Jim Mather MSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Mather MSP

Jim Mather is the Minister for Tourism, Enterprise and Energy. He has recently posted up a blog entry about some of his work and thought I'd copy it here for you to read.

Falkirk and Linlithgow at the heart of energy and tourism developments
    BY JIM MATHER, ON JULY 15TH, 2010

My latest set of visits is much closer to home – Falkirk and Linlithgow in fact. It means less travel time, but the days are just as busy.

Biomass

Energy and tourism is the focus of my day and we start with a wide ranging session on the biomass industry in Scotland. This country’s energy potential never fails to excite me, and this session proved no different.

We had two fascinating and varied presentations from industry members, Stuart Goodall, Chief Executive of ConFor and Stuart Reid of Highland Wood Energy. Then it was over to the room.

The volume of wood used in renewable energy production in Scotland has increased by 300% over the last five years, providing a useful contribution to net carbon emission reduction, an additional market for Scottish timber and contributing to the development of jobs and small businesses in rural areas.

The event also highlighted the important contribution in both carbon and employment terms from the existing wood processing industries and we are determined to achieve sustainability and a balance with existing industries as the biomass sector grows.

For me, that is just the starting point for what the industry can achieve, and I was delighted that the session seemed to back up that view. Everyone seemed able to agree on the goal of cutting carbon emissions and stimulating economic growth and there were many ideas about how we might do more to get there.

On Government’s side, I listened with interest to the suggestion I write to the Department for Industry and Climate Change to demand greater clarity on the planned Renewable Heat Initiative and will be doing so in the very near future. I also agreed with the points made about the need to do more to demonstrate the success of biomass in operation. It is something I am happy to take up, and from now on will be looking to make more visits to see biomass heating schemes in operation.

I hope everyone at the session will have been able to take something out of it and I look forward to the industry and everyone connected with working together to generate even greater success.

Heartlands project

Next it was off to the Linlithgow Canal Society to see and hear about the fantastic Heartlands project that VisitScotland is supporting. Basically a group of businesses has got together and come up with a novel way of attracting visitors – its very own currency.

Included in a £250 short break for two, the £75 worth of vouchers can be used in exchange for a number of pursuits in the area, including trips on the Falkirk Wheel, hiring bikes and canal boats, visiting hotel spas or playing golf. It is the kind of excellent scheme I hope will prove contagious and be replecated across Scotland.

It’s a great idea, a great project and a day on the canal looks a great day out. I also saw the fantastic facilities at Kingsfield Golf Club – including a putting green that would not have looked out of place at Augusta.

To finish I should name check Ronnie Bamberry Chair of Scotland’s Heartland Tourism Project. Many good people have ensured the project has got off the ground, but Ronnie’s enthusiasm and drive are infectious. I know there are people like him doing unsung but crucial work across Scotland. I am looking forward to meeting them!

Celebrating growth and innovation in the Highlands
    BY JIM MATHER, ON JULY 15TH, 2010

My second day in the Highlands started in Inverness, where I joined representatives of Scotland’s five ski centres and several other public and private sector stakeholders for a discussion about Scotland’s ski industry, the issues and challenges it faces – and opportunities for the sector to sustain economic growth.

Building on ski season success

Scotland’s 2009/10 ski season has seen the best snow conditions for 30 years, resulting in a significant rise in ski days and visitor numbers. Our ski centres and their stakeholders are rightly keen to build on this success and recognise that the key to doing so will be diversification away from financial reliance on the winter season, and a focus on attracting visitors to enjoy a range of outdoor pursuits through the year.

We had an extremely productive discussion about how Scotland’s ski centres and their stakeholders can work together, learn from each other and from the successful diversification plans delivered in other countries, to make Scotland’s ski destinations an economic success all year round.

The comments, suggestions, and terrific ideas shared during this session – and of course any further comments posted on this blog – will be taken forward by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and Scottish Enterprise, who are preparing to embark on an independent strategic review of the skiing industry and will use such feedback to inform the brief for the project, which will be taken forward by independent consultants.

Scientific advances

My next stop was Highland Biosciences Ltd, where I was fascinated to meet directors Richard and Emma Day – an extremely bright management team who are making incredible scientific advances in their small laboratory alongside Loch Ness.

I was privileged to receive a demonstration of their core product – a disposable biosensor which offers rapid analysis of biological samples for research and development and quality analysis. It was heartening to see such talented, innovative people choosing to set up business and make incredible technological advances here in Scotland. This firm is truly punching above its weight and I’m delighted Richard and Emma have received support from Scottish Enterprise’s SMART: Scotland fund.

A Landmark visit

I then took a complete tour of Scotland – taking in some of our nation’s incredible sights, learning more about our fascinating history, and finding out what there is to see and do in our bustling towns and cities. In the interests of being efficient I did all of this in the space of an hour without even leaving Carrbridge!

My whistle-stop tour was possible thanks to Landmark Press, a thriving publishing company which produces a vast number of the visitor guides and leaflets upon which we rely to bring people to Scotland’s many visitor attractions.

Landmark’s manager, Sheila Adam, proudly showed off the company’s newly expanded premises, which have recently doubled in size thanks in part to £56,000 funding from Highlands and Islands Enterprise. This project has helped Landmark Press increase their turnover by £173,000 and I was delighted to hear from the staff about what a great difference this is making to their business.

Emerging marine technologies

My final stop in the Highlands tied in with the announcement of £13 million from the Government’s WATERS fund (Wave and Tidal Energy: Research, Development and Demonstration Support), to support the development of emerging marine energy technologies across five groundbreaking projects.

I was lucky to have an opportunity to visit AWS Ocean Energy’s incredible floating ‘doughnut’ device on Loch Ness – which will receive £1.39 million from the WATERS fund.

Inverness-based AWS Ocean Energy is investing heavily in the development of ideas and technologies that are helping to make Scotland synonymous with clean, new, energy sources. And though it was an exceptionally wet afternoon – with Loch Ness waters particularly choppy, I was fascinated to see this amazing technology being trialled up close.

Our seas have unrivalled potential to generate clean, green energy and bring jobs, investment and know how to Scotland. Projects such as the device on Loch Ness are putting us well on the road to a low carbon Scotland that maximises its resources for a sustainable future.

Economic growth in the Highlands
    BY JIM MATHER, ON JULY 12TH, 2010

As Tourism Minister I am lucky to get the opportunity to visit some of Scotland’s most incredible places. Earlier this week I had the pleasure of returning to our breathtaking Highlands.

And though I really enjoyed taking in the stunning surroundings, I didn’t get much chance as my primary focus was on the efforts of Highland communities and businesses to achieve sustainable economic growth in what continues to be a challenging financial climate.

Scrabster Harbour

My first port of call was Scrabster Harbour, where local efforts are firmly focused on ensuring this fishing port is ready and equipped to contribute to and reap the local economic benefits associated with marine energy developments in the Pentland Firth and Orkney Waters.
    Scrabster’s ideal location means the port carries significant potential to function as a hub for marine energy activity. Recognising this, the Scrabster Harbour Trust have drawn up ambitious redevelopment plans and are working on how to attract the funding they need.

I met with senior representatives from the Scrabster Harbour Trust and key public sector players to discuss how agencies can work together to make the Trust’s vision a reality. The meeting was extremely productive, with lots of positive, progressive contributions. Highland and Island Enterprise and Scottish Government officials will continue to support Scrabster Harbour Trust in taking forward their ambitious and forward looking plans. This kind of collaborative approach is exactly what the sessions I hold are all about.,.

SGL Carbon Fibres

I also had the real honour and pleasure of opening a new production line at SGL Carbon Fibres in Muir of Ord – made possible due to major investment in the site supported by the award of more than £1.2 million in Regional Selective Assistance.

This company, headquartered in Germany, is the largest employer in Ross-shire and has remained committed to the Muir of Ord since it acquired the facility in 1997. I joined the company Directors on a tour of the factory, and saw firsthand how the new production line will increase capacity, improve operating efficiency, and support local jobs.

Like many companies, SGL Carbon Fibres has been affected by the challenging financial climate and is continuing to take action to address this. The major investment in a new production line is solid evidence of this firm’s commitment to achieving sustainable economic growth and a great testament to the excellent ongoing work by the staff at the site.

It was fascinating to see the work going on – and the fact the public sector has been able to provide support shows that, again, working in partnership we can really make a difference and help sustain economic recovery.
Working...
X