Jane Espie Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Espie Update

I first heard of Jane while looking for bagpipe uploads on YouTube a few years ago and was impressed with her playing of older ceol beg. After a little research learned that she began a journey with piping as a young girl in a pipe band. As a young adult continued with pipe band work including providing tuition to younger people just starting out. She also toured briefly with groups incorporating bagpipes with contemporary music Genres.

A few years ago she was severely injured as a result of an automobile accident and almost gave up on piping. Having recovered by 2013 she was invited to join an Austrian contemporary music group, 'Celtica Pipes Rock' and has been touring with them over the summer.

It came to my attention that Celtica Pipes Rock would be among the groups performing at the 2013 Longs Peak Festival, September 5-8, 2013 in Estes Park Colorado. I sent miss Espie an email inviting her to meet some wolfhounds at the RMIWA rescue booth.

Miss Espie took time out from a very busy performance schedule to introduce herself and meet the hounds. She is a very tall, personable young lady. After a brief visit she invited me to hear one the the Celtica performances scheduled for later in the afternoon.

While I am not fond of a lot of contemporary music, I was very surprised at how miss Espie and Celtica piper, Gajus Stappen were able to incorporate the Great Highland Bagpipe into contemporary sounds. I watched a capacity audience ranging in ages from adolescent to middle age move to the sounds and and shouting encouragement to a very energetic performance.

I foresee a new generation of pipers continuing a piping tradition of ceol mor and ceol beg and incorporating non traditional music forms for audiences not normally familiar with and appreciative of the Great Highland Bagpipe.

I will end this missive with the suggestion that if a reader has the opportunity to meet miss Espie that they should certainly do so.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...84699583_n.jpg
    Last edited by miolchu; 8 September 2013, 09:16.

Re: Jane Espie Update

Didn't know she'd been in a car accident but good to know she's got over it and is doing well.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
    X