New Computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer!

HI to all! As today is MY BIRTHDAY, my eldest son had a new modem (or computer) sent to me. I had been in "the dark ages" with a Windows XP OS, since 2002. I'm just now beginning to get a bit more proficient on this one, Lenovo Win 7. The main difficulty is this: I'd "backed up" all my computer files previously with the old computer, on a outside portable system called Memeo/Seagate, which again my son had given me for backup. Now would like to get those files back, into this computer (new one). After working on getting a good many programs into this one, since yesterday at noon, I'm getting tired of WORKING so hard!!! Meanwhile doing household chores on top of these added computer chores. Has anyone had anything to do with downloading to new computer from back up on Memeo/Seagate. I hope to install Memeo on this computer, using password, etc. Then will try to reinstall those precious pictures, etc., that have been stored on the Memeo. Thanks for Happy Birthday from ES!

Older but wiser, Joan

Re: New Computer!

Hi Joan,

First a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, what's it like to reach 21 ?

As for your new computer....

You would need know the model of each computer, and what version of Windows on your old machine.

Also if there are USB ports on each

For backup I use an external drive with 458 GB, and USB connection Backup is automatic so you don't have to remember !

In no way do I have 'expert' knowledge, and am fortunate to have one the IS. He 'remotely' comes on to my machine to sort a problem, or just give it a 'tidy up.

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 30 September 2013, 16:12. Reason: added a line

Comment

Joan, if I were you I'd take it to my local computer whiz and get him to do it. It couldn't cost much I wouldn't think.

Elda

Comment

Happy Birthday Joan..
        I could give instructions to help restore a back-up, however i don't know how proficient you are on the computer. If you are familiar with Control panel, you will find backup and restore listed there, and you just need to attach the portable hard-drive to your laptop and follow the instructions.
        Now, you said you had pictures on the portable hard drive, if these pictures are just stored there, it's a simple procedure to attach the hard drive to your laptop, usually via USB, and go to "my computer" and it will have your portable hard drive listed usually after :C drive and the DVD drive.From there simply copy them back to a folder of your choice.
        If you find difficulty in doing any of this, take Elda's advice and pay a computer expert a small fee and have them do it for you.
        Euan..

Comment

Happy birthday Joan. So that's why you haven't been on enigma machine yet!

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Good advice from Euan. However, if you have Windows 8 installed you may have to navigate away from the first screen to "desktop" to find the "My Computer" icon...

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Euan View Post
              Happy Birthday Joan..
              I could give instructions to help restore a back-up, however i don't know how proficient you are on the computer. If you are familiar with Control panel, you will find backup and restore listed there, and you just need to attach the portable hard-drive to your laptop and follow the instructions.
              Now, you said you had pictures on the portable hard drive, if these pictures are just stored there, it's a simple procedure to attach the hard drive to your laptop, usually via USB, and go to "my computer" and it will have your portable hard drive listed usually after :C drive and the DVD drive.From there simply copy them back to a folder of your choice.
              If you find difficulty in doing any of this, take Elda's advice and pay a computer expert a small fee and have them do it for you.
              I am sitting here at 10:45 PM, with a big smile on my face! Thank you, thank you! I had even talked with my local "computer tech", & she knows her stuff, but so far, I'd had "no joy". Have tried so many things, including asking the same question on my external backup's community forum. Should have asked here first of all. I got all my pics & videos back into my files. I will go into them tomorrow & delete ones I don't want anymore. However I do use some of these unusual pictures when I make cards to send to family & friends, i.e. something for a child, or whatever. It only took a minute before the files came streaming in! I had previously "captured" some videos & a few other things. Euan, you're a great guy!

Thanks again,

Joan

PS: my computer is a Windows 7 OS. I have been getting used to it a bit, but It's so different from my Windows XP. Have been using computers off & on for many years, worked starting 2002 on one everyday, when working with seriously mentally ill clients, for my job. That went on for 4 yrs, but I couldn't do anything personal on the work one. I did get one here at the home in I think, 2003, so have lots of pictures.
              Last edited by FriedaKateM; 2 October 2013, 22:01. Reason: addendum

Comment

Only too happy to help! And i'm glad it went without problems.
                Euan..

Comment

Am still "working" on this computer, but have made much progress. I deleted a good many "pictures", & now also some "old emails" that I'd evidently just left in place. Now this computer does work a lot faster. I don't like the keyboard much, nor the mouse, but will perhaps get used to them. They are also both Lenovo. The previous mouse which worked perfectly well, was "rejected" by the OS. I had to go ahead, & use the new Lenovo mouse. Thank goodness, one learns as one goes on! Thanks.

Joan...

Comment

Hi Joan, what is so different about the mouse and keyboard?
                    To keep the new machine working well you should also learn how to 'clear out' all the crap that Windows leaves lying around on your PC.
                    Every often you should got to "My Computer", right click on C:drive; click on Properties';click on "Disk Cleanup" and follow the instructions. Depending on how often you do that it can take quite a while to 'run'.

Sandy

Comment

Hi, Sandy...Basically, I was used to my other mouse, as I'd liked how it moved better. However, it seemed as soon as I got Lenovo computer hooked up, the previous mouse froze, couldn't be moved! And the keyboard is flatter, harder to see as keys shallower, & feel overall, these two items seem to be manufactured in a much cheaper way. They both feel more "frail, or fragile" than my previous ones.

However, I am mainly very pleased to be working on this set-up, as Win 7 is much faster than Win XP. I'd been concerned that after April, that XP wouldn't be supported by Microsoft. I do like this, but it's difficult to start over again! There's a few other things I don't care for, but sure that I will adjust.

Thanks for the assist. This computer has its own back-up, but I think I'll continue to use Memeo Seagate, which is a little black box, with USB cable, which does back up my files. The only thing I haven't been able to find is my music files. And frankly, I don't really need them.

Joan

Comment

Just a quick post...to see IF anyone else on here uses Mozilla Firefox for a browser. I'd been advised some time ago, to have it on my system...just in case something on Windows XP (now 7) freezes up. I've been having problems with Adobe Digital Editions, & thought it just might help in regard to those difficulties. However, so far am still in the process of attempting many different things. Let me know what you all (not Southern!) know about Mozilla. Thanks, Joan

Comment

Joan,
                          I have internet explorer and google chrome and I have noticed that either the browser doesn't like some sites or some sites prefer one browser to the other. I'm not sure which it is but, for example, this web site seems to prefer internet explorer and so does Facebook......funny thing is that google itself seems to prefer IE.

Elda

Comment

I use the same mix Elda and do not notice any problems with ES or FB on Chrome.
                            The only reason I have IE is exactly because some sites do not work with Chrome. I did try Firefox at one point years ago and never really saw any reason to stay with it...

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                            X