Are you into Trains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you into Trains?

I thought I'd post up a few videos of train trips in Canada which I thought you might enjoy. A couple are to do with the Canadian Pacific Railway coast to coast. Another is a long train trip taken from the drivers point of view.

You see these at the foot of the page at: http://www.electriccanadian.com/transport/

Alastair

Re: Are you into Trains?

I'd love to do that trip. It's advertised on TV here but they don't say how much it is. I always wanted to go on the Orient Express but settled for travelling on the Ghan here between Darwin & Alice Springs on the inaugral year of the opening of the track. Loved it :laugh2: There's another trip I'd love to do which is cruising from Sydney around the north to Perth then training it back (a 3 day trip from Perth to Sydney).

Elda

Comment

I've had that video of great length with Murray Sayle, for many years. I do truly enjoy watching it. Like the part about the train trip up to Churchill, and the polar bears. I tend to crave those wide, open, spaces...& always have. Murray is quite the interesting character himself. Hope others will watch it. Joan

Comment

I would also like to do the coast to coast trip but guess what? No smoking! I can manage half a day but that's a three day trip!!!

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
          I would also like to do the coast to coast trip but guess what? No smoking! I can manage half a day but that's a three day trip!!!

Alastair
          That's the beauty of giving up smoking Alastair. I no longer have to think about it. It actually gives you more freedom to do more things.

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
            I'd love to do that trip. It's advertised on TV here but they don't say how much it is.
            Elda
            I am not sure how much of that trip can be done anymore. The CPR does not operate passenger trains any more, just freight trains. Passenger service is under Via which is a hybrid of CPR and CNR. The trip through the Rocky Mountains which Via does not do has been taken over by the Rocky Mountaineer which is probably the ad that you have seen since they do a lot of advertising.

Did the Sydney to Perth trip on the train - very enjoyable.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Hey, Hugh & all, I agree, as if one does watch the one of Murray Sayle, he says that he's on the last long trip across Canada. I had often wanted to do it, but fear it's too late now. (Also, when I had the $, didn't have the time, now have some of the time, but not the $!) Years ago, I traveled by train often, from E. Suffolk to London, & also down to Salisbury. Then from Munich up to the Hook of Holland by train, to the ship over to Harwich. Loved traveling that way!

Joan

Comment

I used to enjoy the great English breakfast on British Rail when I travelled in England. Don't know if they still do it as it was a lot of years ago.

Alastair

Comment

I'm also a fan of trains, and am old enough to remember the steam locomotives whistling through northern Saskatchewan. One of my few epiphanies in life was to find that it's cheaper to take a train from coast to coast in Scotland, and back again, than it is to fill my gas tank in Canada. And for Joan and others who love the era of great music, here's a link to "Festival Express", a fabulous cross-Canada rock tour by rail. It has some great concerts and lots of off-stage shenanigans by the 60s greats, including a couple of the last appearances by Janis Joplin. One of my nostalgic indulgences that I hope others enjoy: http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/sea...stival+express.

Comment

Hi Rick, thanks for the link.

That was never my kind of music, but they gave a great many folk, just what they wanted, when it came to music and 'song'.

Thanks again....

On another topic... I am fortunate to have the Bo'ness Steam railway just along the road. I used it once, a tour to Fort William and beyond.

Many of the passengers were from the south, and when the train stopped at a highland station, they poured out and gathered heather from the earth banks.

I got off at Lochailort, as I was being met by a friend. On seeing his car approaching, I lay down across the road. My friend drove to within 2 feet from me, much to the horror of the heather gathering tourists. I got up and started to enter the car, and looking a the open mouthed crowd, said 'its the only way to get these taxi blighters to stop'. Closing the door my friend then drove off.

I often wonder if the 'story' was ever related, once the 'viewers' arrived home.

Ranald
                    Last edited by Ranald; 5 October 2013, 17:34. Reason: Spelling etc

Comment

Working...
                    X