Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Way To Control Rabbits (in regard to gardening!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Way To Control Rabbits (in regard to gardening!!)

The best way to control rabbits is with foxes.

The best way to control foxes is with badgers.

The best way to control badgers is with a pack of wolves.

The best way to control a pack of wolves is with a pride of mountain lions.

The best way to control a pride of mountain lions is with a herd of bison.

The best way to control a herd of bison is with a lawn full of onion grass.

The best way to control a lawn full of onion grass is with rabbits.

Not sure just how USEFUL this is, but felt that it was incredibly CLEVER!! Joan:shamrock::shamrock::redrose:

Re: The Best Way To Control Rabbits (in regard to gardening!!)

Extremely clever, Joan. Now, with all that smarts, do you have some advice on ridding me of a very plump little woodchuck? The little varmint is back and has done quite a job on the string and flax beans, and the broccoli - becoming plumper by the day - so much so, I managed to get within a couple yards of him - might manage to nail him soon. He's a rather ingenious little 'bee' as I prowl the fence looking for his latest entry point.

Comment

I wonder if the little lad in the picture might help you?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...i3YpUc84HlM%3A

Ranald

Comment

Get a Jack Russell~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
          Extremely clever, Joan. Now, with all that smarts, do you have some advice on ridding me of a very plump little woodchuck? The little varmint is back and has done quite a job on the string and flax beans, and the broccoli - becoming plumper by the day - so much so, I managed to get within a couple yards of him - might manage to nail him soon. He's a rather ingenious little 'bee' as I prowl the fence looking for his latest entry point.

Lizzie...You had me searching for a particular poem written by Maxine Kumin, called WOODCHUCKS...Here it is...long as it is!!!

Gassing the woodchucks didn't turn out right.
          The knockout bomb from the Feed and Grain Exchange
          was featured as merciful, quick at the bone
          and the case we had against them was airtight,
          both exits shoehorned shut with puddingstone,
          but they had a sub-sub-basement out of range.

Next morning they turned up again, no worse
          for the cyanide than we for our cigarettes
          and state-store Scotch, all of us up to scratch.
          They brought down the marigolds as a matter of course
          and then took over the vegetable patch
          nipping the broccoli shoots, beheading the carrots.

The food from our mouths, I said, righteously thrilling
          to the feel of the .22, the bullets' neat noses.
          I, a lapsed pacifist fallen from grace
          puffed with Darwinian pieties for killing,
          now drew a bead on the littlest woodchuck's face.
          He died down in the everbearing roses.

Ten minutes later I dropped the mother. She
          flipflopped in the air and fell, her needle teeth
          still hooked in a leaf of early Swiss chard.
          Another baby next. 0 one-two-three
          the murderer inside me rose up hard,
          the hawkeye killer came on stage forthwith.

There's one chuck left. Old wily fellow, he keeps
          me cocked and ready day after day after day.
          All night I hunt his humped-up form. I dream
          I sight along the barrel in my sleep.
          If only they'd all consented to die unseen
          gassed underground the quiet Nazi way.

PS: Am not really suggesting all of the murder as above!! But country folks do things like this!! Joan:unsure:

Comment

Loved the poem, Joan. It sure expressed the murderous thoughts swirling in my mind. Can't believe how destructive the little devil has been. Even took to taking a big bite out of my Big Boy tomatoes after decimating the broccoli and beans. BUT, I intend to be ready for him next year. He had little success entering where I had sunk the metal wiring on the back fence and I intend to complete on the front fence. Also, he never came around when my Charlie was here - so I plan to acquire four legs to monitor.

Comment

HI, Lizzie...Yes, I agree having some 4 legged "friends" does help. I didn't have a single rabbit eat my beans, as my tomcat Silk was lying in them. Now, I have 5 kittens, their mother (feral) & Silk out there. They're like having a little army. I had a Scottie years ago, & she used to dig up all the moles who were inundating our property with tunnels. It's kind of wild, she, the Scottie was born same year as my youngest. IF she'd lived, the Scottie would have been 45 this year!! Wild reckonings! Heh?

Comment

Hello Joan:

Bad news to report. The little devil is back and setting up home in a hole in the neighbor's yard. The little rascal was watching my efforts of seeding the beds. The little head peering over the brim made a quick dive to hide when I approached to snarl, "I'll flood you out you little #@**#!!!!
                I realized I never had a problem when I had my dogs. Time to get another Charlie!

Comment

Hey...Lizzie! I am much more "behind" on my garden efforts. So far, the only stuff I've planted is Elephant garlic cloves. I do have a large bed of chickweed, which I will have to pull & hoe out. Just kind of hard to get "my engine" going these allergy ridden days! All for you, pal. Take care, J

Comment

HI, all...Was out yesterday, digging, hoeing, & planting seeds in one of my garden beds. Today, I was quite sore, but got "a wild hair", & went out dressed as I am, not in old clothes. I pulled at least most of that chickweed, which looked like hay piled in my garden cart. I did stir up some sweet ants, but got them shaken off. I looked up the night before, & saw 3 rabbits out on the cut grass alongside the barn. That's what I get for cutting grass!! Still have one cat out there, so, perhaps he'll keep the rabbits out of my garden. J

Comment

Working...
                    X