Planck Institute for Human Development in Berlin.

Psychologists Drs. Florian Schmiedek, Martin Lövdén, and Ulman Lindenberger reviewed common issues such as “bad” memory days — when we forget where we put the car keys or miss an important meeting at work.

On days like that, our memory seems to let us down. But are there actually “good” and “bad” days for cognitive performance? And does age make a difference in the day-to-day variability in cognitive performance?

The research results are published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

The new findings reveal that while variability in cognitive performance does indeed exist, our personal impression that a whole day is either good or bad is often wrong. Rather, most performance fluctuations occur within shorter periods of time.

“True variability from day to day is relatively low,” said Schmiedek.

The data suggest that both day-to-day and within-day variability in cognitive performance are particularly low in older adults when compared to younger adults.

Testing over 200 younger (ages 20-31) and older (ages 65-80) adults on 12 different tasks revealed significant age differences. These tasks — testing perceptual speed, episodic memory, and working memory — were repeated across 100 days, enabling researchers to assess the participants’ learning improvements as well as their day-to-day performance fluctuations.

In all nine cognitive tasks assessed, the older group actually showed less performance variability from day to day than the younger group. The older adults’ cognitive performance was thus more consistent across days, and this picture remained unaltered when differences in average performance favoring the young were taken into account.

“Further analyses indicate that the older adults’ higher consistency is due to learned strategies to solve the task, a constantly high motivation level, as well as a balanced daily routine and stable mood,” said Schmiedek.

The findings are of importance for the debate about older people’s potential in the workplace.

“One of our studies in the car production industry has shown that serious errors that are expensive to resolve are much less likely to be committed by older staff members than by their younger colleagues,” said Axel Börsch-Supan, Ph.D., another researcher studying productivity of the labor force in aging societies at the Max Planck Institute.

“Likewise, in other branches of industry that we have studied, one does not observe higher productivity among the younger relative to the older workers.”

“On balance, older employees’ productivity and reliability is higher than that of their younger colleagues,” Börsch-Supan said.

Source: Association for Psychological Science

As per usual, I found this article to be rather thought provoking! Experienced this myself in the workplace, while working full time as a case manager. (with seriously mentally ill clients)

Re: Are Older Workers More Reliable?

I remember Arnold Clark, the car hire company in Scotland, said that younger people have no idea what an actual work day is all about. They further said that younger workers on the whole were MUCH less reliable than older workers and they were calling on colleges to instill a work ethic in their students and also encourages them to actually work a full day with them so they get used to an actual working week.

Alastair

Comment

I would put a lot of the blame on the way they are taught and have been taught in schools for the last 30 years. I've probably told this story before but I'll repeat it anyway. When my youngest son was in his last year of primary school I saw a marked math paper in his bag and was astounded to see that on one of the questions he'd been given half a mark for an incorrect answer. I brought this up with his teacher who told me that he'd given him that mark because he ALMOST got it right :unimpressed: You can imagine my reaction.....I told this teacher that he wasn't doing my son any favours as when he got into the workforce, his boss wasn't going to praise him for almost getting the job done right!!!!!:shocked:

They are taught these days that they have to have a career as opposed to a job. Also, they are encouraged in high school to lock in their selective subjects at an age when they really don't know what they are interested in doing. In my day you didn't get to select subjects until 4th form when you would have been 15/16 years of age. Nowadays they get to do it in 2nd year of high school at age 13/14..........too young!

Elda

Comment

And you'll likely note that when you do pick a career a lot of kids find they can't get a job in that career and end up doing something else just to get a job.

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
          And you'll likely note that when you do pick a career a lot of kids find they can't get a job in that career and end up doing something else just to get a job.

Alastair
          Exactly Alastair. I've lost count of the girls I've heard saying that they are studying fashion & design. How many fashion designers can the country/world support ? LOL!

Elda

Comment

Probably still a better degree than "History of Art" and other such non-starters.

Comment

Working...
            X