To Alastair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Alastair

Just thought I'd ask you again Alastair if you are still smoking? It's now 3 and a half years since I gave up....mind you, I suck a lot of mints :-), but it's a lot cheaper and healthier than smoking.

rgds
    Elda

Re: To Alastair

I'm still smoking Elda. I actually smoke cigarettes from the Indian reservation nearby. I get 200 for CAN$15.00 which I understand is about AUS$16.00.

I remember reading an article from a journalist that smoked and he commented when he tried to give up his writing went down the tube as he wasn't as creative. Certainly I smoke most of my cigarettes when working on my computer.

Alastair

Comment

Hi, for Pall Mall (not Super King size) 200 costs BP 61.10 - CAD 99.51 and AUD 106.05.

Value Added Tax is £10.18 and included in the above UK price.

The size of the cigarettes is now the same, or near to the old 'Mines a Minor' !!!

Added to the tobacco are fire resistant items, alleged to let the burning stop if air is not drawn in by smoking.
      In my opinion it does not always work , and are the additions as bad or any worse than the tobacco!!

To think that the government 'GAVE me cigarettes FREE', when I was in the army.

Ranald
      Last edited by Ranald; 29 August 2013, 17:15. Reason: added a line

Comment

I would truly encourage those who smoke to give it up, for health & not having to put out the cash. I was about 19 yrs old when started smoking in college. When I was 26, with 2 little boys, my mother asked me & my two brothers, older & younger, to quit smoking. I did, with much difficulty, gave away an engraved lighter, all ashtrays, & any other paraphenalia of smoking. I did gain weight, but now have that under control. In the meantime, my mother died of cancer, then later my eldest brother died of cancer. Hard lessons learned!!! (when I'd started, we got cigs for $1.50 a carton on base) What is your life worth??? Joan

Comment

Jeesh! How wrong is that to allow Native Canadians to buy tobacco much cheaper? Do they allow alcohol cheaper too? Is it so that paying them cheaper wages can be justified? :shocked:

Elda

Comment

They don't pay taxes and Al is one of those who help perpetuate this...

Comment

The natives do not pay the tobacco tax and for the most part in our area get the same wages as anyone else. Of course our natives do not pay any income tax either so in effect are earning more than the rest of us that do.
              Fortunately I quit smoking when I retired which was in 1986.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Ah well... I started smoking at around 13 and I don't plan to stop smoking at this time. I often feel a cigarette helps to calm me down. My mother and father also smoked so if you take in second hand smoke then I've been smoking for some 62 years.

Alastair

Comment

That's ridiculous that the natives should earn the same but not pay the taxes. Very wrong.

One thing I've sworn to do is to NOT become one of those "born again" smokers who complain about all the smokers. It doesn't bother me to be around a smoker unless they blow smoke right in my face and I didn't like that even as a smoker.

Elda

Comment

What happens with 'your' natives. If they live on a 'reserve' do they pay taxes no matter where they work?
                    Sandy

Comment

I'm not sure about which taxes they do not pay. They may pay some to the reserve for essentials.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Originally posted by sandyc View Post
                        What happens with 'your' natives. If they live on a 'reserve' do they pay taxes no matter where they work?
                        Sandy
                        WE don't really have reserves here. Up in far north Queensland, Northern Territory and on some islands, there are some "communities", I believe, where alcohol is banned but that is at the direction of the natives themselves. If they work they pay the same taxes and pay the same as everyone else for goods & services.

Elda

Comment

I'm also not sure how things work on the Reserves in Canada... perhaps that should be my next subject for research for my Canadian site.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                          X