Bono on Seamus Heaney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bono on Seamus Heaney

Bono on Seamus Heaney: 'His words have kept me afloat'The U2 frontman talks about the strength he draws from Seamus Heaney's poetry.

Seamus Heaney, the Irish poet, died Aug. 30, @ 74 yrs old. I am a lay person, who truly loves poetry. Have written a few myself. I have some books of Mr. Heaney's poetry, & felt that his passing should be noted in some way. Joan :shamrock:

The Observer, Saturday 31 August 2013

Every meeting I've ever had since I began full-time advocacy, I have brought with me a book of Seamus Heaney's poems. I always think if you're asking somebody for something it's a good idea to give them something first. So I always gave them Seamus Heaney's poems. This is from the pope to every president I have ever met. In this past week I gave Seamus's book Electric Light to President Johnson Sirleaf in Liberia. She's currently obsessed with the efforts to bring electricity to her people so she could not believe it.

Seamus has been with me on every journey I have taken, and there have been many times when a retreat into his words has kept me afloat. Most of our life in this kind of work is very concrete, full of facts, but we all have to seek redress from time to time in poetry. Seamus was where I went for that. He was the quietest storm that ever blew into town. As an activist, From the Republic of Conscience has been like a bible for me, something I return to and have returned to for as long as I can remember. Some of those phrases are like tattoos for me, worn very close to the heart.

Re: Bono on Seamus Heaney

Hi Joan, I must admit not being a poetry lover... with some exceptions.

I did find (if you scroll down a little) on the following site, audio with a few poems spoken by the man himself.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/aud...-chain-podcast

Ranald

Comment

Working...
    X